Total War game series

KDStudios

For me the total war series completely died from Empire: total war and onward.

Rome: Total war was one of the best strategy games I have ever played. And still do!

It's just great.

I enjoyed every single one, the way that one mistake could mean that your entire army could flee.

Naturally I played with all the settings on highest and Army sizes to huge =P

The battles I had were absolutely amazing.

So yeah, what are your fond memories of total war with the known world?

I enjoyed crushing larger forces. It was fun trying to use the smallest force possible to win the battle and take over a city. I always utilized 2 cavalry for flanking maneuvers...one of them usually being a high-ranking commander. For a city siege, I would only use one catapult...it may take a while to bust a hole as big as I wanted but it was all I needed.

Even when surprised by overwhelming enemy forces, it was always fun to look at each scenario as a possible win situation and trying to make it happen.

LHammonds

Funniest battle I ever had was one roman squad of 82 Urban soldiers against 3000 Barbarians in their fort.

I only lost 6 guys in the slaughter =P

But yeah I only ever used 1 catapult too, having more was just a wasted opportunity, especially in Medieval2 where you actually need more soldiers as they die that easily =P

I found on Rome that I only ever needed two of soldiers, two of archers and 1 of cavalry and just camped in the corner and that could literally beat ANY sized army at all. Those 380 men beat an army of 6000 with the loss of about 30 =P I just used the cavalry to mop up the routers =) As my flanks were secure there really was no weakness besides an army of ballistas with about 500 men to hold my army in place, then I kinda lose a lot more men overall.

On Medieval 2 however I found that a simple balance of 6 troops of knights, 6 of archers and 3 of cavalry were all I ever needed, cavalry cover the flanks and archers stand behind soldiers, I only ever needed reinforcements when going against the hordes... Damn they are so numerous!

I still play Medieval 2 from time to time. I also somehow felt that the series sort of went downhill from Empire onwards mainly because I missed the old interface, walled cities (screw fortresses ((though it may not be historically correct for there to be walled cities in the 18th century, I don't know, whatever)) and the soundtrack was way better in my opinion.