Video editing software suggestions?

I find myself needing some half-way decent free video editing software for handling things from Fraps. Ideally, I'd like to be able to speed up or slow the video, add/replace sound, join clips together, remove segments, and possibly add some sort of notations.

Was using Any Video Converter, but this doesn't seem to cut it for what I would like to do.

The primary reason for this is to finally learn some basics of video production for youtube and such.

Any suggestions?

Hi Vagrant,

for this i'm using the Windows Live Movie Maker. You can cut the video and add pictures, animations and effects. It is a little easy editing tool and it is free.

have fun,

Paxan

Doesn't seem like either of those will work for me. Windows movie maker is part of Windows Live, and I'd really rather not have such a bloated, spy-happy, piece of garbage on my system like Windows Live.

Virtual dub looks like it might be able to join stuff together, but it doesn't really seem to have any means of removing/speeding up segments, adding transitions, and the like.

You can install 2.6, it works on Windows 7 and is nothing to do with live. Windows movie maker is about the best free editor there is, you get what pay for sadly. There are a few inexpensive editors about, Ulead VideoStudio and PowerDirector are two that spring to mind. It might be worth checking for trial versions of these. I bought PowerDirector because at the time it was the only editor that could handle AVCHD well from my camcorder, I've got more than my moneys worth out of it.

You can install 2.6, it works on Windows 7 and is nothing to do with live. Windows movie maker is about the best free editor there is, you get what pay for sadly. There are a few inexpensive editors about, Ulead VideoStudio and PowerDirector are two that spring to mind. It might be worth checking for trial versions of these. I bought PowerDirector because at the time it was the only editor that could handle AVCHD well from my camcorder, I've got more than my moneys worth out of it.

Tried 2.6, it seems to do what I want to do, but after being uploaded to youtube, the quality went down greatly. Any ideas about settings or formats?

Keep the resolution and bitrate as high as possible. I use 720p@6000kps WMV, it looks good enough without creating massive files. I would go higher but I only get 80k up so huge files are a bit of pain.

I have a question how well does WMA support 5.1 surround???

What bitrate do you recommend for that???

I have no idea, my game captures are in stereo and is the stuff from my camcorder, I've never had to use it. A quick look in PowerDirector suggests it may not, the 5.1 is greyed out when WMV is selected as the output format.