What makes a mod popular?

BFG99

I'm rather new to the modding scene - I posted my first Oblivion mod a little over a month ago. I've been eager ever since then to get feedback from players - improvements, suggestions, etc. I've also put a lot of effort into advertising the existence of the mod.

Unfortunately, it just hasn't attracted all that much attention. About 70 unique downloads, 2 comments, 1 endorsement. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - I just thought there'd be more of a response, and was counting on feedback from the community to make improvements.

In the meantime, a similar mod - which was posted a mere two weeks before mine, and which only does about one fourth of what mine does (albeit well), has nearly 400 unique downloads, 30+ comments, and 17 endorsements. And that author hasn't done any advertising.

So, I'm wondering - what goes into your decision of whether to download or try a mod? What are the greatest influencing factors?

I'm guessing the mod you mention here (70 downloads, etc) is Swap Broken Armor and Item Health Scales Enchantments. Which similar mod overtook yours with the 400 downloads?

I've looked at this mod, and I think it's a really cool idea. However, I'm not interested in it primarily because it's complex. I have nearly 200 mods, including FCOM and a number of FCOM versions of other mods like cobl and Inhanced Daedric Invasion. The reason complexity scares me off is because at this point installing mods becomes a balancing act with actually being able to play the game. It seems every five minutes I run into some bug, crash, conflict, or design flaw that throws my game, and I have to troubleshoot everything all over again. While I'm sure your mod is fine in this regard, my point is that I'm in such a picky state when I decide to try a new mod that I pass up a lot of cool sounding mods.

Not to mention I'm nearing the limit, around 250 or so, where the game ceases to run anymore, so I really have to weigh my options. And I've got about ten little .esp files of my own that alter a few things here and there, like making things weigh slightly less, or giving the Dunmer more options than the corny red demon eyes.

It does suck when something happens like the 400 download mod being out for only two weeks longer. You have to keep in mind too that people will oftentimes go for the simpler choice by default, whether for my reasons, or because it's just plain less to worry about. Also, sometimes just because the masses like something, doesn't mean it's the best.

I'd like to know what the rival mod is, so I can compare it with yours. There might be a good reason in this particular case.

The two mods you've done already are technically impressive. Most people's first mods are simple little adjustments or small items or stores added somewhere. Don't give up making mods if you have more ideas.

As for what I look for in a mod, mostly things to correct Bethesda's boneheaded design moves like being able to swim just fine in full heavy armor. (You know Walk on Water is completely 100% useless right? You gain more athletics points swimming, so there's no reason at all to find a bridge. I use a mod that makes you sink if you're carrying too much.) I'm not so worried about exact immersion, I just want a game experience that doesn't feel rushed or geared toward people who don't care about more than mindless dungeon diving. I mod Oblivion to make it closer to my ideal of what a sandbox fantasy RPG should be. Oblivion has gone the furthest in the right direction, but it still needs some work to really be great.

I'm generally downloading gameplay affecting mods that adds realism or makes the game more interesting.

I don't like clothing/armor/creature mess in my Oblivion and focusing on game atmosphere.

Here's things that in my mind will make mod more popular:

-it should be technically good enough - quality bar raises as there comes more mods with cool scripts and graphics.

-mod should bring things that many people need. I saw many intersting mods that most people simply don't need by some reasons, like your 'Swap broken armor''

-if there's any similar mods, your one should have some advantages or be better in all ways than they, or mod that was uploaded earlier will be more popular than its new analogue

-the file's name must describe short and simple what it does, or many users will just skip it

-try to create topic on forums where folks can see mod's making progress

also users will offer you some new ideas

-if you're well known modder, try to include your nickname into mod's name

-mod is is simple

-mod brings sth totally new at the moment

-try to host it on few sites

And your mod can be unpopular also just because of unknown reasons -

For example, my WOA have 0 endorsements while Phitt's bombs have 5

Just cheer up and go modding further :)

Personally, I mod for myself first and foremost, so whatever I mod is made for me. I share it with the public afterwards. I would say that I don't care what the pub thinks, but that'd be a false statement. At the same token, I'm okay with it if my mod isn't popular as long as someone else enjoys it.

The main thing to make a mod popular is its presentation. If it's poorly presented, few will download it, because they don't know what they'll get. If it's music, put out a sample. If it's well.. Anything, a video always helps a ton. People like videos. Especially the well made ones. Your main time to 'sell' the mod is the time it's on the front page for being newly uploaded. Another way to boost it up a bit is to 'bump' it on the 'recently edited files' section by performing small edits on it about once every couple of days, but I'm not sure about the rules' stance on that.

Then again, sometimes the problem is just with the mod. In my opinion, one should never ever release a half complete mod. If you release on half complete and call it a beta, it's not going to make it. Nobody will download it because it might not work, and little interest will arise if you finish it because everyone has already seen it.

And of course, not all mods are for everybody. Midas Magic and Deadly Reflex, for example, are very popular because of a few reasons:

1. Even in beta, they were very well done and complete, with enough features to make it worthwhile.

2. They appeal to a huge audience. Most tweaks don't end up particularly popular because not everyone really notices such things. People love, however, flashy new combat and spells.

3. They've got big-name authors. The authors of most popular mods are very well known, like Mr_Siika, WillieSea, or Divine Avenger. They got there by constantly releasing good quality mods. (I'm working on the big name thing myself, it's difficult)

I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, consider this a disclaimer.

Defenatly im looking for mods that change the gameplay to be better, there is tons of mod with clothing/armor/accessories here, wich is nice but when u put that armor on yourself and start to move/combat its like seeing 2 worlds collide, becouse the game play dont holds on with those shiny armors when u see your character swinging that sword like he/she lost his/her spine.

Thats why on the first place in my top 10 are animation/immersive/overhaul mods wich make the gameplay alot more fun, something that should have been made in the first place by bethesda.

Also mods that add race's with unique abilities like shadowmoon elves or abyss demon race, there are plenty of things to make the gameplay better and im damn happy that more and more immersive/animations mods are being made.

If u make another shiny armor ppl will download it for sure, but if u make a mod wich enhances the gemaplay by alot u can be sure it will be popular in no time. :thumbsup:

What Ub3rman said. Im not a modder, but like almost all Obly players (PC ones that is :) im a heavy mod user. What is important for me is some kind of visualization, images, videos, or if a technical mod, a detailed and concise description (some people may not know what the technical stuff are until you explain it). And I also like name acrynims, (OOO, MMM, Wry, weOCPS. etc) because they do 2 things at once: advertise the creator AND explain the mod in very few words. Im not advocating "flash" over "substance", but when you're creating a mod for a game that has thousands(?) of mods already, well, you have to stand out someway.

As a relatively new player, when I look for mods I either look for cool new toys (e.g. Akatosh mount, Midas Magic, etc.) new quest content to look forward to (let's admit it, the game felt huge when I began, but there's really five major questlines and that's it. e.g. Lost Spires, Blade Song, Legends of the North,) or atmosphere/graphics improvement (Qarl3's textures, realistic lighting, etc.)

After my fiasco with Open Cities (even compatibility patching couldn't make it work without messing things up, by the end of my troubleshooting I had gaping holes in the middle of Chorrol and Anvil) I had to uninstall it and because of that I don't download things that I think will significantly overhaul the major cities in the game.