Probably Simple Request

Beefyh

I'm pretty sure that someone has probably thought of this. It seems easy enough to me. And if so I apologize, because I can't find it. Anyways, in Fallout 3, when you would kill an enemy you could either take their weapon from their corpse or the ground. It is such a pain in Oblivion to have to find weapons that might have glitched out of the map or are playing hide and seek aggressively. I am just wondering if it is possible to copy that functionality over to Oblivion. Kudos to the person that links me to it if it exists or makes it :)

It's possible, but not the same way fallout 3 does it. You just need somebody to make a script that detects the NPC's equipped weapon, then when the NPC dies, add that weapon to the NPC's inventory. Then also (in the same script) if the player picks the weapon off the floor, detect the weapon being added to the player's inventory, and remove the item from the NPC inventory. It might get a bit glitchy with multiple enemies in the same immediate area, but it's something.

So it is possible? I don't care about taking the weapon off the ground, I do have self-control. It sounds like it would work, can the weapon on the ground have the same reference as in the inventory? The only glitches I would think without this is quest weapons and such.

Setting iDeathDropWeaponChance to 0 will ensure that all weapon-wielding creatures/npc's will hold onto their weapon on death, hence have it remain in their inventory. Activating the weapon will result in opening their inventory instead of adding the weapon to your inventory, but I honestly can't see where this would ever be a problem.

While it should be possible to kludge a version which mimics Fallout's system, the amount of possible bugs and error checking needed, in addition to the problem of scripts ceasing to be run on dead npc's would make it far more effort than its worth, assuming it is possible to do it safely.

I'll advise what Skevitj said. It's far easier to just keep them from dropping their weapons than to make a system to determine what weapon they have, then remove/add it to their inventory as necessary.

And you can't call references on something in someone's inventory, I believe.