Ign article: No ladders in fallout.

SpacemanSpIiff

Must have been a slow day if someone was inspired to write that...:P

But I actually think that there are ladders. Not free-standing ones, but I definitely seem to remember climbing down metal rungs embedded into concrete...like down into a subway tunnel or sewer or something. I'm pretty sure it was Fallout, too..

One of my pet peeves - not so much with Beth as with the game engine.

Along with no climbable ropes, trees, walls, unable to climb anything else, such as on rocks. You must jump up - Jumping - if you are right against a 6 inch curb and try to hop up - you must back up a little first. And the jump that is there is anemic. You can jump up about a foot maximum, and forward several feet. And even that is awkward. A running jump is the same as a standing jump - no distance or height advantage.

Only 2 speeds - slow walk and run, creeping in stealth mode is about the same as the walk speed.

Stealth is automatically crouched down only. No stealth when standing, no crawling.

All of these are limitations of the game engine that the developers had to work around. Newer game engines have some of these features, but it takes time to change - all programmers must be retrained, new contracts must be negotiated, new ways of doing things must be worked out, and there will be new things that the new engine won't be able to do that you have to figure a way around.

I've been sincerely hoping that TES5 (and fallout4?) will be on a new engine simply because of the animation limitations that the current engine Bethesda is using. (forgot what its called....think its Gamebryo)

Must have been a slow day if someone was inspired to write that...:P

But I actually think that there are ladders. Not free-standing ones, but I definitely seem to remember climbing down metal rungs embedded into concrete...like down into a subway tunnel or sewer or something. I'm pretty sure it was Fallout, too..

You are correct except those ladders involve loading screens. They act like doors, you walk up to one and it says ladder to subway or something like that.

Well... The PC can't do it but NPC was made to do that in Point Lookout!

To not make a spoiler, Mr Jackson at a certain point in game will climb a very long ladder. Not thinking many noticed that since you are occupied with other tasks at that point. :whistling:

Well... The PC can't do it but NPC was made to do that in Point Lookout!

To not make a spoiler, Mr Jackson at a certain point in game will climb a very long ladder. Not thinking many noticed that since you are occupied with other tasks at that point. :whistling:

And a certain someone does a remarkable free-climb up a sheer cliffside in Operation Anchorage.

I did notice Mr Jackson do that climb though, was enthralling. Certainly someone at the studio put alot of effort into it when he could've just had him dissappear like every other NPC prior to that.

Also, someone made a functioning ladder somewhere underground, though they only function if you're going up, not down.

why not make ladders like counter strike is it that hard? heck counterstrike doesn't even use animation for ladders so theirs no need for hard work just allowing the player climb a ladder by holstering the gun like when in water and easy climbing just needs more scripting and stuff like that hope F:NV allows that kind of action if not i am gonna hate Bethesda and obsidian for not thinking and just waste time making a copy of FO3 animations and making the game in desert version. HATE TO SAY that Half-Life 1 has ladder climbing and it was published at 2000 or 2001 and today's games are more advanced how could FO3 NOT HAVE THAT??

-BsA- preparing for the future GAMES