Do I have to buy another copy of Skyrim, even they'll I don't have a physical copy disc?

hard8

I tried to buy another copy of the base game from steam, but steam said I already owned it.

Do I need another physical copy of the base game disc?

I don't mind paying another $29 at amazon to buy another new copy.

No. If you own the game on Steam, just install it via Steam. Why would you want to buy another copy of the game for yourself? Are you looking to gift it to someone?

You have it registered on Steam, so that disc copy you sold won't be valid for that other person (which is why Steam is stating that you already own the copy). Install Skyrim via Steam (you won't need the CD, but be ready to lose your bandwidth due to a huge download) and find out if it's still valid.

Games that are authenticated via Steam (disc or virtual) can only belong to the account for which the game is originally registered to. The person who you sold the game to won't be able to use his copy; the registration code for the disc copy belongs to your account.

Whichever it is, if it's registered on Steam, then it means the registration code is yours, and yours only, and therefore you won't require to buy another disc or virtual copy of the game.

I would suggest, for the future, that you remember not to sell your used disc copies of games which require registration via Steam. Unless otherwise mentioned or supported, games (and their access codes) authenticated via Steam belong to your account. Selling the game afterwards won't allow the new users to legally use the game via Steam, since the access/registration code doesn't belong to them.

Yeah it got into the box I had my old PC in when I sold it at the pawn shop and when I went back to retrieve it they had sold my old PC along with what was in the box.

I'll wait a in tell I get my new PC and try to install skyrim and if it don't work then I'll buy another disc, I have 59 other steam games to hold me over to.

Basically physical version of skyrim are only used for the piece of paper (CD key) to register in steam and a pretty box to display on a shelf.

Once the Key has been used with steam (which it has to be), the CD's themselves are useless. Updating skyrim from 1.0 -> latest + DLC's is way more "bandwidth" then you "save" by using CD's to install it.

Unless your ISP throttles you, bandwidth is not really a big deal. Here in NYC, I have a 60mbit down 30mbit up connection, with no "daily" limits or monthly limits. Usually 7 devices are hooked up to my router and sometimes I'd hit 100gb/day since my TV provider works over the internet, and I have an ip phone provider too.

Factor that with all of my sisters streaming, my streaming + gaming, tv streaming channels at 3-4mbit/sec -- pretty big load (R7000 handles it), thank you for no caps Optimum Online!