Old times

antonkr

-I miss high school, I had some good times there.

-I miss my friends from high school, but luckily social networking exists or I would miss them even more.

-I miss my brother and sister (really half-brother and half-sister but I consider them full siblings) who are both 9-10 years older than me, although I did see them lately which was nice.

-I miss the time when video game companies weren't greedy and actually made quality games, companies like that still exist (Bethesda, Bioware, GSG Game World, etc...) but there are also many that are the greedy type (EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Activision-Blizzard to a certain extent).

-I miss good video game companies that died out or were bought out (Blizzard, Origin Games (they made the Ultima games), Irrational Games and TTLG Studios (System Shock 1/2), etc...)

-I miss the days when Metallica actually made decent music, even though that was back when I was about 1-2 years old and before.

-I miss the days when Star Wars wasn't catered to 8 year old kids (as I think it was with episodes 2 and 3, as well as 1 to some extent) and actually had a decent plotline, although you got to admit the lightsaber duel with Darth Maul was pretty damn awesome.

I'll probably add more things I miss to this list, too many things I'm thinking of typing here at the moment.

I miss the days when, if someone said they would do something they did it.

I miss they days when if you had an issue with someone you told them to their face and if they didn't like what you had to say you went out back and settled it like men (nowadays everybody runs to supervisors to whine ad cry like a schoolyard crybaby).

I miss the days where stupidity and rudeness were unacceptable bahaviour.

I miss the days when the Education System in America was one.

I miss the days when, if they called you a celebrity it actually meant you were IN something on TV or a Movie or were a singer.

I miss the days when a girl would NOT do something that everyone wanted her to do because she had something called "dignity".

I remember when people were inherenty honest, good, and decent.

and, lastly

I remember a time when you could go to a supermarket and children actually BEHAVED THEMSELVES rather than running around and carrying on like wild animals.

I miss honour. I miss the days when I didnt stand out for playing fair. Reality or cyberspace. I've always played completely fair and with full respect for my rivals. I miss the days when they did the same. But now, about 50% of players I meet outside of mmorpgs are engaged in some activity of cheating or hacking or otherwise getting an advantage by dishounrable misuse of code. Tha number almost doubles in Steam games.

I miss respect. When you could speak openly in a gaming match about tactics or the game. And when even when defeating them, your rival was still a brother in arms in that game. Rather than bitter rivals. Now Im amazed if I get through a game without being bombarded by language foul enough to boil stone.

I miss duty. Long ago, people worked hard at all levels of society. Now the poor are worked to death like cattle while the overseer class bloat and swell like termite queens. Now people feed themselves rather than looking after others. You have a duty to yourself, your family and your country. But that duty goes now forgoten. An old and archaic idea too utopian for the cowards of today to try and bring back to life.

I miss loyalty. Another ancient notion my parents instilled in me. I mourn the days when loyalty was expected, rather than the virtue. It was somewhat wrenching for me when my former girlfriend told me how she was amazed by my loyalty to her-she should have been able to simply expect total devotion from me. I would have done anything for her because as her boyfriend I had a duty to her.

I miss silence. When you could deactivate nearby machinery and simply hear life going on around you. Now the urban soundscape is one of children screaming in rage, fear, and anquish. Dogs barking rabidly, and the sounds of massive machinery and a society entirely fallen to decay and debauchery.

I miss sanctity. Barely a week ago I saw a swarm of teenagers defiling and vandalising tombs and graves. I am an aetheist of no religious or supersticious bent. But even for me the resting places of the dead are sacred ground, you tread lightly and with respect or you leave. So seeing young punks destroying graves and defiling monuments to protest a war they do not comprehend sickened and disgusted me.

I miss love. Long dead are the days when loving someone actualy meant anything. Nowadays love is all but dead. replaced by an entirely disgusting, debauched affair. Lovers act more like prostitutes. Only staying together as long as the sex remains undiluted by such ancient corruptions of attachment, empathy, and worst of all, duty, I simply can not empathise with this generation of people who go from partner to partner simply demanding sex. It goes against my very nature.

