Power Armor Turrets

Skevitj

I haven't played the Fallout versions before 3, so when I saw the Adv Power armor the first thing I thought of after seeing those beast shoulders is how awesome it would look if there was a small laser/mg turret sitting on one/both of them.

As for controlling them, as far as I'm able to interpret the way the game engine works, making them completely autonomous would be an absolute nightmare, if not impossible. However, having the player equip a trivial item as a weapon, with the attack animations for the item involving the turrets firing doesn't sound too hard (I know nothing about animation or modeling, so i've got no idea how the game deals with weapon animations). Basically just a weapon which fires off the shoulder in the same manner that the rest of the weapons fire.

Probably the best outcome which could be hoped for is the turrets being able to rotate, so they could fire at designated targets which didn't necessarily have to be along the player's cross hair, but as I said previously, my lack of knowledge in the area means i've got no way of judging what is/not possible or the relative levels of difficulty.

Any input is welcome as long as it is constructive.

believe me...i worked on that armor model.....panic!!!.

it could be done anyway using the armor addon list

and creating a new object... i'm not enough skilled with nifskope for this but it can be done

• 2 weeks later...

heh... turrets on the shoulders... remindes me of the predators ;)

well, i'm neither experienced in modeling nor in scripting (and my english isn't the best...)

BUT

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6005

in this mod, you can turn the turrets by rightclicking and firing with the left mousebutton. i don't know if it would work on the shoulder-turrets, but something like this MUST be possible, even if it is a nightmare to script :P

greetings

Thanks for the replies.

Implementing the turret as an armor add on looks like the way to go, solves all the possible problems I'm trying to think of and doesn't create any new ones. Considering that's what they were made for, not really surprising.

I haven't been able to completely isolate the sections in the motorbike scripts which deal with rotating the turrets relative to the bike (The only section I'm struggling to understand from a scripting point of view, mostly cause it relies on my non-existent animation knowledge), but from what I've seen the scripting which achieves it works almost identically to my draft version. So that bit looks like it'll turn out fine.

As it stands, the only major hurdle is my complete failure at gaining any sort of competency when it comes to making/editing models. If someone could help me out by creating a nif for a turret, mounted on the shoulder (With appropriate attachment points/weapon requirement, I don't know what is required), IOU1. Specifics are upto the creator, ie, laser/minigun/custom, position/orientation.

The final goal is to have it operating autonomously, could cause a performance hit but shouldn't be too severe, if at all. At any rate, having them fire along the player's sight (camera if in vanity mode) would be an easy to implement backup plan.

check teh dog meat armors one looks midevil and someone posted a photo with dogmeat wearing the armor and carrying 2 mounted miniguns on his sides like a harness maybe that person can help you figure out how to do it i havent been able to get a responce from them personally http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4331 picture is at bottom