Crimson Nirnroot quest (NN01) broken

dbbolton

I need help figuring out which mod broke the quest A Return to Your Roots. When I go into Sinderion's lab, his journal is missing from his corpse. I tried giving it to myself but reading it does nothing. Also, the quest doesn't start when I harvest the nirnroot.

I manually set the stage to 15, which starts the quest and tasks me with finding out the significance of the root (i.e. read his journal), but again reading the book does nothing.

When I disable all my mods these problems go away, but I have a whole lot of them. I tried disabling some that I thought might be related (Even Better Quest Objs, Crimson Nirnoot Markers, etc.) to no avail.

Basically, I need to know if there is any way to determine which mods are messing with Sinderion's inventory, the journal/plant scripts, or the quest itself, other than opening each mod by hand.

1. Obtain the ID# of the quest

2. Load ALL active mods in TES5Edit

3. Use the Form ID filter and locate the quest

4. See what mod(s) affect the quest.

You can do similar for other things that have a form ID#. However, changes to scripts will require you to investigate each mod individually. If you use Nexus Mod Manager, Mod Explorer for NMM might help track down what mods provide a copy of the script(s) involved.

• 7 years later...

Having just run into the same problem 8 years later, on AE, I think this is just one of those Skyrim things.

I'd already checked all my mods in xEdit trying to answer exactly the question the OP posed. (Note that Ishara's post - though good advice in general - may be wrong for this particular case, since the journal may be a placed object, in which case you'd need to look for edits to that CELL rather than the QUST).

The journal going missing SHOULDN'T actually break the quest, because it's also supposed to start whenever you pick a crimson nirnroot. In my case, the journal is missing, and harvesting doesn't start the quest, so yeah: it's the QUST that's broken.

* Nothing has edited the quest.

* sqs shows the quest HAS actually started, and is at stage 10.

setstage advances through it correctly, but it isn't actually playable. Going back to a save from before ever entering Blackreach is no different. My guess is the quest simply choked halfway through its startup script for some reason, and now it's toast. (If it's Start Game Enabled then that would explain why even an old save can't start it).

Edited by tesnexus8