The Moon or Mars?

Keanumoreira

The Moon or Mars?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you prefer to live?

• The Moon
    • Mars
    • I like Earth just fine
    • Is there a third planet to choose from?
    • How about one outside this Solar System?
    • Other
  2. 2. Why?

• Mars is better
    • Earth is better
    • I'm sick of the Earth
    • Mars appears exotic
    • Travel is my passion

Since my last topic got banned (For a stupid reason which will not be named), I've decided to start fresh. Which is more preferable, the Moon or Mars?

(Please do not fight in this innocent thread. I have been a victim to topic bannings (Most of them innocent such as this), because people don't know how to behave. Please don't question/comment this notification or cause trouble; don't give me a reason to report you.)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there is the slight matter of gravity and a lack of oxygen. And a good internet connection? Not a chance.

How do you know? Technology could advance so much that artifical gravity, controlled oxygen, and the migration of the internet from planet to planet (Or they could travel in between; now that would be bad ass.) could be a reality. But for the most part I do agree with you, at least for the first few years (Or even centuries) of colonization.

Well, yeah, but that all seems like such a hassle when we have it all provided free of charge by nature. I mean, can you imagine having to pay AT&T for your oxygen, then they cut you off due to a glitch in their checking accounts?

Until there's really a reason to leave the planet, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to.

Well, yeah, but that all seems like such a hassle when we have it all provided free of charge by nature. I mean, can you imagine having to pay AT&T for your oxygen, then they cut you off due to a glitch in their checking accounts?

Until there's really a reason to leave the planet, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to.

You make a really good point, but there is a solution.

Based on your comment, if this was the moon, than yeah, it would suck. But for Mars, we don't need to worry about Oxygen and gravity charges. (Well maybe gravity.) Here's why.

Mars is thought to have been just like Earth, until a few billion years ago, it suddenly died for no apparent reason. If this is true, then most likely what happened is that the core stopped churning and stopped producing heat, turning Mars into a cold, dead planet like it is today. This means that all of its gases, water, and other liquids never left the planet, they were just locked underground in ice sheets. So, how to terraform Mars back into a Golden World? Simple, you melt the ice, and for human civilization that's very simple...burn carbon dioxide which is what we do everyday. In a matter of centuries, all of the water would return, the atmosphere would gradually grow, and, although this may take a lot longer, life itself will return as long as we provide sufficent heat to substitute for a dead core. Of course, this still leaves one crucial problem: Radiation. A working core is needed to create a magnetic field, which of course is used to reflect Solar Storms from the sun, and it's impossible to revive a dead core. Of course technology advancement once again solves this, but this will absoultly be needed to live on Mars (Maybe an artifical magnetic field.). The point is, it's possible, we're just making it a lot harder than it needs to be.

If we wait until we have a reason that requires us to leave the planet it will already be too late, foresight would dictate having more than on option. You don't wait to build a tornado shelter until you hear the klaxon sounding.

The colonization of space by humans is imperative to our long term survival! When my friends and I our discussing certain topics of intellectual rigor it is inevitable that future technology and space travel come up. However much to my dismay most of the people I discuss space travel with don't seem to believe it is a viable option. Certain arguments are raised its to exspensive we should concentrate on building a perfect world were all animals can be represented by the UN and everyone is happy and corporations are a nightmare of the past. Now despite some of those "valid" arguments I believe that the technological spin offs of a renewed space race would eventually pay for the program. As an added bonus humanities place in the galaxy would be more secure. Unfourtunatly most politicians seem to think that if they spend money on utopian fantasies they will get reelected despite the detriment of the common people. I truley hope they see reason, but I am not crossing my fingers.

well, i prefer earth cause i havent seen enough of it yet, you have to experiance everything to be sick of it, if someone went on vacation every six months to france for a period of six years things tend to get boring, the whole "wearing out" feel has to come into play, not neccisarily for what people see on tv or hear from other people, you have to experiance enough things more than once to get bored with it, thus the colonization of space must happen after our advancement of human technology like the our current MASSIVE pursuit of Quantum Mechanics