Toolset Not Working

Like description states, have spent a large number of hours installing and uninstalling game and toolset (have even bought the digital version to try to get everything to work nicely together, still having the same problems) I cann't get the toolset to work anymore. I put on Leliana's song and upgraded to 1.03 patch to play it, as a result lost the character creator and toolset so played for a few days and then reinstalled using the digital version of the game (the disk game was already playing up so downloaded the digital version). Got everything working (as well as possible anyway) and installed the toolset. It says it cann't find the database and closes. Doesn't matter what I do. I'm now totally frustrated with this as something has definately screwed the game up (both dvd and digital).

Can anyone help me please as I would love to be able to just play and tinker as I like.

I know there's a new patch due out but there seems to be some confusion as to when this will be released.

Thank you for your help

Naomi

I did answer in the General thread, however got a bit more info here.

Make sure you have UAC off before doing this too as it causes issues with Visual C++. The reason for installing 2008 Visual C++ Express (the free version ;) ) is that it has native 64bit support as well as other features making it slightly faster too. Also native to Vista and Win 7 environments whereas 2005 is not native to any of those. Really they should've packed 2008 with the toolset, however it has a MAJOR install issue with XP SP2 or older. DO NOT INSTALL IT ON XP SP2 OR OLDER AS IT WILL SCREW YOUR XP UP.

First backup your "Documents\Bioware\Dragon Age" folder (plus your override in your install directory).

1) Uninstall everything to do with DAO, then uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 as well.

2) Re-install DAO

3) Install all official DLC you have

4) Install latest patch (1.03 if you prefer not to use 1.04).

5) Run the game at least once (just to menu and exit).

6) Install Toolset.

7) Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (only needed if you are on Vista/Win7 especially 64bit versions)

8) Install all dazip mods

9) Recover all your characters and override files from your backups.

Enjoy :)

Thing is I am guessing you are on a 64bit OS. Better be Win 7 as Vista has lots of incompatibility issues with the Toolset even after patching to 1.01 and the game to 1.03/1.04.

Thank you have copied your instructions to notepad as my broadband's playing up (ever since the storms on Sunday, drops me like a brick every chance it gets, engineer coming on monday).

I've got Windows 7 so will give it a go. Tried all the stuff I downloaded from the Wiki ie the sql command lines etc to no avail, so hopefully this will work.

Once again thank you. I'll let you know how I get on when BT lets me :smile:

Naomi

No problem I had a similar issue with Win 7 and not allowing the toolset to work until I installed Visual C++ 2008 Express. Good luck :)

Oh, What's UAC? Take it I also need the MSQL also?

Thanks for your help however its still not working I've attached two docs showing pictures of what I've got and show below the error log for the toolset. Can you let me know what you think. Thank you

Fri Jul 23 20:59:07 2010, INFO, ".\PluginAPI.cpp", 106, "Initializing toolset."

Fri Jul 23 20:59:10 2010, ERROR, ".\ConnectionData.cpp", 214, "CConnectionData::ConnectIO caught an exception: Bad HRESULT: 80004005"

Naomi

Ok, this might sound a little drastic, but the only way I can see this being solved is to get a clean slate. First we need to remove all traces of SQL server (05 and 08) as well as Dragon Age and the Toolset (make sure everything you need character wise is backed up as well as mods ;) ).

To do this we will also need to use a program called CCleaner (ignore the paypal stuff and use the filehippo link. Its a free program) to get rid of remnants in the system.

2. So start by uninstalling the Toolset and addons for Dragon Age. Then Finish that by uninstalling DA Origins.
  3. Then uninstall all SQL Server components for 05 and 08.
  4. Restart your machine.
  5. Run CCleaner and analyse your computer. Remove any references to SQL and Dragon Age (missing shared DLL's etc...) as well as a registry scan for anything relating to those programs (also in CCleaner).
  6. Restart your machine again.
  7. Check drivers for all your hardware are up to date (especially gfx card and motherboard).
  8. Disable Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/Firewall programs. Make sure these are fully off as they can interfere with installing things like SQL Server.
  9. Restart again if needed. This is only if your AV or Firewall need a restart to disable things like real-time scanning etc...
  10. Re-install DAO.
  11. Install all official DLC you have.
  12. Install latest patch (1.03 if you prefer not to use 1.04).
  13. Run the game at least once (just to menu and exit).
  14. Install Toolset.
  15. Install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express.
  16. Run Toolset to test it works.
  17. Install all dazip mods.
  18. Recover all your characters and override files from your backups.

Sorry it's a long list, but the next step is a re-install of your OS on a spare HD (if you have one) to see if there are other conflicting issues.

Hi Kaerar,

Had problems with internet and have downloaded everything I need to follow your instructions to the letter.

One question. When Installing the DA:O, DA:A, toolset and character generator do I allow it to install the included sql and visual c++. I know with the toolset I can untick the 2005 sql load, haven't seen anything on the others as to how I can stop those. Or for safety's sake should I just let them run in their entirety?

After spending the last 48 hours reading, fiddling and installing and uninstalling, I feel I should be able to do this with eyes shut and at least one arm behind back (if I didn't need two to operate a keyboard :teehee: ).

I'm about to start following your instructions so will let you know how I get on. I know everything's ok with patch 1.02, the thought of 1.03 or 1.04 makes be break out into a cold sweat. Can't believe the trouble I've had. (Mind you it's taken me three months to get a registration key from the makers of the Witcher so maybe servers see my name and think "hey, its her again, what can we do to frustrate her this week?" :laugh: )

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how I get on. You've helped me a great deal and made me smile in the process so thank you.

Naomi :happy:

First off you don't need the character generator. It's literally just the Chargen creator from the game and with certain mods creates an incompatible file (armour wise).

For Visual C++ 2005 that comes with the toolset, yes let it install. Safest way really as it prevents issues when setting up the database. Even better is to install the 2008 version after toolset install as that allows it to update and carry over the database without any manual fiddling.

1.03 patch is fine to use. The extra stuff in the Script.IDF is worth it especially for mods like Advanced Tactics. There is a slight bug with 1.04 though where this file (hidden in Patch003.erf) is incorrect and is actually the older version from 1.02. I uploaded the 1.03 file in this post along with install directions. This allows you to use the 1.04 patch with Advanced Tactics and other mods which use the extended script functions.

Glad I made ya smile and good luck with getting it working :)