More serious Quotes

grannywils

I was reading Thor's topic on Funny Quotes, and I remembered this great quote I came upon today. I'd seen it before but not in awhile; and since I seem to have been in some more fractious areas of the Forum the last couple of days, I thought I'd try out something more peaceful. Anyway, do you have any interesting quotes to add? There are lots of them. Please acknowledge the author if you can. Here's mine for now:

"Every morning I am awaken torn between the desire to save the world and the inclination to savor it" - EB White

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The water flows, but back into the ocean; The moon sinks, but is even in Heaven.

The reverse side also has a reverse side

God has no religion -Gandhi

Pray to God, but keep rowing to the shore.

Krimzin: Very cool. I thought of another one. It's from Mark Twain, one of my favorite authors.

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear."

I've always liked that thought.

Mark Twain is also one of my favorites. Here's a selection of my favorite quotes by various authors:

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

~ Mark Twain

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

~ Gildor, The Fellowship of the Ring, JRR Tolkien

A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packed web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

~ Dresden James

The growing wealth acquired by corporations never fails to be a source of abuses.

~President James Madison

It would be extremely naive to expect the dominant classes to develop a type of education that would enable subordinate classes to perceive social injustices critically.

~Paulo Freire

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

~Bertrand Russell

She had lost her sails, her cape, her horse, her seven-league boots, and all of them at once. She was stranded in the semi-darkness of a winter

evening.

~AnaÏs Nin

'some men are so damnable proud and envious withal, that they would have nobody know any thing but themselves; the one I hope will shortly learn better manners, and the other be a burden too heavy for the Earth long to bear'

~Nicholas Culpeper, "The English Physitian" 1652

Edited by myrmaad

I guess this is an "all-zen" post:

There's no meaning to a flower unless it blooms. -Zen Proverb

Do not seek the truth, only cease to cherish your opinions. -Zen Proverb

To a mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. -Chuang-tzu

If you cannot find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it? -Dogen

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass. -Dogen

We shape clay into a pot, but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want. -Lao Tzu

Water which is too pure has no fish. -Ts'ai Ken T'an

Mark Twain is also one of my favorites. Here's a selection of my favorite quotes by various authors:

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

~ Mark Twain

"Elves seldom give unguarded advice, for advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill."

~ Gildor, The Fellowship of the Ring, JRR Tolkien

A truth’s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed. It wasn’t the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn’t flat. When a well-packed web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.

~ Dresden James

The growing wealth acquired by corporations never fails to be a source of abuses.

~President James Madison

It would be extremely naive to expect the dominant classes to develop a type of education that would enable subordinate classes to perceive social injustices critically.

~Paulo Freire

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

~Bertrand Russell - *:laugh: These are all great, but I absolutely love this one! Thanks, Lynne

She had lost her sails, her cape, her horse, her seven-league boots, and all of them at once. She was stranded in the semi-darkness of a winter

evening.

~AnaÏs Nin

'some men are so damnable proud and envious withal, that they would have nobody know any thing but themselves; the one I hope will shortly learn better manners, and the other be a burden too heavy for the Earth long to bear'

~Nicholas Culpeper, "The English Physitian" 1652

Krimzin; I did not intend for this to necessarily be a Zen thread exclusively. But I do know some wonderful Zen quotes.

"Just keep clear mind, go straight ahead, and try, try, try for ten thousand years."

"A great man is he who does not lose his childlike heart"

A favorite quote of mine comes from Fritz Perls. I need to remind myself of this on a fairly regular basis:

"Lose your mind and come to your senses"