Retexturing help

Lehcar

So I'm trying to retexture certain mage robes to make them look more practical, and like they would plausibly keep someone warm in Ferelden's cold climate. But so far I am experiencing failure.

Can anyone please tell me how to make it so the places where texture was added will re-color along with the rest of the outfit so I don't get an ugly patch that is still the default color? And how do I get rid of that 3D imprint of the buckles that are no longer there so it looks like a nice pair of pants??

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/6646/textfail.jpg

You have to edit the normal map (texturename_n.dds) in photoshop or GIMP and change the alpha layer as well as the RGB layers.

For the recolouring you need to edit the tint map (texturename_t.dds) unless you did a manual recolour using the diffuse map (texturename_d.dds), where you'll just have to make sure you got all the right parts re-coloured right. Does look a bit odd in the pic above which leads me to think tint map.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out how to edit the tintmap to get it work right and now it's good as gold! ;D

But I still have the problem with the normal map... I did edit the map and erase/smugde out the imprint of the buckles but it's still showing them...

Did you check the alpha channel?

Also check the diffuse for an alpha...

The other thing is it could be the model.

Definitely not the model since the same mesh is used for encb which has completely different geometry there. So yeah guessing the OP missed the alpha channel of the normal map.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it looks like the encb mesh DOES have some lumps there, they just try make it hard to see with their textures the same way the OP is trying to do. Worthy of a lol... anyhow, to the OP, you might try looking at the encb normal map to compare...

EDIT2: Also, don't forget the specular map. The buckles are probably made to be shiny there which will also highlight them further on your texture.