Morrowind Graphics Extender

Guest Plugin Manager

Wow. Working one day and not the next. I have been using the latest SVN revision and for some reason now it does not even start.

It all started when I lost the Spell window. I thought maybe an INI was edited so I started up MGEGUI thinking I could look into it, but it wouldn't start...so I've discovered this problem, now, and can't fix it.

So - from an environment that was making the latest revision work perfectly, and now it doesn't. Strange, right? Perhaps a windows patch, perhaps something else may have caused it?

At any rate, This is very saddening. I'm trying different things but a clean reinstall and patch does nothing.

Got MGEGUI to run by overwriting with stable version - but still - what happened to make the latest revision stop?

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea Im in the same boat. I would love to know which older version of MGE you got running? I clean installed GOTY version today with - mge3.8-SVN_rev-0118.

MGE wont even run. I get the windows XP "send info to microsft" msg. Went over the detailed instructions 5 times with a fine tooth comb and even tried a few tricks of my own. Nothing. It just wont load up. I then tried mge3.7.2 from a clean install of MW GOTY. Then I gave up for the rest of the day while I proceeded to successfully install a truckload of mods, but am still pretty upset about MGE. Ive seen the screens and I feel left out. :(

Core2Quad

XP32 SP2

4gb ram

GeForce 9500 GT (1gb)

Dx9.0C, .Net all the way to 3.5, i even tried both the 2005 and the 2008 C++ runtimes since I didnt know which vrelease of MGE I had (liztail or time)

My rig is brand new and has only been running for just over a week. System software and hardware freshhhhhhhh

Any help? im dying.....

Woo Hoo! Im am FIXED.................... and for those of you suffering similar symptoms , try this.

The problem? Direct x 9.0c. After going to microsoft to DL the distrib pack (which I did today even though its part of SP2) you would have to think you are covered for DX. Cmon...... Who are talking about here? Unless you specifically search for a DX9.0c which is "older then april 2006" you are going to fail. Search for "directx_oct2006_redist.exe". This pack contains the required dll files (cant remember which exact file it was sorry (DX3D.dll or similar......)). Worked for me anyways.

How did I find this? By chance. If you download the MGE_3_3_2 installer from THIS site and try to run it you are warned of the exact dll file that is missing for that version of MGE, and that there are several release of DX9.0C available (Would be great to get this info added to the new release docs). Good Ole MS just like to leave redundant stuff on thier website for good measure. As if there wasnt enough bs content from MS already. *cough cough... who said that, and sorry to any affiliates.

After installing the new DX9.0c i ignored the mge332 pack and reinstalled the 3.8SVN release - BANG! WHAM! EXCITEMENT!

Still cant load the game without removing the d3d8.dll and dinput8.dll files first, but its easy enough to set up MGE and then remove the 2x interfering dlls to a nice new folder where I can reach for them when I want to do any further MGE tweaking.

Once again let me share with you my love for MS. I had 9.0c, I got a new 9.0c and then I needed to get a new 9.0c. I hope this works for any other suffering MS customers.

P.S If you havent already, please download your free copy of Firefox. Now enough of my rant..... ive exploring to do.

ok i used the installer and it installed, ok thats fine but when i click on it nothing happens, the creen will not open but the programe will show up in the "processes" section of task manager. any help?

Core 2 duo

nvidea 9600

tones of other stuff

fully upgraded

GOTY version

Xp service pack 3

not a single mod

fresh install

Works fine under Windows 7. Lots of information so far if something isn't working.

Something I'm wondering about is the occasional crash due to memory leak - I'd sometimes get this choppy sound, crackling a little bit, more and more and more until the computer just crawls. I have 6 gigs of ram. Not sure if it's the way Directsound is working when creating buffers for channels, but it's very annoying and requires a reset for it to go away in order to restart the game without it happening.

I really like the latest revision compared to the last stable - seems much better and safer, that is, if it'd be more consistent for users. As they say - it's a complex program in a complex environment.

Oh, another thing I see - sometimes I see a line of distortion across one horizontal part of the screen while playing. It happens for a second or two and eventually goes away, but it's a very consistent kind of distortion.

Anyways - for those of you that this isn't working for - please don't give up easily - this thing really breathes life into the game, and opens up your eyes to a lot of features of the game just by being able to see what's next-door to something.

• 2 weeks later...
Does not work under Windows 7.

Yes it does. There are numerous people that are running windows freaking 7 and it runs fine. I'm one of them.

Have you done ANY troubleshooting? Have you made any effort to do anything about it other than post a single sentence on the forum about how it doesn't work? What are we supposed to take away from your post?