One-shot by spells, but melee does barely anything?

Pumpkinbot

So, I'm in Xedilian at level 6. Female Argonian, Apprentice birthsign (modded, I'll get to that), that's a sort of clothie spellsword. Destruction, Mysticism, Alteration, Blade, Sneak, Athletics, and Acrobatics...with a few Restoration spells just in case I'm in danger of dying.

I downloaded Birthsigns Reimagined, but I altered it a bit for personal use. The Apprentice gives a 100 magicka bonus, at the cost of a 50% weakness to magic, along with a lesser and greater power that's not particularly relevant.

Despite wearing no armor, melee attacks seem to do barely anything to me. My difficulty's been fluctuating between 50% and 66%, and there -is- an increase, with them finally actually doing some decent damage around 60%.

But spellcasters, at even 50%, can always two-shot me. Yes, I'm an Apprentice, but even despite that 50% magicka weakness, they'd still be able to kill me in just a couple of hits, while the melee-ing grummites do next to nothing.

I want both me and the enemies to have a fighting chance and not go down in just a few hits, but at the same time, I don't want me or the enemies to become a wall that requires eighty arrows to the knee face to go down.

Here is my load order. L.A.M.E. doesn't have an ini, unfortunately. I've been enjoying it, but I'm really hoping this isn't the source of the problems. If everyone else is saying L.A.M.E. increases magic damage by a butt-ton, I can open it up in the Construction Kit and do a bit of jiggery-pokery, if I need to.

EDIT: Come to think of it, my own melee attacks are feeling a bit weak, but my Hailstone spell I've been using seems to be working pretty good, even against those grummites. (Don't they resist frost?) When I sneak attack them with a grummite dagger, it does maybe a quarter to a third of their health. Non-sneaking power attacks do maybe 1/15th to 1/10th. My frost spells, meanwhile, do nearly twice the damage.

Edited by Pumpkinbot

I don't see anything strange in your load order.

Do your character has any Shield, Fire shield, etc ..., effect? "Resist normal weapon" effect?

Or maybe you have an high "Weakness to Magicka"?

You can see them in the Magic -> Active effects menu

And what's your armor rating? (this one appear in the Inventory menu)

Magic in Oblivion is not very powerful, and L.A.M.E. does indeed boost the magic damage a bit, but not that much (but still it makes magic a good choice).

I use L.A.M.E. too and I think magic is well balanced

I don't see anything strange in your load order.

Do your character has any Shield, Fire shield, etc ..., effect? "Resist normal weapon" effect?

Or maybe you have an high "Weakness to Magicka"?

You can see them in the Magic -> Active effects menu

And what's your armor rating? (this one appear in the Inventory menu)

Magic in Oblivion is not very powerful, and L.A.M.E. does indeed boost the magic damage a bit, but not that much (but still it makes magic a good choice).

I use L.A.M.E. too and I think magic is well balanced

Come to think of it, I do try to regularly keep up a Frost Shield spell I have. I think it's only 15%, and that's the only armor I have at all, I'm in complete cloth. My weakness to magicka just says 25% from my Apprentice sign, not enough to make me get two-shot by mobs.

Though I think that Frost Shield spell kept falling off while I was fighting, it doesn't last terribly long. I'll check again next time I load that file up. Thanks again! (And thanks for answering my other two threads! ^-^)