Time Dedication to Learning Modding?

Jarfer

Hi I LOVE FO3 and I would LOVE to learn to mod but I don't know how long it will take me to learn how to mod.

When I say mod I mean I will focus on the following:

- creating weapon / armor / clothing models

- creating textures and meshes for these models

- placing them ingame for player and NPC usage

But I'm kind of pressed for time right now and in a few months I will be even MORE busy so I'm not sure if I should even start.

Help.

Hi I LOVE FO3 and I would LOVE to learn to mod but... I'm kind of pressed for time right now and in a few months I will be even MORE busy so I'm not sure if I should even start.

If you can accept that you might learn some interesting things to do in the time that you have available without stressing about producing something great for upload then go for it. If learning about modding is going to create more stress and a feeling of failure if you run out of time before making a mod then forget about it. Lesson one is that it should be fun, since that is the only real payoff that you will get. Learning to mod takes time, effort and talent. Learning to mod well takes even more. Creating a mod for upload takes determination and it takes dedication to support your mod and correct the glitches that people will tell you about after you upload it.

Everybody takes different lengths of time, but some people have a natural aptitude to pick it up, and some have a passion.

I'm still learning now, 2 years in, but I've focused the past 2 years of self-teaching through my own Mod project and I'm very happy with the results.

As the ever helpful pkleiss states above, start with the Bethsoft GECK tutorials, I would always work around with those before modelling and animating, as it gives you a feel of the GECK environment.

And never be afraid to ask lots of questions, in my 2 years of modding FO3, I've bombarbed both here and the bethsoft GECK forums (in moderation of course) with oodles of questions and have never once been flamed or beaten down, no matter how simple the question.

Dare I say we have the friendliest modding community on the planet? All the best, any questions, throw up a post.