Reward for lost dog!

dweldy

Has anyone else had the blacksmith's dog to dissapear? I've searched everywhere from Chorrol to the border and didn't find him either dead or alive. The only mod I installed involving a dog was the Vilja companion. I don't think it would cause a problem. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. I really liked that dog hanging around.

Also, I've noticed some weird things with dogs and wolves. Sometimes other creatures, but mostly those. When in combat, they occasionally end up inside rocks and boulders. Not sure why or how, but it happens. It's possible he got stuck outside the boundaries of where he should be. I recommend using the placeatme command to make another one.

Poor thing may have fallen through the floor!

Try PMing the original modder to see if you can get the ref/id for the Dog then use PlaceAtMe to replace the missing mutt.

Instead of 'placeatme', try 'moveto player'. If the dog didn't get removed/killed, it will move it right to you. It may even land on your head!

If the dog has been removed/killed, you'll need to use 'resurrect' and/or 'enable' to bring him back.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know what the game does when the dog dies, but this might be relevant to this problem in some way. I saw the dog die once. He just keeled over for no apparent reason right outside the smith's shack, and he was definitely dead because I could access his inventory (nothing there, of course), just like any dead critter. This was right after entering the courtyard and even before I got off my horse, by the way. I always save my game before entering a new area, so I reloaded it and went in again, and the dog was just fine. If the game removes him after death (not all corpses are removed when a cell resets) then you'll find no body to warn you that he succumbed to what I dubbed SCES ("Spontaneous Canine Expiration Syndrome") to describe this phenomenon.