The Boots of Springheel Jak, aren't you supposed to die if....

AltreU

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't completed the Thieves Guild and don't want some of the events to be spoiled, don't read.

I remember the first time I played Oblivion, I became fascinated with getting out of the boundaries and generally reaching places that would require much deliberate effort (as in you couldn't accidentally do some of what I tried to do, or at least not to my knowledge). So, I raised my skills as high as I could, this being done on the 360 version, and used enchanting to get even higher.

When I was doing the Thieves Guild, I had no idea what the boots of Springheel Jak were for. In fact, most of the quest items required for that quest remained in my inventory, unless it had to be used or given away to advance. Come time to escape the tower, I found my way to the fireplace and dropped down. At first, I didn't realize it was a drop-I thought it was some secret door leading to a secret tunnel that I could walk through. So when the game loaded and I was free to move, I saw the wall and though, "Either the wall is moving up or I'm moving down....", which is when I looked down and saw that I was falling fast down a chute. Take in mind, I had extremely high acrobatics, so I assumed that my safe landing was because I was so awesomely "prepared".

My older brother, who practically lives in his room in my grandparents house, was surprised by this exclaimed, "What the f*ck? You actually managed to do something spectacular with your ridiculously high stats." (he previously told me that raising my stats over 100 wouldn't do anything, which is true for some stats, but at the time, I thought that as long as the number went higher, you'd be stronger)

I was satisfied and ran off not even aware that I now carried boots that raised my acrobatics by 50 (I hadn't even checked the boots stats, I assumed they were simple quest items). My brother then told me that the boots were enchanted and he said that I couldn't get rid of them. I then (after finishing the Guild) went on a spider-man style jumping spree.

Now, I had read something somewhere previously that you would die regardless of skill if you didn't have the boots on. Is this true? If so, then the game glitched or fate demanded me have super boots. I also had some other quest items from the Thieves quest line, but I can't remember what. Maybe I just stole them back (which my brother tricked me into doing at some point. I saved after......).

You can live the fall without the boots but it is very rare and your skills have to be very high and a lot of health but you can live it good job those boots come in handy alot!

You can live the fall without the boots but it is very rare and your skills have to be very high and a lot of health but you can live it good job those boots come in handy alot!

Actually its quite easy to survive the fall

there's a hole in the game mechanics that's big enough to sail the Lusitania through.

save the game during the fall!!! when you reload, you'll live

Now, I had read something somewhere previously that you would die regardless of skill if you didn't have the boots on. Is this true?

Nope, not true. It's difficult to survive without the boots but possible. I did it too with one of my characters. And... if you wear the boots while jumping for the quest, they will be removed from your inventory at the bottom. (That happened with another one of my characters.) You only get to keep them if you do not wear them to survive the jump.

there's a hole in the game mechanics that's big enough to sail the Lusitania through.

well thats the cheating way..if you go through the painstaking work of jumping and running everwhere oyu go then its a bit hard.

well thats the cheating way..if you go through the painstaking work of jumping and running everwhere oyu go then its a bit hard.

or just make a spell of fortifying the appropriate skill -- its easy.

As I said, my character was buffed out stat wise. I got my character to level 46 on the 360 version (the one I kept the boots with) and I managed to do ridiculous things with him. He had a set of armor/clothing for each stat and nearly every stat I saw interest in had been maxed or nearly maxed naturally. I had a whole summer to work this character through (this was about 3 years ago, I was 15 at the time) and nothing standing in my way to keep me from playing all day....other than my brother (who was about 23) when he wanted to sleep.

The boots, according to the game, are supposed to break on impact. My little bro managed that.

Jumping accomplishments: out of the paint realm area, out of every major town, out of the iceglade area (mage guild quest?), gate traveling though Oblivion realms (though one gate on the east, out another on the south), chapel climbing, extreme mountain climbing (to the boundaries, and the list goes on. I pretty much explored every quirk in the game possible for the 360, which is why I got the PC version.

I also remember killing the Gatekeeper without meaning to. My brother told me it was impossible before I did it. I believed him, but my character was too powerful to get killed by the Gatekeeper anyways, so I had fun with him. My normal "battle armor" had over 200% damage reflect on it and my weapon had health drain 100 on it, along with poisons that would constantly be applied. Eventually, his regen couldn't keep up with the damage I guess and he flat out died. Never had to start the little quest with the towns people (didn't even know about that until a year later when I got the game). Remembering that character makes me feel accomplished!

wow your character sounds beast very good job! i cannot even imagine the time it took to make that character so strong and i bet oyu jumped high enough that when you hit it countes as fall damage lol very nice!

lol that actually happened a lot when travelling. My speed, athletics, and acrobatics combined would whittle my health down when going through the woods or when traversing the Isles. I don't remember an exact number, but imagine playing Oblivion for nearly 7 weeks straight and about 16 hours a day. I remember also renting some movies and a few other games as well....but yeah. As pitiful as it sounds, it was still a fun experience and if not for my brother (and a friend I had met freshman year), I'd have never gotten into Oblivion.

Sadly, my brother doesn't live with us. I was visiting my grandparents for the summer break. So it was his 360. I got my own the next Christmas and Oblivion was the first game I got for it. Now I'm all like, "Oooooooo, what's this mod do? Gotta have that mod! Can't play without that other mod. Ghhhyyyaaaa! My meshing and textures don't match! Nipples don't go there!"

I'll probably remember this game (series....) on my death bed, if I make it that far.

lol that actually happened a lot when travelling. My speed, athletics, and acrobatics combined would whittle my health down when going through the woods or when traversing the Isles. I don't remember an exact number, but imagine playing Oblivion for nearly 7 weeks straight and about 16 hours a day. I remember also renting some movies and a few other games as well....but yeah. As pitiful as it sounds, it was still a fun experience and if not for my brother (and a friend I had met freshman year), I'd have never gotten into Oblivion.

Sadly, my brother doesn't live with us. I was visiting my grandparents for the summer break. So it was his 360. I got my own the next Christmas and Oblivion was the first game I got for it. Now I'm all like, "Oooooooo, what's this mod do? Gotta have that mod! Can't play without that other mod. Ghhhyyyaaaa! My meshing and textures don't match! Nipples don't go there!"

I'll probably remember this game (series....) on my death bed, if I make it that far.

lol yeah half the fun in installing mods is trying to get them to work lol :yes: