Mod Request

wmdvanzyl

I've looked around and found lots of book retexturing mods and also skill book mods, but i started thinking about all those burned out books as i was walking through Arlington Library. Can someone make a mod that takes a certain amount of burned books and deilvers usable pre-war or skill books? I was thinking about something like Craft where you can Straighten Bent Tin Cans. If you can combine 2 or 3 Burned/Destroyed Books and some Wonderglue and Purified Water and Maybe even Ink (more of that Quest Item?), then a usable Book could be the result. Perhaps a percentage chance of what kind of book, with pre-war being like 50% and smaller percentages for the skill books.

What do you think?

I like it.

How about you take books to a workbench and can turn them into a number of "Book pages". Then once you have enough you can turn the pages into a book (at a work bench) depending on number (and other reagents, ie wonderglue + water), ie, random 1-5 pages per book, 100 pages for a prewar book, 200 for a skill book (each with random chance, or could base the chance on skills), 400 for a schematic blueprint? Or mabey if you have a v1-2 schematic, 200 pages + the schematic to upgrade it a level?

At any rate, I like the idea. I don't have the time tonight, but should beable to write it up tomorow if no-one else has.

I like your take on it. I would have loved to have written this myself and a while ago i tried getting into the modding thing, but it is too time consuming at present. Learning curves are just discouraging. :-(

In any case, i am looking forward to what you churn out! :-D The only suggestion i have is perhaps to make that gap a little smaller. 1-5 pages per book and 100 pages for a pre-war book means that i will have to do repeat the process for a minimum of 20 and or a maximum of 100 times to get 1 pre-ware book. It is a little demanding, considering the reward. Other than the ratio, it all sounds great!

Yeah, I mighta made it a bit too large, 2 sec job to change it though. I didn't check the vanilla value of books and was just suggesting something which wouldn't be overpowered, considering there are no end of destroyed/burnt books.

<br><br>The one point I'm not too sure about is attaching these scripts to the workbench. There are already so many mods out there which augment the abilities of the workbench, and none are compatible unless made so. I think I'll create a "Book Restoration Kit" mics item which will pop the menus up when activated (and hide it somewhere in the library). It makes sense that a library would house supplies like that. If you get really ambitious, make up a quest line to assemble the kit and I could probably implement that at some stage.<br><br>Final note: FOSE or not? I was intending to make it FOSE dependant simply because some of the functions make things much smoother and easier to extend.<br>Making up a simple non-FOSE version shouldn't be a problem though.<br>

Probably, but enough people use the workbench anyway. By converting them into pages, it lets you build up a stockpile without all the extra carry weight (I've made the pages have 0 weight), or losing them if you use the rockit launcher.

It also allows a degree of randomness in the number of books it takes to create a new book, which if you think about it makes enough sense to be worth it.

At any rate, that's the way I see it. Each to their own.

Since this is the latest post anyway, I'm sure bumping it can be excused... The post editor kills any formatting I try and put in...

Ok, update: I'm leaving the page numbers as stated before, but I've changed the chance on book pages to 5-10 pages per small book, 5-20 per large book. This is going to be overpowered, since one quick trip to the library could net you every v3 schematic at lvl1 as well as a million and a half skill books, I'm not going to implement schematic creation for this reason, just schematic upgrading at 500 pages. Skill book chance may be aligned with your skill levels at a later date, but for the first release I'll just give them all the same chance.

Non FOSE, I'm getting sick, trying to setup loops was making my head spin.

The Book Restoration Kit is used to extract and restore intact pages from otherwise unreadable books. Once enough suitable pages have been obtained, this kit allows the user to compile the pages into a brand new book using Wonder Glue and purified water.

Small books will only contain 5-10 useful pages whereas larger book can contain as many as 20. The Pre-War classics and similar books are to valuable to be dismantled.

100 suitable pages are needed to construct a Pre-War Book.

200 suitable pages and you can construct a book to help boost your wasteland survival skills.

500 suitable pages leaves you well informed on the subject of weapons making, allowing you to upgrade Schematics.

Perfect timing, just finished a beta version.

It's just the compressed esp, so you know what to do with. I haven't placed anything into the game world yet, this is just to test the script. The ID for the restoration kit is xx00154F (xx being the FOMM assigned load number, or place in the load order if not using FOMM). baffa-bb000 are the schematic v1 codes, haven't tested them all but they're all copy and pasted (except the rockit launcher, which seems to have 3 upgrades for some reason, opposed to 2 for everything else). a9e6e is the code for a large book, 2210a for glue and 151a3 for water.

Use the console to spawn a kit in your inventory, then drop it (Its a lunchbox at the moment). Unfortunately, I can't get the menus to pop up while it is in you inventory without making it a consumable, so just drop it, then activate it. There's a menu option to pick it up.

It will need some balancing, just one room in the library and you come away with a few thousand pages. Maybe the water should be consumed when dismantling books and glue consumed when assembling?

EDIT: Ok, new version (no-one downloaded the old one anyway), the schematics upgrade section had so many errors in it I effectively rewrote it from scratch: Combination of a headache, lack of sleep and copy-and-paste special. Works now.

I've created a public nexus page for the mod for the sake of getting feedback, located here

Based on feedback from the nexus page:<br><br>For the next version I'll lump skill books and pre-war books together, with the particular book being part random (25% for a pre-war, 75% split between the skill books, chance (hopefully) being inversely proportional to the skill level. You will still be able to upgrade schematics separately.<br><br>The randomness in page reclamation will be reduced dramatically with the major factor being intell and perception. Creating a book will consume a semi random amount of pages from the previous max, with the # lowering with increasing intell.<br><br>Consuming existing Pre-War books to increase the chance of a skill book was suggested as well. It's a good idea, but I think I'll leave it out for now unless enough people ask for it.<br><br>EDIT: Ok, I've been putting off some uni work I have to do for a bit too long... I'm not going to be doing any work on coding the next version for a few days. I'll keep checking the forums and gathering/expanding ideas for it though.<br>