Flashlight or Rifle Mounted Light

Sifesboran

I have only just recently started with the GECK and have not yet become proficient enought to know if this is even possible but how about creating a flashlight. For melee fighting people there could be something like one of the larger sized Mag-lights that is held up so that you can see in front of you but clicking the attack button would cause you to swing your arm down and bring the butt end of the flashlight crashing down. And for ranged combatants there could be a rifle/pistol mounted flashlight.

If it is not possible to create a light that mounts onto an existing gun then how about creating an assault rifle/submachine gun/pistol with a light mounted on the bottom of it. There are some dark corners in Fallout 3 and it can sometimes be tricky to spot the goodies hidden amongst the useless clutter.

If they can attach a LAM, there's no reason we can't attach a maglite.

I haven't seen any mods that add functional laser sights, as in casting an actual red dot of light onto a distant surface. All the ones I've seen more or less "fake it" using one or more solid meshes with special alpha properties, translucent textures, and such applied. The beam seems to glow from the player's perspective, but they don't actually cast any light in the game world. From what I've heard, the reason for this is the same reason the game doesn't have flashlights; the Fallout 3 engine lacks the functionality to handle these kinds of lights (though other instances of the Gamebryo engine do have these features.)

My understanding is the flashlight of the Directional PipBoy Light mod (linked upthread) is hacked together in some way. I use it (the Lite version,) and there is a performance hit from doing so. However, I haven't experienced the problems other people have with the light beam setting off mines and traps. The Book of Earache mod has weapons with attached lights of some kind, according to the description at least. Having not yet used that mod, I'm not sure how they work. Probably much like the laser sights do.