The Currently Reading Thread .........

karkarinus

Erich Raeder: Admiral of the Third Reich.

Since I'm back to work I ordered some more books, but I'm so far behind now! I still have half-a-dozen or more Terry Pratchett books to read, as well as an extensive collection of military history books. I mostly have WW2 stuff, but also some WW1 and some others like Alfred Thayer Mahan's book on the influence of sea power on history.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the book on Erich Raeder. It was interesting as he really is not as well known here in the US as Karl Donitz (who's autobiography I've read), and I was quite curious about the man in charge of the Kriegsmarine before Donitz took over in 1943. In many ways he was the inheritor of the legacy of Tirpitz and in others quite different.

Moving on to: The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished the Guns of August. I see why Barbara Tuchman won the Pulitzer for this book, it's excellent and also extremely informative about that fist month of the war.

Now to start my next one, Mussolini and his generals:The armed forces and fascist foreign policy, 1922-1940 by John Gooch.

Just reread the Harry Potter series up to Deathly Hallows. Took about a week to read all other 6 books. Now that I've hit the last one I've lost all steam to keep up the fast pace with it. I'll try to finish it by the middle of the week. Then I'm onto rereading the Drizzt D'Urden series.

• 2 weeks later...
Bless him, my honey got me the latest Robert Jordan / Wheel of Time book, Towers of Midnight, for my birthday. I didn't even know it was out. Don't want to leave spoilers, but it's brilliant. Rand is developing how I always hoped he would. Though I can't help wishing that RJ hadn't died on us, I'm always gonna wonder what these last three books would have been like, coming from his head directly, as opposed to via his notes.