[LE] Walk/run and Caps-lock bug fix.

Tajjara

I'm not sure if this is something everyone experiences, but I've had it happen on every game I've made, mods or vanilla, and so have all my friends who play Skyrim.

When menus are opened, sometimes the game seems to switch your walk/run toggle to the opposite state. This includes opening the Steam overlay. This can be a huge pain if you open a menu during a fight to take a potion, only to get all messed up in your movement when you close the menu because the game decided to switch your movement state.

I've also had the game toggle my caps lock randomly, which isn't a huge deal, but it can be annoying when using Steam to chat.

Is this something everyone else also experiences? Can it be fixed, like how the double-cursor bug was?

Whenever something interacts with you while you are moving, the game attempts to return you to the state it thinks you were in before the interaction took place. However, it does not recognize if you were holding the toggle key when such interaction took place.

It might be theoretically possible to use SKSE to listen for key presses. When walk/run (default shift key) is depressed while moving and a menu is opened, have SKSE tap the walk/run toggle (default caps lock) when the menu is exited.

As far as the caps lock randomly toggling, I find that with its near proximity to the A key that it gets accidentally hit. Thus I remapped my keys to not use the caps lock key at all.

• 8 years later...

Now, in 2022, the only solution, despite all fixes and SKSE-scripts, is to rebind the always run key from caps lock to another key. This will not hinder the toggle when going trough doors or ending dialouges, but then you have the possibility just to toggle back.