Morrowind Graphics Extender

Guest Plugin Manager

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I can't use the MGE's Distant Land. Every time I try to use it Morrowind crashes upon startup and gives me a warning box that states "Water Ripple art assets to not match .ini settings. Continue running executable?" Whether I say yes or no it still crashes the game. Help?

I wish there was a good tutorial on how to use MGE instead of "Here's the shovel, pick and wheelbarrow, you figure it out." What would be useful if MGE had an automatic generate option based on the hardware and software on your system.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/morrgraphext/index.php?title=TOC

I wish there was a good tutorial on how to use MGE instead of "Here's the shovel, pick and wheelbarrow, you figure it out." What would be useful if MGE had an automatic generate option based on the hardware and software on your system.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/morrgraphext/index.php?title=TOC

That's a good link for roughly getting into MGE and its functions.

But I've found myself constantly playing around with the shader config since i'm using MGE...

There definitely are some oddities that can scare you away from experimenting.

To provide an example, these are the shaders i currently use, in that order:

sunshaft_v003cloud

__HDRbloom

knx_SSAO_v09

knx_DOF_v12_pk

When i first used the sunshaft-shader, i had it instantly working correctly (i.e. reacting to clouds).

By then, i was using a differnt bloom-shader that seemed to interfere with the SSAO - or so i thought.

I then found out that I had to load the SSAO BEFORE the DoF,

otherwise i had strange fragments where both should have appeared together (the SSAO-effect was not "DoF-ed" and appeared as solid black spots instead)...

Now that i got that to work, the sunshafts won't react to clouds any longer, and it seems to CTD more frequently :confused:

To cut a long story short,

would it be possible if some of you who have made similar experiences

point out some tips regarding the load-order of shaders?

Some "do's-and-dont's" would be quite helpful,

though i know it's hard to give any advice considering everyone has different hardware...

BTW, nice thread you got there, Povuholo :happy:

Good to see it's open to the public now!

According to the latest MGE thread on the Bethesda forums (always a good source) this is the best shader load order:

Recommended shader order (for any combination of these shader types):

HDR, SSAO, Depth of Field, Sun Rays, Bloom

Reason:

* HDR adjusts the color balance and contrast. For the other shaders to apply properly, they need to take this into account.

* SSAO adds shadows to the scene. It needs to be affected by DoF and bloom. It is after HDR only because the HDR value would not take the new shadows into account.

* Depth of Field (DoF) comes next, because it blurs the scene. It needs to have the balanced, shadow-added scene to blur, but otherwise needs a raw scene.

* Sun Rays is here because it needs the balanced and possibly blurred scene to draw the rays over, but it needs to be affected by bloom.

* Bloom comes last because it needs to effect both the DoF blur (lights can look different when bloomed before/after DoF) and the sun rays.

As for shaders that combine both HDR and Bloom, I don't know. I put them last.

According to the latest MGE thread on the Bethesda forums (always a good source) this is the best shader load order:

Recommended shader order (for any combination of these shader types):

HDR, SSAO, Depth of Field, Sun Rays, Bloom

Reason:

* HDR adjusts the color balance and contrast. For the other shaders to apply properly, they need to take this into account.

* SSAO adds shadows to the scene. It needs to be affected by DoF and bloom. It is after HDR only because the HDR value would not take the new shadows into account.

* Depth of Field (DoF) comes next, because it blurs the scene. It needs to have the balanced, shadow-added scene to blur, but otherwise needs a raw scene.

* Sun Rays is here because it needs the balanced and possibly blurred scene to draw the rays over, but it needs to be affected by bloom.

* Bloom comes last because it needs to effect both the DoF blur (lights can look different when bloomed before/after DoF) and the sun rays.

As for shaders that combine both HDR and Bloom, I don't know. I put them last.

Thank you for the quick reply,

it really helped and i almost feel a little dumb for not having found that on my own :pinch:

This is some pretty viable info, i had some other configs crammed together that didn't do no good.

Finally i can use the SSAO properly, even in exteriors (though i read you shouldn't, because of the alpha-maps of the plants could cause conflicts)...

Well it works fine for me, and despite the noticeable drop in fps it looks a whole lot "deeper".

So, thanks again, you've been extremely helpful! :thumbsup:

May your answers to my noobish questions help others to enjoy "Morrowind 2010"

BTW... I nearly lost it when i saw Solstheim after all the mods i installed!

Damn, it's amazing what the community did/does to my favourite game :woot:

Nice! Vurt's mods are awesome. They'll definitely have a place in the upcoming graphics section of my list.

Nice! Vurt's mods are awesome. They'll definitely have a place in the upcoming graphics section of my list.

Damn right that's nice, and that's at "only" a visual range of 3 of distant Land (You were totally right, preserves the original feeling and suffices visually without kiling my framerate :biggrin: )

and without any other (visual) mods than Vurt's.

Like i said, i was astonished when i got there...

I remember Vanilla-Solstheim being rather... "Dull", with the five trees strewn all over the island and no mentionable brushes :P

And now... Hot damn, sadly my character is too weak to plunge into this nordic madness by now :huh:

But not for long...

:cool: