Skyrim keeps crashing, I don't know what else to try.

Eferas

Hi, I'm modding Skyrim on my new pc for days now (I think 4 days now) and I still can't make it works. The game keeps crashing when I start a new game (just after you see the Thalmors, but before the carraige stops) or while I'm playing with my test save.

I watched a lot of tutorials on youtube and read all kind of topics, I'm using BOSS, LOOT and NMM to install mods and fix the load order.

I checked all the esp files have their required masters, the mods seem compatible with each other from the descriptions, I tried installing the Unofficial Patches and without (now I'm without the patches and Hearthfire DLC), every times I unistalled the game, deleted everything left and installed it again. I also run TES5Edit to look for errors, I think there aren't but I may have missed something, I'm not used to this tools.

I don't know what else to do. Can someone please help me? Thanks for your patience.

This are my system and my load order:

Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50GHz

SAPPHIRE R9 270X 4GB

8GB RAM

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Dragonborn.esm
daymoyl.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
JSwords.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Brows.esp
NB-Scars.esp
Animations.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
Dr_BandolierDG.esp
DSAMG - Greybeard Fix.esp
Beards.esp
DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp
SplashofRain.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp
Tamriel Reloaded.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
FA Guard Helmet.esp
Followers_StealthKills.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
AFT_NoFriendlySpellDamage.esp
3DNPC.esp
Prometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
Armor Addons.esp
Immersive NPC in the dark.esp
iHUD.esp
ImprovedSneakDetection.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
ETaC - BDS Patch.esp
Smoking Torches.esp
VioLens.esp
No More Glowing Edges.esp
ShieldProtectFromMagic.esp
Headtracking.esp
Prometheus_NSUTR BDS Patch.esp
The Bastard.esp
SimpleTaxes.esp
SkyRe_Survivalism.esp
SkyUI.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
MinimalHUD.esp
Customizable Camera.esp
SleepTight.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dragonborn.esp
YOT - Dragonborn.esp
Taverns.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
Feminine Females.esp
Clothing & Clutter_3DNPC_Patch.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
DawnofSolitude.esp
BF.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
ProudspireManorImprovements.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
Rise of the Legend - Ysgramor.esp
Immersive Solstheim.esp
Armored Skeleton.esp
Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
BFT Ships and Carriages.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
JKs Whiterun.esp
JKs Riften.esp
Inigo.esp
Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges - All In One - Merged.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
The Honored Dead.esp
ViewableFactionRanksBothDLC.esp
YOT - Dawnguard.esp
WarmongerArmory_Vanilla.esp
WarmongerArmory_DLC.esp
WarmongerArmory_LeveledList.esp
Cloaks.esp
1nivWICCloaksNoGuards.esp
impgen.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves.esp
Populated Lands Roads Paths.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes_Dawnguard.esp
Populated Cities Towns Villages.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes_Dragonborn.esp
RSChildren_DB.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch-NoGuards.esp
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp
TCOSS.esp
Khajiit Merchants Buy Stolen Items.esp
Skyhaven_modified.esp
Farm Animals.esp
Farmers Sell Produce - Skyrim.esp
BetterHunting2.esp
ExtraBlades.esp
JKs Whiterun exterior.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp
Chesko_Frostfall.esp
YOT - Frostfall Module.esp
DawnofMarkarth.esp
Populated Prisons.esp
SL01AmuletsSkyrim.esp
StormLord.esp
CollegeDormDoors.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
Populated Skyrim Civil War.esp
SofiaFollower.esp
daymoyl_DawnguardAddon.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Dragonborn.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Extended Encounters.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Waves - Dawnguard.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Dawnguard.esp
iNeed.esp
Equipping Overhaul.esp
A&P weight change only..esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
theRoadstrokersRogueSorceress.esp
WetandCold.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
YOT - Your Own Thoughts.esp
zzArmormashups.esp
zzzSXP.esp
TKDodge.esp
UltimateCombat.esp
UltimateDragons.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
ReProccer.esp

Edited by Eferas

The first thing I'd do is install Wrye Bash, run it, and look for red or orange mods in the list. If you find some, then they may well be your culprit. Fixing them will take a few minutes of your time and hopefully not more (google something like "orange red colour mod Wrye Bash" for instructions).

Otherwise, as frustrating as it probably sounds, you'd probably be best off deactivating all of your mods, and then installing them one or two at a time, and running the new game each time. It will be a laborious process, but it should tell you pretty clearly which mods are causing the problem.

It is VERY common to crash during the Tutorial with mods running. As the Tutorial IS a heavily scripted scene that you are part of, all mods can do is get in the way. Disable ALL mods till you are past the tutorial and have exited the cave, once you see "Unbound completed" the game has NOW started, start adding mods one at a time. The only mods you should have active for the Tutorial are race menu mods, hair and the like , any mods you need to actually make your character. Heck for most of the tutorial you don't even have access to your inventory,,,what can you do with your mods..Kill the dragon?...not gonna happen...lol.