But above all I miss pride . Oldest and most dead virtue of all. Pride in one's self. Pride in one's family and pride in one's country. My family left their home nation because they could not stomach what brittain had become. And that says a lot from a clan so proud of it's celtic roots. I miss the days when we did deeds we could be remembered for. Not crimes we want to forget. Im still proud of what I am and who I am, but even I've got more than one black stain on that honour.

I miss actual comedy shows on TV and real movies, most now treat us like idiot.

I miss modestly, now females dress up like hoes and give the rest of women a bad name

I miss innocence of youth, now most kids care about is alcohol, drugs and sex

I miss actual songs, when the melodies came from the heart and mean something not like the crap that is on radio

I miss discipline, when parents actually gave discipline to their kids

I miss toys in cereal boxes, now it's a one in three chance of getting a sticker

I miss the old Simpsons and Spongbob, now they dumb it down for the kids

I miss competition, when the markets had some

I miss the old price of ice-cream, do you believe that it is almost $10aus for 5L?

And lastly from Vinderkarr

I miss political visionaries. The current crop of Australian politicians are evil money-grubbing little people who don't care about the greater good.

I miss the Australian Democrats

I miss honour. I miss the days when I didnt stand out for playing fair. Reality or cyberspace. I've always played completely fair and with full respect for my rivals. I miss the days when they did the same. But now, about 50% of players I meet outside of mmorpgs are engaged in some activity of cheating or hacking or otherwise getting an advantage by dishounrable misuse of code. Tha number almost doubles in Steam games.

I miss respect. When you could speak openly in a gaming match about tactics or the game. And when even when defeating them, your rival was still a brother in arms in that game. Rather than bitter rivals. Now Im amazed if I get through a game without being bombarded by language foul enough to boil stone.

I miss duty. Long ago, people worked hard at all levels of society. Now the poor are worked to death like cattle while the overseer class bloat and swell like termite queens. Now people feed themselves rather than looking after others. You have a duty to yourself, your family and your country. But that duty goes now forgoten. An old and archaic idea too utopian for the cowards of today to try and bring back to life.

I miss loyalty. Another ancient notion my parents instilled in me. I mourn the days when loyalty was expected, rather than the virtue. It was somewhat wrenching for me when my former girlfriend told me how she was amazed by my loyalty to her-she should have been able to simply expect total devotion from me. I would have done anything for her because as her boyfriend I had a duty to her.

I miss silence. When you could deactivate nearby machinery and simply hear life going on around you. Now the urban soundscape is one of children screaming in rage, fear, and anquish. Dogs barking rabidly, and the sounds of massive machinery and a society entirely fallen to decay and debauchery.

I miss sanctity. Barely a week ago I saw a swarm of teenagers defiling and vandalising tombs and graves. I am an aetheist of no religious or supersticious bent. But even for me the resting places of the dead are sacred ground, you tread lightly and with respect or you leave. So seeing young punks destroying graves and defiling monuments to protest a war they do not comprehend sickened and disgusted me.

I miss love. Long dead are the days when loving someone actualy meant anything. Nowadays love is all but dead. replaced by an entirely disgusting, debauched affair. Lovers act more like prostitutes. Only staying together as long as the sex remains undiluted by such ancient corruptions of attachment, empathy, and worst of all, duty, I simply can not empathise with this generation of people who go from partner to partner simply demanding sex. It goes against my very nature.

But above all I miss pride . Oldest and most dead virtue of all. Pride in one's self. Pride in one's family and pride in one's country. My family left their home nation because they could not stomach what brittain had become. And that says a lot from a clan so proud of it's celtic roots. I miss the days when we did deeds we could be remembered for. Not crimes we want to forget. Im still proud of what I am and who I am, but even I've got more than one black stain on that honour.

Vindekarr: Although I sadly sense in you a certain bitterness, I must unfortunately say that I agree with you on many of your points. I am not quite as sure as you that all of these things are gone, but I do believe that we have to search harder for them now than we once did. I still hang on to my belief in the true human spirit. Their are those of us who have what you are looking for and now even more than in the past we must fight to hold on to it. Do not "miss" it. Bring it back. It is here, right at the surface. Let us not let it be buried under the miasma of shallow meaningless nonsense that goes on all around us. Bring it back.

I miss the good ol' days at high school before the coming of the "every-man-for-himself-and-God-against-them-all" precept.

Take your protein pills, boys

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif