Mod Load Order - What am I doing wrong?

damnedifiknow

Hey, I am relatively new here (on the forum.. been downloading mods for quite a while), and I have been suffering game crashes and lock-ups due to mods I have running. I will list them here, in their current order:

Oblivion.esm

Marts Monster Mod.esm

HorseCombatMaster.esm

Armamentarium.esm

Atmospheric Oblivion.esp

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp

Marts Monster Mod.esp

Marts Monster Mod Looting NPCs & Creatures.esp

Marts Monster Mod Increased Spawn Rates.esp

Marts Monster Mod Hunting & Crafting.esp

Marts Monster Mod City Defences.esp

Marts Monster Mod Diverse Imperial Armor.esp

Marts Monster Mod Durability & Damage.esp

Marts Monster Mod More Wilderness Life.esp

Marts Monster Mod Resized Races.esp

Marts Monster Mod Zombies for Body Meshes.esp

Marts Monster Mod Gems & Gem Dust.esp

Marts Monster Mod Diverse Creature Skins.esp

Armory of the Silver Dragon.esp

CuteElf11.esp

ArmamentariumLL.esp

ArmamentariumLLMagic.esp

DeadlyReflex 5 Combat Moves.esp

As non-esp mods I have:

Darnified UI 1.3.2

Optimised_Distant_Land_MAX_1_1_OMOD-15278

I do use Oblivion Mod Manager for most of my mods. All of these mods are installed correctly. They all function, but the conflicts have unfortunate results. I have checked the Conflict Detector that comes with the Oblivion Mod Manager, but I am more confused than helped. If anyone with a similar array of mods could direct me to a better load order (preferably with minimal or no crashes and lock-ups), I would be forever happy. :)

Also look into Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System and Fast Exit 2

Wrye Bash's bashed patch feature will help your mod's better coexist, download Wrye Python to get all Bash's support programs.

Refer to the Bashed Patch suggestions given by BOSS to best optimize your "bashed patch, 0.esp" :thumbsup:

Try using BOSS to sort your load order. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20516

The one thing that jumped out for me was I believe that the unofficial patch should come before The atmospheric Oblivion mod

For some reason, when I try to use BOSS (exactly as the instructions dictate) all I get is an error message:

BOSS.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

So I moved on to Wrye Bash... which is so complicated my head may yet explode (its been threatening to for a while >.<)... Checking the site did little to aid me. I think I this will be the third-last resort.

I have attempted the suggested crash fixer... No noticeable changes, but it may have stopped some crashes.

I apologize for the supernatural difficulty, this is one wacked up System. I am now on my way to try the other suggested fix. Thank you for all of your help sofar, and if you have anything else that could help fix these problems, please, let me know.

Hi, I'm quite new at getting mods to run myself. But sofar I've reinstalled oblivion and mods 4-5 times now. Just to get it working right.

At the moment I'm running the following mods.

Kvatch rebuilt.esm

UOP oblivion patch

DLCShivering Isles

UOP Shivering Isles patch

Natural Weather HDR (all max taels)

Natural Habitat

Natural Water

Window lighting system

MaleBodyReplacer V4

DeliveranceFireEnchanted (just a sword)

KohdiAnduril (another sword)

Tyrael Armor (just an armor)

Kvatch.esp

DLCKnights (of the nine)

UOPKnights

Natural Vegetation

Vilja Companion

Neeshka Companion

Pets of chorrol (not the petshop but might be the culprit?)

Sonia Companion

All of them "should" be the latest version.

I'm also running QTP3 with the UOP patch for it. Made it into an omod. But doesn't show up in the load list. The same with the HGEC 1.21 mod.

The latest approach I've been trying out is to either use the mods own OMOD or make it into an omod myself. Just to let modmanager handle allmost everything.

Afterwards I used BOSS.

This way of doing it has worked out reasonably well. A few rare quit CTD's and some strange problems with the Arren mod. Eg. his cats head is the only thing visible and I'm hearing a strange explosion sound every minute or so (lol).