Once outside Save, now make a second save, The first save you never overwrite, use the second save to start adding mods, exit add one mod start the game , wait for any MCM menu or the mod to initialize , save and Exit, do this for ever single mod.

I did it for 250+ mods and my game is stable, current save> Level 38 >Save 461 - Darkness Skyrim 125.16.32.ess.... 125 hours Crash free gaming. ( to me a crash after 6 or 8 hours straight gaming don't count, i have a few of those)

Thanks guys, I will try both methods. First of all, I'm reinstalling the game one more time and delete everythings the mod adds. Then I will install only the race mods and the lighting mods, HD textures and SMIM. So just the graphics mod. I will complete the tutorial, arrive to Riverwood, and start installing all the other mods while checking with wrye bash.

I hope this time the game will work..

I did everything, reinstalled the game, installed only a few mods, passed the tutorial, then out of the cave installed all the other mods only three or four at time.

Then the game crashed after 4 minutes when some wolfs were about to attack me... I checked with wrye bash, there aren't any mods highlighted in orange or red. Just a few mods have their checkbox, and only the checkbox, orange colored. This is what wrye bash say: "Orange: Some mods have changed order. Oblivion and TESCS will adjust for this when you load. However, if some of the mods that you depend made conflicting changes to the same item, a different mod may now dominate because of the reordering."

What should I do now?

I don't have any program to scan what is working or not, I just do it the old school way, 1st play the game for a bit with no mods if it works fine then I turn on the 1st mod and try it, then the next and so on (one at a time). you have so many mods this would likely be way annoying for you however it would tell you for a fact just which mod is the one giving you problems.

idk whats wrong with your game but its likely you are missing something simple like, you have an animation mod but you didn't run fnis ( im not saying this is the problem, only that its likely something like this ). or maybe you have two or more mods that are effecting the same thing without you knowing it.

I don't think your pc is the problem because my old pc was dying, it didn't even have min requirements for skyrim yet it still played it just fine though it looked horrible.

so if you read your mods and have everything they need to run it then try to simply jump time a bit giving everything time to reset and force them to there marks as something maybe going on that you dont know about and that might be what crashes you.

I don't really think this is your problem but besides not having something your mods needs or having conflicting mods then what else can there really be? unless your pc is just trying to scan or something and boots you out of your game.

Sorry, the checkbox is what I meant. An orange checkbox means you've got masters in a non-ideal order, which can sometimes cause unpredictable CTDs.

Click on a mod that has an orange checkbox. On the right of the program it will show you a list of all the master files that the mod depends on. Look at the example below:

http://snag.gy/UvBhy.jpg

In this case, the mod in question (BetterQuestObjectives-AFTpatch.esp) wants AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp to come AFTER BetterQuestObjectives.esp, but in my current load order, it comes BEFORE. So, I'd manually rearrange them by dragging and dropping in the left pane, until BetterQuestObjectives-AFTpatch.esp is no longer orange.

Also, when you're in the game testing for stability, I recommend typing this into the console:

player.setav speedmult 2000 [enter]

tcl [enter]

tgm [enter]

This will let you fly around extremely fast, which will exacerbate any problems and make testing quicker. The first command sets the speed (choose whatever speed you want - 100 is normal). The second command lets you fly through the air and objects. The third command makes you invincible so you don't die while testing. Note that this will stress your game, so if you do it for more than a few minutes, you might get the occasional crash even on an otherwise stable load order.

you may also wish to type

set timescale to 1500 [enter]

This will make the time of day and weather changes much faster which may further help bring problems to the surface. Also, it looks kinda cool. 20 is normal speed.

Orange check box(mods in a different order then the master) does not and will not cause any issues at all. I asked this question on the Official Bethesda forums and both the creator of BOSS/LOOT (Wrinlky Ninja) and one of the maintainers of Wrye Bash (Lojack), BOTH agreed, Orange will not crash or cause issues. The mod Author may not have been using Loot /Boss on their load order when the mod was created.

I have had Orange mods since i started this play-thru , now at level 38, 120+ hours in game and i do not crash or have any problems. With 250+ mods loading.

For the extremely anal , you can load just the mod in question in TES5Edit, once it loads , right click and "Sort masters" as this is only a visual thing.

I have only 3 orange checkboxes, when I change the mod order I fix this three and other 4 o 5 orange checkboxes come out.. I will try doing my best tomorrow with the load order, even if the authors said it doesn't cause issues I can always try and see.

