[WIP] Immersive Horses

sevencardz

@nivea - My mod pretty much has to edit the horse NPCs and HorseRace directly in order to work, but the changes it makes could easily be incorporated into any new horse NPCs or races with a simple patch or alternate ESP built for use with your mod. Users could choose the Immersive Horses ESP to fit their desires: vanilla horses, KrittaKitty horses, nivea horses.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldnt be to hard to put out a patch for that then, my mod still has a long ways to go though so no worries on that for awhile. So long as your not editing the horse outfits or their inventory things should be pretty simple to fix.

Yep, I don't change anything about the outfits or the inventory (except provide a way to access it) and I'd much rather have someone who's really good at that handle it anyway (like you, for example). :smile:

Edited by sevencardz

Progress is going smoothly. Horses now have a simple menu which is accessible by crouching/sneaking. You can have them follow you or stay put, access their inventory, and soon there will be a rename feature.

For the first release, I still plan on...

Adding the ability for followers to ride horses (did some research - seems easier than I thought).
MCM option to automatically add the protected flag to any horse you own.
MCM option to map a key to toggle walk/trot with a keyboard (default to walk).

I think I'm going to save the horse level-up system for a subsequent release or possibly as an optional add-on or possibly not at all. It's going to have to be somewhat complex any way you break it down. The biggest question left in my mind is what would count toward a horse's "experience points"? If experience is based on time alone, then you can just wait around for your horse to fully upgrade, which is lame. If experience is based directly on how much you ride the horse, that's pretty lame and linear too. The best idea I can think of at the moment is to base it on intensive exercise for the horse on a regular basis. Something like... each day you can gain one horse experience point if you ride the horse at full gallop for a certain distance or period of time. Each point could give the horse a marginal increase in size, carry weight, health, stamina and speed. That's border-line chore-like, though, and I hate chores. I don't want to have to remember to excercise my horse every day and I might not feel like it every day either. Then the horse dies in a dragon attack and you lose all your progress - uber lame.

So if I skip the level-up system for now, the functionality should be done in less than a few weeks, then a few weeks in Beta, then official release probably early 2015.

Not quite - That just replaces the walking animation with the trot. It doesn't actually fix the issue I'm talking about where the rear legs in the animation look odd while trotting.

Also - the rename functionality is successfully implemented, along with an overhaul to the little horse option menu. That was sooooo much easier to do with SkyUILib than it was with the Creation Kit. It also looks nicer.

This one adds new animations including a trot, I find parts of them to be much improved then vanilla. Though it looks alittle off at times and not very realistic pose for the horses head and reins.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54908/?

Yeah, I took a look at that mod when it first came out and had the same reservations about the head and reigns, but I had completely forgotten about it, so thanks for posting that, nivea. I'm very tempted to use that War Horse for something. So many good modders resources out there for horses. I'm like a kid in a candy store.

But unfortunately... that new trotting animation STILL doesn't fix the problem I'm referring to. On closer analysis, I think the problem stems from the horse skeleton itself because I've noticed this problem regardless of the texture or animation being used. I took some screenshots to show you guys exactly what I'm talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/uhKg2rD.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/xoSqGdY.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/JD7SkkC.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/3UAaFhy.jpg

The hip distortion issue is prominent in both the vanilla and horse renewal animations. The distorted leg issue is less prominent with the horse renewal animations, but it's still there. My screenshots were taken with the vanilla animations to showcase the issue. Only while trotting, the left hip of the horse will cut into the horse's torso and the left leg bows outward in a way that would break a real horse's leg. It only happens on the left side of the horse.

Edited by sevencardz

@reyzark - All good suggestions. A few things are keeping me from jumping into saddles and armors, though. One being the ability to craft/buy/equip/unequip them, all of which are features I'd have to mostly do myself because those mods don't include those features. Also, they might end up being incompatible with the horse meshes/textures I decide to use, but I'll certainly keep them in mind, along with nivea's WIP horse and tack mod.

Regarding tumbajumba's mounts - I'd be interested to test and see if my tweaks to horse speed effect any of those mounts (probably not). I also hope someone makes a Mammoth mount like was suggested on the forums. I want to fight dragons on the back of a freaking War Mammoth. I really like the dragon saddle too, but that would probably fit best in a dragon mod of sorts.