Low FPS issue in major cities with 7770 , 7850, GTX 660 and even GTX 680

smilefamily

dear fellas, please help meh

i'm really frustrated how to fix this. no matters i set the presets to low, medium, high, even ultra i always facing this issue.

i already tried it with many GPU but its still problem. i checked it with msi afterburner and it says the GPU Usage only 70% in these locations: the beginning of solitude (right when entering the city and facing the market, the bridge in riften, the stairs in front of Dragonsreach when facing the big trees, the highest place in markath when facing down.

last year i played it with HD 7770 + 4GB RAM + Phenom II X4 965 4.0Ghz running on medium 768p i got the lowest around ~20 fps in solitude when facing the market, and in riften when facing the bridge.

and then i trade my 7770 with 7850, modify the preset to high but still got the lowest around ~20 fps on those locations.

last month my specs changes so much. i'm using FX-6300 3.5Ghz + 6GB RAM + GTX 660 OC running on high 1080p, still got a huge dips.

wonder why? then i upgraded my GPU again with GTX 680, but now i'm running on ultra settings. the lowest i got in solitude was 21 fps.

actually, with those cards i always got a good frame rate except on a location i mentioned above. i feel annoyed how much money i spends but the problem still occur.

what i love the most was windhelm, no fps drops. i always got 45-60 fps there.

what must i do?

care to share your ini settings for me?

or maybe there's some mod or even patches i missed.

here is a pic if curious

http://i57.tinypic.com/2hrzash.jpg

valkasha is right about no difference between high and ultra but still somethings up,you shouldn't be getting fps that low,i cant say what amd processor's are like as i have a intel i5 2500k, amd R9 280x with an extremely heavily modded with seasons of skyrim enb and i still see 48fps outside at all times,skyrim is a very cpu dependant game (much more then gpu,unless you mod),have you tried cutting your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini to desktop and getting the game to re-make the ini's?

Edited by Phoenix_1982

Don't run on ultra? It's very unnecessary, stick to high and you won't notice a significant difference.

really? i notice a difference with all sliders maxed it looks more detailed

valkasha is right about no difference between high and ultra but still somethings up,you shouldn't be getting fps that low,i cant say what amd processor's are like as i have a intel i5 2500k, amd R9 280x with an extremely heavily modded with seasons of skyrim enb and i still see 48fps outside at all times,skyrim is a very cpu dependant game (much more then gpu,unless you mod),have you tried cutting your skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini to desktop and getting the game to re-make the ini's?

ok then i will try turn it down to high.

you know i got around 48~60fps outside but the culprit is the towns like i mentioned before.

i guess i will try deleting skyrim ini and skyrimprefs ini cause i never delete them since i'm using Athlon II X2 > Phenom II X4 965 and now Vishera FX-6300

thanks all

=================================================================================================================================

ok here is what i did:

turn down AA to 0 > more jaggies, no FPS improve

turn down AA to 2 > nothing difference than 8XAA, no FPS improve, so i'll stick with 2 since 8 is useless too

turn down settings to high > more stable 60 FPS, the lowest now is 37 FPS, its just like you guys said, nothing difference with ultra. i'll stick with high now

turn down shadow to medium > the lowest now ~40 FPS..

so the shadow is the culprit! damn you shadow.. but you are not the culprit of my low GPU usage and the 20FPS drops on those locations.

still wondering why everyone not having the problem like me.

are you sure your not getting fps drops on those locations like me?

its huge drops, though. around 20fps..

Edited by smilefamily

until i installed seasons of skyrim (to be expected as seasons of skyrim is a killer but looks amazing) my fps never dipped below 50,but my game is heavily modded now so i only get 45 fps outside 60 in interiors (texture pack covers 95% of skyrim lol) now so ive had to optimise all textures that are safe to optimise,i run project optimisation,unofficial skyrim and dlc patch's,tweaked my ini's as there is a drop off point where increasing the settings has little visual effect (just dont ever tweak papyrus settings as it does more harm then good) ive also cleaned the skyrim esps using tes5edit (always back them up any esps you intend of cleaning),i also use skse memory patch so i never see sudden fps drops at all.

haha yeah most of Bethesda's games its always the shadows that cause problems (atleast from experience)

this is the guide i use for ini tweaking,you dont have to follow the guide strictly,if you dont wait to change a setting (or feel you got it perfect already just move on to the next one.)

Edited by Phoenix_1982

Do you use mods that enhance cities like Dawn of Solitude etc.? I found those having a huge impact on my FPS. Also mods that add lots of NPC's will have impact.

yeah, forgot to mention that i just uninstalled them and got an improvement around ~5-7 FPS.

until i installed seasons of skyrim (to be expected as seasons of skyrim is a killer but looks amazing) my fps never dipped below 50,but my game is heavily modded now so i only get 45 fps outside 60 in interiors (texture pack covers 95% of skyrim lol) now so ive had to optimise all textures that are safe to optimise,i run project optimisation,unofficial skyrim and dlc patch's,tweaked my ini's as there is a drop off point where increasing the settings has little visual effect (just dont ever tweak papyrus settings as it does more harm then good) ive also cleaned the skyrim esps using tes5edit (always back them up any esps you intend of cleaning),i also use skse memory patch so i never see sudden fps drops at all.

haha yeah most of Bethesda's games its always the shadows that cause problems (atleast from experience)

this is the guide i use for ini tweaking,you dont have to follow the guide strictly,if you dont wait to change a setting (or feel you got it perfect already just move on to the next one.)

to be honest i'm using CoT + Project ENB + 2K HD Textures + SMIM + etc.

but when i removed them it doesnt give me huge difference on my frame rates.

recently i just discovered something. no matters i set the settings nor tweaking the ini's, the gap is still +20fps drops.

for example i set it on ultra and got 48 fps everywhere except those culprit areas i got 20 fps.

and i set it on high i got 60fps+ everywhere except those culprit areas i got 35-40fps. but worser graphic yeah

Mods? No mods?

got so much mods installed of course lol