[WIP] Immersive Horses

sevencardz

My current solution to this "problem" is simple. Fade the screen to black, place the object at player, forward 2 or more hours game time, then fade back in. BAM, Instant immersion! :D

You could have a dialog that says, wait here, ill go get your horse, then the screen goes black and so on...

Happy new year btw lol

Interesting idea, but I'd rather add horses in other even more immersive ways. :smile: Maybe expand some of the existing stables or add more horses to the wilds. So far, I've added a second horse to Whiterun stables, made a third stall out of the big middle one, fixed the doors on the stalls (they open the wrong way) and fixed all the fences.

Yup horseshoes are all done except adding more metal types, currently on break seeing as its been holidays in USA and that means busy time doing other stuff. I might wait on this mods release since its adding a lot to the game and then build my mod around it, or at least get a good idea how to make them work 100% together.

Working shoes:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8624/15228051943_da17b3e22d_o.jpg

Sounds good to me and those horse shoes are lookin' stylish! We might need to put together an episode of pimp your horse for Skyrim. At some point I do plan to release a beta to you guys so you can bang around on it and see what needs fixin'. I'm going to get things as complete as possible before that, though.

Ground mesh is used in both inventory screen and when you drop it, also no you can not really use a rigged model of the horse as the ground mesh without some real issues anytime anyone drops it.

I would suggest just using a bag or horse skin (do not remember the name of the horse skin item lol) if you can not make your own versions.

Good idea - that'll work for now. :smile: OK, so I've decided that crafting will be possible for saddles and armors. You will also be able to temper horse armors because well... why the hell not? Armor, weight, value and crafting materials are roughly equivalent or a bit higher than a full suit of armor and a shield of the same material. You will also need the relevant perks to craft them. I'll probably make at least saddles purchasable from the stable masters at some point, too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting idea, but I'd rather add horses in other even more immersive ways. :smile: Maybe expand some of the existing stables or add more horses to the wilds. So far, I've added a second horse to Whiterun stables, made a third stall out of the big middle one, fixed the doors on the stalls (they open the wrong way) and fixed all the fences.

That's cool, but the problem I see with it is that it creates incompatibilities with other location mods and IMO it falls out of scope of your mod (which is a gameplay mod). For instance I'm using whiterun exteriors expansion, and if this new bigger stable is incompatible with that, then I either have to choose between one, and they're barely related to one another, one is a horse gameplay overhaul the other is a town expansion mod, these shouldn't be incompatible.

So if you want my advice don't make any changes to any locations, I know it's more immersive this way, but it also creates a lot of incompatibilities. Horses in the wild is also a cool idea, but I think people should be able to buy a horse if they want. I know you already put a lot of time into this, but please think about this and refrain from changing the stables. If you do it the black screen way, there's less work specific to stables, and if any mod adds any stables, compatibility patching would be as easy as adding the stable master to a faction or a formlist.

That's cool, but the problem I see with it is that it creates incompatibilities with other location mods and IMO it falls out of scope of your mod (which is a gameplay mod). For instance I'm using whiterun exteriors expansion, and if this new bigger stable is incompatible with that, then I either have to choose between one, and they're barely related to one another, one is a horse gameplay overhaul the other is a town expansion mod, these shouldn't be incompatible.

So if you want my advice don't make any changes to any locations, I know it's more immersive this way, but it also creates a lot of incompatibilities. Horses in the wild is also a cool idea, but I think people should be able to buy a horse if they want. I know you already put a lot of time into this, but please think about this and refrain from changing the stables. If you do it the black screen way, there's less work specific to stables, and if any mod adds any stables, compatibility patching would be as easy as adding the stable master to a faction or a formlist.

These worldspace changes are actually really minor. I basically just finished what Bethesda started on that Whiterun stable. I can also provide an optional version of the ESP that doesn't include them quite easily, so I'll do that too.

Any mod that directly edits the stables quest and doesn't incorporate my changes to it would be incompatible or redundant with this one anyway. Compatibility is one of the reasons I added buying more horses into the stables quest itself, since I have to edit it to make horses work properly. The reason is that horses don't actually have any specific A.I. packages in vanilla because the stables quest is the main A.I. handler for horses you own in Skyrim, which forces all horses you buy into a common behaviour. This limits you to one horse at any given time and it can't be told to follow you. So, since I had to free all horses from the shackles of the stables quest, I just added in buying the second horse that was already there at each stable.