I will post here my current load order, maybe someone can get what's wrong:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
RSkyrimChildren.esm
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm
ApachiiHairMales.esm
JSwords.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
Dr_BandolierDG.esp
FA Guard Helmet.esp
Animations.esp
Brows.esp
WetandCold.esp
NB-Scars.esp
ShieldProtectFromMagic.esp
UltimateDragons.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
DSAMG - Greybeard Fix.esp
Beards.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ETaC - Complete.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp
Tamriel Reloaded.esp
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
Footprints.esp
Footprints - Ash.esp
DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp
SplashofRain.esp
ImprovedSneakDetection.esp
Immersive NPC in the dark.esp
iHUD.esp
Smoking Torches.esp
VioLens.esp
No More Glowing Edges.esp
Headtracking.esp
The Bastard.esp
TKDodge.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
AFT_NoFriendlySpellDamage.esp
YOT - Frostfall Module.esp
3DNPC.esp
Prometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.esp
Better Dynamic Snow.esp
ETaC - BDS Patch.esp
Prometheus_NSUTR BDS Patch.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
CommonClothes.esp
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp
Clothing & Clutter_3DNPC_Patch.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
Armor Addons.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
SkyRe_Survivalism.esp
SkyUI.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
MinimalHUD.esp
Customizable Camera.esp
SleepTight.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dragonborn.esp
Taverns.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
SkyFalls Dragonborn Small waterfalls.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
DawnofSolitude.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
ProudspireManorImprovements.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
RSChildren - Complete.esp
RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp
Feminine Females.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
Rise of the Legend - Ysgramor.esp
Immersive Solstheim.esp
Armored Skeleton.esp
DawnofWindhelm.esp
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp
Crimson Tide - Blood.esp
BFT Ships and Carriages.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
Unique Uniques.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
JKs Whiterun.esp
JKs Riften.esp
Inigo.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
Skyrim Better Roads and Bridges - All In One - Merged.esp
The Honored Dead.esp
UltimateCombat.esp
ViewableFactionRanksBothDLC.esp
WarmongerArmory_Vanilla.esp
WarmongerArmory_DLC.esp
WarmongerArmory_LeveledList.esp
BDYEB.esp
Cloaks.esp
1nivWICCloaksNoGuards.esp
impgen.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
SMIM-Merged-All.esp
Populated Lands Roads Paths.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
Populated Cities Towns Villages.esp
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch-NoGuards.esp
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp
TCOSS.esp
Khajiit Merchants Buy Stolen Items.esp
Skyhaven_modified.esp
Farm Animals.esp
ExtraBlades.esp
Farmers Sell Produce - Skyrim.esp
JKs Whiterun exterior.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp
DawnofMarkarth.esp
Populated Prisons.esp
SL01AmuletsSkyrim.esp
StormLord.esp
CollegeDormDoors.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
Populated Skyrim Civil War.esp
SofiaFollower.esp
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Extended Encounters.esp
Hunterborn.esp
Hunterborn_Dawnguard-Patch.esp
Hunterborn_Frostfall-Patch.esp
YOT - Hunterborn.esp
iNeed.esp
Equipping Overhaul.esp
SkyRe_Combat.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
theRoadstrokersRogueSorceress.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
YOT - Your Own Thoughts.esp
zzArmormashups.esp
zzzSXP.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
ReProccer.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp

Btw, I'm running also animations mods (I use FNIS of course) and a lot of HD textures (between 2K and 1K) that don't use an esp. Can it be that, with all this mods, I'm using too many HD textures so the game crash?

EDIT: @volnaiskra, I tested the game by typing the 4 console commands you said and running all over Skyrim while the timescale was set to 15000, the game didn't crash the whole time, just freezing for a second or two occasionally. I did this for 3 minutes I believe, tomorrow I will continue the test for more time. I don't understand, my character can run with superspeed in time and space without problems but if he sleeps 9 hours in the Riverwood Inn the game crash right after he wokes up....

Edited by Eferas

Orange check box(mods in a different order then the master) does not and will not cause any issues at all.

Simply not true. I was experiencing frequent CTD's on startup and in-game, and was tearing my hair out trying to find the problem for weeks. Getting rid of the orange mods got rid of the problem entirely and immediately. The CTD problem was re-creatable whenever the mod loader was rearranged to produce orange boxes again. In my case, it was the various patches of CoT and RSChildren that were the culprit. I repeat: I was getting a CTD on startup 50% of the time or more, many dozens of times over several weeks. Once I cleared my orange boxes, I have now gotten zero CTDs on startup, after many dozens of startups.

So at least for me, empirical evidence points to orange boxes being meaningful. Commonsense also points to it: if a mod relies on various masters that change the same records, then the resulting conflicts, and which maseter is the 'winner', will obviously have an impact on how that mod works or doesn't work. Maybe you and many others have been fortunate and haven't had problems, but to suggest that no one will have problems with mis-ordered masters is simply bad advice.

The only times I wouldn't worry about orange checkboxes is when they relate to official DLC .esms (eg. a mod wants dawnguard.esm and dragonborn.esm to be in a different order).