Combining FO3 and FO:NV

Iv000

Just a thought i had...

I think that it would be possible...look at the mod morroblivion they did the same, and Fo3 And NV run on the same engine!

I think that it is rather possible, if not the WHOLE game than the map?

My (rather simple and maybe stupid ) thought:

Copy Fo3 esm (and esp's) and data folder to Fo:NV directory create a .esp/m that merges them(or vice versa) (in some way like adding a door that leads to the Mojave Wasteland) and viola you have 2 in 1!

What do you think?

Good / bad

Possible / not

It's possible, if you know what you doing. Just merging them together doesn't work. You have to take care about a lot of things. I already made some kind of a New Vegas ready Fallout3 masterfile and I will proberbly reintroduce some Fallout3 locations into new vegas by time. But creating this esm was quite complicated. At now, this esm is capable to port landscapes, interiors, armors and weapons, but no quests and such stuff. However, I am personally not much interested in a fallout3 port. This esm I created for other purpose, but maybe someone else will. But as said, you need a lot of experiance and knowledge about the engine amd the game to accomblish such a thing

And no, it's not illegal, if you do it right. Morrooblivion isn't illegal too. Only Bethesda doesn't like it, but who bother what they like or not? If you not including any assets of the game in a download, it's not illegal.

Which is bizarre, because half the downloads on nexus give away some resources, and Bethesda doesn't seem to care.

I totally agree with you. Once I asked, if I could upload an oblivion mod for fallout3, that holds a lot of tweaked original meshes in it's download... but it wasn't allowed. Even thou, it's allowed download the same mod on tes4nexus while the same download with same content on fallout3nexus is forbidden. What seem to me a bit of false morale.

The same problem will occur for FNV even more intense, because FNV not even uses a different nif version I guess, so meshes from F3 would work in FNV without any converting. What actually means, that mods, that include F3 content in a F3 Mod are allowed, but as soon as you upload them on FNVNexus its forbidden, even if you wouldn't change anything on it. Lets say a plain recolored f3 mesh. Like MMM Supermutants and so on.

Thats nexus rules, so nothing anyone could do against it, but I can't completely agree with it. Not that my voice counts in any means... :confused: Also, bethesda really can't give attention to every single mod, so it's doubtful if they really care about such things as long as not the entire game is converted like it was done with morroblivion.

So, in legal terms it's still a greyzone in my opinion, but nexus has their own rules about that and are pretty clear here :happy:

Think they'd agree to it if you found some way to make someone prove that they had Fallout 3 as well as NV? Like a registration code or something? That way, Bethsoft's fears of losing money due to people just getting NV and some F3 files and getting to play F3 would be eased?

Think they'd agree to it if you found some way to make someone prove that they had Fallout 3 as well as NV? Like a registration code or something? That way, Bethsoft's fears of losing money due to people just getting NV and some F3 files and getting to play F3 would be eased?

This is in fact so for morroblivion, because nobody get morroblivion to run without having morrowind installed. But still bethesda is against it. What really is kinda silly. Until this day, morroblivion is barely useful and its by far more exiting just to play morrowind itself. There is really no point in converting a entire game instead of just playing the original game. See for example Stalker. The resources are allowed for porting, so I wonder where all those Stalker Conversions are. Yes, there are some creatures and weapons, that most people not even use. But why no Stalker Total Conversion yet? Because it's pointless. This rules are mostly only a handicap for modders with no true downside for the company.

The topic has been beat to death several times on these forums, and people still don't get it.

Bethsoft does not own all of the assets for either game.

Many game assets were contracted out to 3rd party companies

They have a Legal binding contract with the real owners of these assets on how they can be used.

That contract states that the assets are licensed for use in ONE particular game, and that game only.

If they were to allow those assets to be used in a mod for a different game then BethSoft is in violation of a contract and can be sued.

If they do not make some effort to prevent this then BethSoft can be sued.

Neither Beth or the other company can change this contract without the other one agreeing - and that would involve paying the lawyers a lot of money to rewrite the contract - Not going to happen.

Bethsoft has requested sites that support mods for their games NOT support Morrowblivion or other mods that combine assets from different games for this reason.

So don't blame BethSoft, blame the lawyers and the third party programmers who would like to be paid for their work. (programmers have to eat too) Bethsoft is just trying to avoid being sued and putting themselves into a position where they will alienate those third party companies because they would like to use them for their new projects too. And the new contracts for FO3-LV will probably have the same clause. Even if it does not, Oblivion still has it so we will have to work with it.

As to other sites allowing these kind of mods. They are putting themselves into jeopardy of being shut down or sued just to please a few modders who purposely ignore the user agreement that comes with the construction set. If there are too many violations of the construction set user agreement then Bethsoft will be forced to discontinue giving away an SDK with their new games.

You are allowed to make your own assets that look like the originals - just don't try to pass off a ripped mesh as your own work. We have banned people for that (yes we have ways to check on that)

Bben46, Moderator