Thinking of getting Oblivion...

Spysix

Hey forum I'm thinking of getting Oblivion, I've played it a few times on my friends pc and the only thing that irks me was the beards were 'colored' in.

So I decided to give Oblivion another shot, but like fallout3 a game isn't perfect unless it is modded to hell :cool:

Should I go for the official or unofficial patch?

I found some threads on how to tweak it to look visually better but can anyone help point to me the right mods that, in your opinion, "is a must have?"

Thanks in advance, I'm ganna go try find a mod to make the interface a little more legible and less of a mess. :huh:

P.S: Does Oblivion have the same stutter issue like in Fallout3? (usually happens with high end cards for some reason.)

Hello Spysix. I believe that you should get both the official and unofficial Oblivion patches. If I recall, don't the unofficial patches require Oblivion to be patched to it's latest?

EDIT: "This mod is a joint effort to fix the vast amount of bugs currently existing in Oblivion v1.2.0.416". That's the latest patch. You should officially patch from the official site. Then you can download the Unofficial patches.

As for the user interface, try Darnified UI, I use it. There's also BTMod.

Hello Spysix. I believe that you should get both the official and unofficial Oblivion patches. If I recall, don't the unofficial patches require Oblivion to be patched to it's latest?

EDIT: "This mod is a joint effort to fix the vast amount of bugs currently existing in Oblivion v1.2.0.416". That's the latest patch. You should officially patch from the official site. Then you can download the Unofficial patches.

As for the user interface, try Darnified UI, I use it. There's also BTMod.

Thanks! I got the BTMod.

Sorry to somewhat hijack the thread, but I've been looking for a new texture mod for a while now. I want a single mod that replaces weapons, buildings, LOD, everything. I don't really want to hunt for seperate mods, risking them not working together. Anybody perhaps know of such a mod. I believe the OP would also benefit from this info. :P

The latest official patch is pretty much required as many mods need it to work. The unofficial patch is not a true patch as it does not make any changes to the actual game program like the official patch. It is really a mod that can be taken out if needed. If you get the GOTY version of Oblivion, the patch is on the second (Shivering Isles) disk. If not, go here for the patch: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm Be sure to get the right one as installing the wrong patch means you will have to reinstall the entire game to fix it.

Before adding any mods, start the game, accept any defaults - you don't have to create the character you want yet. This is a good time to set your video settings, audio and such. Then make a save and exit - this saves all of your settings - it dosn't save the info about your computer such as video resolution, sound settins etc until you make that first save. Now exit and put in a few mods, start the game and instead of going back to the game you saved, start a new game. Now do the full character generation. If you use a custom (from a mod) character, be sure you have installed the unofficial patch - or you won't be able to get out of the cell as that is one of those 'minor' bugs it fixes. Be sure to make a unique save after making the character you want. Autosaves are overwritten by th next autosave. Unique (New) saves will stay for as long as you want.

Now do the tutorial dungeon, make a few new saves as you go - these are points you can return to if you screw up. The most important is the one just before you exit the sewer - where you get the chance to make changes to your character before proceeding if you have that you will not have to repeat the tutorial with a new character.

The latest official patch is pretty much required as many mods need it to work. The unofficial patch is not a true patch as it does not make any changes to the actual game program like the official patch. It is really a mod that can be taken out if needed. If you get the GOTY version of Oblivion, the patch is on the second (Shivering Isles) disk. If not, go here for the patch: http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/updates_patches.htm Be sure to get the right one as installing the wrong patch means you will have to reinstall the entire game to fix it.

Before adding any mods, start the game, accept any defaults - you don't have to create the character you want yet. This is a good time to set your video settings, audio and such. Then make a save and exit - this saves all of your settings - it dosn't save the info about your computer such as video resolution, sound settins etc until you make that first save. Now exit and put in a few mods, start the game and instead of going back to the game you saved, start a new game. Now do the full character generation. If you use a custom (from a mod) character, be sure you have installed the unofficial patch - or you won't be able to get out of the cell as that is one of those 'minor' bugs it fixes. Be sure to make a unique save after making the character you want. Autosaves are overwritten by th next autosave. Unique (New) saves will stay for as long as you want.

Now do the tutorial dungeon, make a few new saves as you go - these are points you can return to if you screw up. The most important is the one just before you exit the sewer - where you get the chance to make changes to your character before proceeding if you have that you will not have to repeat the tutorial with a new character.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess it is a lot like Fallout3