I'm trying to make a sound mod, but I've got a lot of questions...

ElNachoCR

So yeah, this is actually my first try making a sound mod, I already extracted all the sound effects from the Skyrim Sounds.bsa file and already have the sound effects I want to use as a replacer ready, but I can't find a couple of SE and I'm a little bit confused. So get ready because this is a long post....

I want to change the key sound effects, that includes opening locked chests and doors, and also change the pickup sound effect for it, but I'm condused about the files names.

In fact I'll just put here which SEs I want to replace, if that's ok... I want to change

- Key being picked up
- Key used
- Potion Picked up
- Drinking a potion
- Ring being picked up (does that one even exist in Skyrim or is it just a generic pickup sound?)
- Gold (in general)
- Scroll picked
- Items dropped (removing them from inventory)
- Bow picked up

I may want to change even more SEs in the future but I want to take it slowly as it isn't just my first sound mod, it is the first time I'm actually making a mod for Skyrim...

There are some names that are called itm_key_up and itm_key_down both have two different versions, but what does the up and down mean on their names? I've found a lot of other items that have those "Up" and "Down" in the title, I assume that means that Up means someone directly gives it to you? Like when it says "random door key added" on the upper screen and down means someone takes it from you right? I'm not sure...

There are some SE that I simply can't find in all the files from the BSA file... I already found the keys, potions, and gold SE but I can't find the ring SE (again I don't even remember if it's just a generic pickup sound effect) and I can't find the item dropped from inventory either.

I already asked this in the Steam Community Hub for Skyrim and I was told to look into the Immersive Sound Compendium, but even if I had permission to do so, I can't work with it because it crashes my game, as it requires Dawnguard and Dragonborn, I do not have neither of those DLCs. But it did spark another question into my mind... How do I actually create sound effects for other items? I mean, from what I've been told some items don't have a distinctive SE, but the Immersive Sound Compendium not only replaces SEs, but also adds new ones for other items.

Also I have no idea how to repackage the SEs into a BSA file again...

Any help would be appreciated, in the meantime I'll keep searching said SE files, also, I tried googling all this and found nothing....

So yeah, this is actually my first try making a sound mod, I already extracted all the sound effects from the Skyrim Sounds.bsa file and already have the sound effects I want to use as a replacer ready, but I can't find a couple of SE and I'm a little bit confused. So get ready because this is a long post....

I want to change the key sound effects, that includes opening locked chests and doors, and also change the pickup sound effect for it, but I'm condused about the files names.

In fact I'll just put here which SEs I want to replace, if that's ok... I want to change

- Key being picked up

- Key used

- Potion Picked up

- Drinking a potion

- Ring being picked up (does that one even exist in Skyrim or is it just a generic pickup sound?)

- Gold (in general)

- Scroll picked

- Items dropped (removing them from inventory)

- Bow picked up

I may want to change even more SEs in the future but I want to take it slowly as it isn't just my first sound mod, it is the first time I'm actually making a mod for Skyrim...

There are some names that are called itm_key_up and itm_key_down both have two different versions, but what does the up and down mean on their names? I've found a lot of other items that have those "Up" and "Down" in the title, I assume that means that Up means someone directly gives it to you? Like when it says "random door key added" on the upper screen and down means someone takes it from you right? I'm not sure...

There are some SE that I simply can't find in all the files from the BSA file... I already found the keys, potions, and gold SE but I can't find the ring SE (again I don't even remember if it's just a generic pickup sound effect) and I can't find the item dropped from inventory either.

I already asked this in the Steam Community Hub for Skyrim and I was told to look into the Immersive Sound Compendium, but even if I had permission to do so, I can't work with it because it crashes my game, as it requires Dawnguard and Dragonborn, I do not have neither of those DLCs. But it did spark another question into my mind... How do I actually create sound effects for other items? I mean, from what I've been told some items don't have a distinctive SE, but the Immersive Sound Compendium not only replaces SEs, but also adds new ones for other items.

Also I have no idea how to repackage the SEs into a BSA file again...

Any help would be appreciated, in the meantime I'll keep searching said SE files, also, I tried googling all this and found nothing....

Take a look at the current sound mods that cover these, like Immersive Sounds Compendium, and look at their file structure.

First question, do you have the Creation Kit installed currently (it helps for reverse engineering what sound goes to what)?

Typically the up and down refers to when the item is picked up versus when the item is removed. Not entirely sure since I haven't looked at potion sounds, but I believe drinking a potion counts as removing it.

Bethesda loves reusing sound assets for similar items. In order to replace the sounds individually for those items that share sounds, will need to open the Creation Kit to replace the sound (this will become a mod compatibility nightmare though just to warn).

For repackaging the SEs, make sure to do the following:

-Have the sounds in their right location with the Data folder (just like you saw it in the BSA)

-Go to your root Skyrim folder (where you can see Data folder amongst other folders)

-Open a program called Archive.exe

-Click the Sounds checkbox, and any other assets that go with your .esp

-Drag the sound files into the big white space (the files will start showing up, and updates when you add something new to it)

-Once you are finished, go click File

-Then click Save As

-Then you type out your .esp name and add a .bsa instead. Example, for my More Redguards mod, I called it ajd_moreredguards.bsa

-Click save

-Find the bsa where you saved it and add it to your Data folder

-You are now ready to upload to the Steam Workshop (if you are)

-Extra step if uploading to Nexus, place your .esp and .bsa in a .zip before using the File Upload process on Nexus.