I like the idea of the fade to black method, but I don't see most people having much use for more than about 10 horses or so. I have my hands full managing five or six of them. But there's no reason we can't have both and if it were done, I'd like to have my choice of color and breed and to hear some nice voice acted dialog to go along with the dialog options on screen, unless you want to Fus Ro Doh it or just use generic vendor dialog and show an inventory-like screen of horses for the player to choose from, which is less immersive, imo. You could even combine it with macrad's idea of selling your horse back to a stable master. Combine it again with KrittaKitty's plethora of horse textures that need a way to fit into the game and it sounds like a great expansion mod for this one. :smile:

Did someone say... Even More Immersive Horses?

I could get a VA for you. I know a bunch of voice actors and am relatively well known on various volunteer VA websites. I could set it up for you and show you auditions, whenever you need it.

I agree that you probably don't need more than 10 horses. The reason I'm thinking infinite horses are necessary is because your horses can die. You can buy 7 horses for you and followers, have all the horses killed, then buy 7 more and have them killed too. I think if the world of skyrim never runs out of wolves it also shouldn't run out of horses either lol.

I could get a VA for you. I know a bunch of voice actors and am relatively well known on various volunteer VA websites. I could set it up for you and show you auditions, whenever you need it.

That's awesome Matthias, thanks for the offer! I don't currently have anything that needs voice acting, but now we have options for the future. :smile: I'll keep this in mind.

I agree that you probably don't need more than 10 horses. The reason I'm thinking infinite horses are necessary is because your horses can die. You can buy 7 horses for you and followers, have all the horses killed, then buy 7 more and have them killed too. I think if the world of skyrim never runs out of wolves it also shouldn't run out of horses either lol.

True, the horses can die but they are set to respawn in vanilla, so you actually already have that functionality. :smile: Also, the mod has an MCM option to give all horses the protected flag if you wish, so your enemies can't kill them, but you still can.

I finished up and rebalanced the crafting and tempering recipes last night. I also found a super slick way to get a reference to the horse's equipped saddle via SKSE. I freaking love SKSE.

Here it is guys and gals!

Immersive Horses 0.1 BETA (107 MB)

RELEASE NOTES

1. The mod is in an unfinished state and has only been lightly tested. Take all necessary precautions in backing up your stuff. The mod may not work properly on existing saved games as it has not been tested in such a situation. The mod has only been tested on new games via console commands. Please report any bugs you find.

2. There's an option in the MCM to give yourself all the armors, lots of gold to buy horses, and a massive carry weight. Use only for testing.

3. Parts of horses will clip through their barding in certain areas, especially the mane. I'm hoping to coerce a nice texture artist to fix this up. There's also that animation issue while trotting I detailed a few pages back that I hope to get fixed.

4. Barding crafted with heavier materials will significantly limit the gallop distance of your horse because it drains the horse's stamina much faster. Currently, their light and heavy armor skill is set to 40 to help prevent the horses from running out of stamina too quickly while galloping with barding equipped. It should also actually mitigate damage from physical attacks, but I haven't tested that yet.

5. The crafting recipes and stats for the barding use arbitrary values which I loosely based on a full set of armor of similar material for a humanoid. Same goes for the horse stats themselves. Please feel free to suggest changes or improvements that help balance/improve/immersify things.

6. At each stable, I give the second horse a saddle after you buy the first horse. This means that after buying the first horse, both horses will have saddles, but you will only actually own one of them. Choose wisely.

7. Equipping barding on a horse whilst riding said horse causes Havok to go all wonkyfritz on the horse. Enjoy.

8. I made some worldspace edits to Whiterun stables because it was missing a horse and looked wrong. I will eventually release a separate ESP without these changes for compatibility with other mods. The extra horse saddles and barding will also be an optional ESP separate from the main mod.

9. SkyUI seems to have a bug where it doesn't update which item the horse has equipped on the inventory screen until you exit and re-enter the inventory screen or add/remove another item. Sometimes it even shows two similar items equipped at the same time. This might also be a vanilla bug which just shows up in SkyUI or something I am missing/doing wrong.

10. I still want more KrittaKitty horses in the game. I also want nivea's horses and tack. Maybe a new stable somewhere. I also want it to work with Horse Cloaks - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60649

Test it out. Hit it with a hammer. See what breaks.

Edited by sevencardz