Oblivion crashes when entering buildings/cities

elenazab

Hello y'all :smile:

I've recently installed Oblivion again after a few years but this time, instead of just playing the vanilla game I installed a bunch of mods that interested me (first time using mods so I could have just FUBARed it). Everything was working fine until today, when it would crash. I was playing earlier today and took a few hours break, and when I came back to it, I found that whenever I fast travelled to a city or entered a building (or cave, fort, anything that has its own cell), the game would load the area for about 3 seconds before crashing. From where I last left off, I was right outside The Strange Door leading to the Shivering Isles on Niben Bay.

I'm running windows 7 (64 bit) and I have the following mods activated:

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm
01  Cobl Main.esm  [Version 1.72]
02  Hemingweys Capes Improved.esm  [Version 3.0b]
03  TantrivayliaChimer.esm
04  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.5.1]
05  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.5.5]
06  USIPS Additional Changes.esp
07  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
08  Cobl Glue.esp  [Version 1.72]
09  Cobl Si.esp  [Version 1.63]
0A  Cobl Tweaks.esp  [Version 1.44]
0B  Cobl Races TNR.esp  [Version 1.53]
0C  Cobl Races TNR SI.esp  [Version 1.53]
0D  Cobl Races.esp  [Version 1.52]
0E  Salmo the Baker, Cobl.esp  [Version 3.08]
0F  Kvatch Rebuilt.esp  [Version 3.0]
10  Oblivion_Character_Overhaul.esp  [Version 2.0]
11  MaleBodyReplacerV5.esp
12  RTFemaleReplacerV12.esp
13  DLCHorseArmor.esp
14  DLCOrrery.esp
15  DLCFrostcrag.esp
16  DLCThievesDen.esp
17  DLCVileLair.esp
18  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
19  DLCSpellTomes.esp
1A  Knights.esp
1B  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
1C  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
1D  Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp
1E  UOPS Additional Changes.esp
1F  StealthOverhaul.esp
20  Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp
21  Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp
22  Natural_Water_by_Max_Tael.esp
23  Natural_Weather_by_Max_Tael.esp
24  Natural_Weather_HDR_by_Max_Tael.esp
25  MSHaddon-SI.esp
----> Delinquent MASTER: Mage'sSkyHouse.esp
26  Slof's Horses Base.esp
27  UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp  [Version 1.0.0]
28  Hemingweys Capes Improved.esp  [Version 3.0b]
29  Classic Books.esp
2A  Crossbows of Cyrodiil.esp
2B  Highwood.esp
2C  BattlehornCastleEnhanced.esp
2D  Dwemer_Skyship_1_1_0_noQuest.esp
2E  Mage'sSkyHouse.esp
2F  Shadowcrest_Vineyard.esp
30  Dwemer_Skyship_1_1_0.esp
31  Leyawiin Bridge.esp
32  Command Mount.esp
33  PlayerHomeNaheema.esp
34  NewSheothManor.esp
35  SN_Sunset_Cottage.esp
36  Castle_Almgard-V2.esp
37  Septim Mansion.esp
38  Tantrivaylia.esp
39  Cheydinhal Petshop.esp
3A  Populated Prisons.esp  [Version 1.2]
3B  ClocksOfCyrodiil.esp
3C  Slof's Victorian Clothes.esp

--- For the Mages Sky House ( I noticed it says "Delinquent Master" I tried playing the game with it deactivated but it still crashes.
I have the game installed to my E:/ drive (which is where I keep everything like documents, pictures, all my other installed games and other personal junk) while the C:/ drive has all the programs like Itunes or Chrome etc. I've disabled auto-save on travel, wait and sleep as recommended by someone else but this didn't help either.
It's highly probable (and probably the only reason) it has something to do with clashing mods, but everything was working fine before. I'm also wondering if it's something to do with the load order, as other people have had problems with that.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :smile:

You need to start by sorting your load order with BOSS and then rebuild your bashed patch. If your BOSS report shows unrecognized mods then you'll need to place those manually (you can use drag and drop in the Wrye Bash load order window or by setting up User Rules in BOSS).

You mention that your last location was outside the Strange Door ... you haven't fast traveled to a destination in Tamriel once you've entered the Strange Door have you?

Thanks for such a quick reply !

Okay, I'll do that and get back to you.

And also, I haven't travelled out of the Strange Door ever since I entered it. I fast travelled back to the portal to Cyrodiil opposite Haskill's desk when you first enter, and exited the Shivering Isles through there. There is no other way of getting out without using a console command or one of the spells that are included in one of the mods called "take me home!" or something along those lines (which I'm sure I didn't use). I thought it would be nice to get back to Tamriel after spending so long in the Shivering Isles, but then... crash ....

Hi again

I installed BOSS, but when starting it up it asks which game to run it for, but Oblivion is not detected.

I think I'll try reinstalling and see what happens. Maybe that might fix the problem :P

Also, don't know if this is related, but when starting my laptop this morning I found that everything was switched to Windows 7 basic. I have an Alienware m14x which comes with it's own theme (it's own startup theme, toolbar, windows explorer etc) and that was the first thing I noticed. I'm wondering if something I installed, whether it be mod or program like Wrye Bash/NMM, is having compatibility issues. Then again, this might not have anything to do with it - just some additional info.

Use Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure as a guide for your re-install. If you use the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location, and also don't miss the part about registry cleaning.

I'd make sure to do a thorough virus scan as well, just to cross that off the list of possibles (especially in light of your desktop theme situation).