Limited User for Oblivion mod manager

huxleykrcc

Hey all,

First time trying to install and create a mod.

I'm an Windows 7 user and am having the same issues:

1st) Install told me Limited User, resolved this by Right clicking on the obmm.exe and selected the option "Run as administrator" from the popup menu.

2nd) Executed the program as Administrator and then it said that "Vista appears to have moved some of oblivion files to the virtual store. Do you wish to move them back? If you don't know what the virtual store is, please read entry 16 in the FAQ."

As the previous poster said, I'm running windows 7 not Vista. So I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the OMM to C:\Games\Oblivion but it won't allow it and tells me it has to be in the same directory as Oblivion. When you said "By uninstalling and reinstalling to C:\Games\Oblivion, you will avoid all of the hassles that come with trying to work around the Win7 (and Vista) UAC protection that is automatically applied to every program installed in the 'program files' folders - where almost all programs seem to think they should be installed.

Did you mean to uninstall and reinstall the game into C:\Games and then reinstalling the mod manager? I think you do, but I want to make sure.

Also if I do this how do I save my saved games that I've created and where do I reinstall them after reinstalling the game?

Thanks so much.

You likely didn't do a registry cleaning after uninstalling Oblivion when you did your re-install. Here's a link to Bben46's Oblivion reinstall procedure. Don't miss the link near the top about moving your Steam folder if you are using the Steam version of the game, and don't skip the registry cleaning step. Your saves will be untouched, and they are just fine remaining where the game stores them (in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves for Win 7).

You likely didn't do a registry cleaning after uninstalling Oblivion when you did your re-install. Here's a link to Bben46's Oblivion reinstall procedure. Don't miss the link near the top about moving your Steam folder if you are using the Steam version of the game, and don't skip the registry cleaning step. Your saves will be untouched, and they are just fine remaining where the game stores them (in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves for Win 7).

Didn't remove and reinstall Oblivion, just the Mod manager.

Just re-read and implemented all this and seems to be working now.

Thanks all.

• 6 months later...

Hi uh, I got the OBMM to work when I ran it with administrater but I can't get the nif view to work. You see I've already unzipped the mod, so now I have the textures and mesh nifs but

I want to convert them to esp. and bsa. or omod files so my custom skin textures will activate. But I can't get my nif viewer to work, and I try to add an archive but it won't find

nif files or whatever. New to this so I'm not really understanding what's going on....:(

I was having the same problem as @jason04srt4. the message saying "Vista appears to have moved some of oblivion files to the virtual store. Do you wish to move them back? If you don't know what the virtual store is, please read entry 16 in the FAQ." popped up and i clicked yes. I'm running windows 7 this then opened my command prompt and did some stuff and now my computer's video and graphics have been ruined. they are horrible graphics and i don't know what to do to fix them. I'm going crazy and if someone could help, that'd be great.

@ deathbythunder (and many others in this post):

Please don't hijack other people's posts. Make your own. This will ensure you are not rude. It will also allow people who can help you to identify if they can.

Now. Why don't people read posts here before trying to make their own? Why are people trying to run without walking first? Oblivion Mod Manager is a great tool for first time modders. This is a good place to start. You should read the sticky posts in Oblivion Mod Talk. They will get you started in the right direction. Now deathbythunder, you want to do a bunch of stuff that I think you barely have an idea about. First, you need NifSkope in order to view Nif files. People use bsa commander to pack/unpack bsa files. You don't need to alter either to make an esp file. NifSkope and bsa commander are programs for experienced users. Stick to using a couple of mods at a time and see how that goes.

Remember to only install one mod at a time. This way you know which mod is messing up your game. Most mods will be compatible, even if they say they aren't. Try out some of the bigger projects, like Open Cities, Unique Landscapes and other great mods. Start slow and work your way up. No need to rush. But always read the stickies and search the forums before posting questions please people.

-edit-

@ CB fire:

Please read all the posts above, re-install like it said and then see if the changes work. I hope that it is only the graphics on Oblivion, not all graphics (like youtube). More than likely you need to re-install like suggested. Oblivion was designed before windows 7 was released.

Edited by theuseless

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...