Basically I just wanted to say that reinstalling oblivion from scratch would probably be worth a try. Espcially if you can't get BOSS to work.

Try using BOSS to sort your load order. http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=20516

The one thing that jumped out for me was I believe that the unofficial patch should come before The atmospheric Oblivion mod

For some reason, when I try to use BOSS (exactly as the instructions dictate) all I get is an error message:

BOSS.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point EncodePointer could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

So I moved on to Wrye Bash... which is so complicated my head may yet explode (its been threatening to for a while >.<)... Checking the site did little to aid me. I think I this will be the third-last resort.

I have attempted the suggested crash fixer... No noticeable changes, but it may have stopped some crashes.

I apologize for the supernatural difficulty, this is one wacked up System. I am now on my way to try the other suggested fix. Thank you for all of your help sofar, and if you have anything else that could help fix these problems, please, let me know.

No no no .... You don't use the BOSS.exe

You place all the files in your data folder and then run the .bat

Reading a readme isn't that hard - and it might solve your problems before they start. (Not trying to insult, it's the truth... People only look at pictures... Readme's are there for a reason ... )

I was having a lot of game crashes as well. What I tried to do (after looking at load order ofcourse) is I disabled about half of my mods, to see how things were running then, and then disabled the other half, and so on, basically trying to narrow down which mod is causing me problems. Obvioulsy you have to use common sense while doing this, such as if your character is saved in Elsweyr, don't disable the Elsweyr mod (at least not while you're there).

This can be kind of a dangerous process, so be sure to BACK UP your saves, as well as your Oblivion folder and anything else you can think of, that way if you accidently mess things up royally while doing this, you can just throw everything back where it was and be safe. Just be very careful, and think before you act, and if you try this, consider yourself warned that you should back up and be careful. I just don't want to get blamed if something goes wrong. So please be careful.

Also too, if you really think that it's a load order issue, Wrye Bash has a function that will tell you if there are any mods that aren't in the right order. Just open Wrye Bash, go to the mods tab, and look at the little teeny icons in the bottom left. The second one from the right (at least it should be) is the mod checker. Click on that and it will pop up a box that should somewhere tell you if you have any mods that aren't in order.

There is no need to reinstall over and over. To get back to the vanilla - no mods but with the official patch try this instead. It will save a lot of time and is completely reversible.

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=340

TodaY, I got that error when trying to use the .bat file... And when I try to use BOSS in Wrye Bash (It has a little button) it opens, but simply gives nothing but a blank notepad, which from what I've read is not what it is supposed to do. Probably due to my version of XP (Not exactly standard...)

I have done what you said, ablonaut, with disabling mods and narrowing it down, and I think I've found the culprits.

CuteElf11.esp

DeadlyReflex 5 - Combat Moves.esp

I have a high level CuteElf character, and Deadly Reflex is a favorite.. However, I am certain that the crashes have at least been quite reduced, and I also removed Pluggy (not being used by anything). I am still going to look up more on Wrye Bash and learn more of its functions, so thank you.

78stonewobble, I have already re-installed, but thanks.. I believe BOSS doesn't run because of my messed up version of Windows XP Professional (a ton of programs won't, but all I need is OB xP)

Thank you all for your consideration and help. I really do appreciate it.

And now, I am off to play Oblivion.

G'day :cool:

There is no need to reinstall over and over. To get back to the vanilla - no mods but with the official patch try this instead. It will save a lot of time and is completely reversible.

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=340

Nice tip :)

I havent found ordinary remove reinstall that annoying YET though.

@damnedifiknow: Good to hear that you narrowed it down that much. If you want to but cant play along with that character maybe you could try out windom earles "oblivion crash protection" obse plugin?

Regarding your win xp. If it's acting up you could try to run "sfc /scannow" with your windows xp cd in the drive. It will check that system files are in order and correct versions. Thats allways worth a shot before you grudgingly bite the bullet and reinstall windows. :)