How to dismember corpses in GECK?

Anubis4545

I would think that since it is so simple in-game to dismember corpses, there would have course be an option in the NPC options to remove the head, leg, or arm of an NPC and be able to move it around in GECK. So far I have seen no such option, and from all the searching I have done on a few forums, and Google, nobody has even inquired if such an option was available. I am beginning to think it isn't possible, which is really a shame, becuase it'd really help decorate in a mod I am making.

So my question is this... Is there any option to dismember NPC corpses in GECK? Or maybe make the corpse into a "bloody mess" like the perk ingame allows you too?

If anyone can give me some input, or even an answer, I'd really appreciate it. :]

I used a messy way to dismember static corpses for a mod.

Place a unique NPC in a location where you want their remains to be found. Make sure that they have no AI Packages, set their health to zero and run havoc on them so that they fall to the ground in a way that you find decorative, and give them an object script similar to this:

scn HeadPoppinDeathDismemberScript

short doOnce
ref thisRef

Begin OnLoad

if doOnce == 0
	set thisRef to getSelf
	killActor thisRef 1

set doOnce to 1
endif

End

This causes their head to pop off on load, so it is more believable if you make sure that the NPC loads out of view and earshot of the player if you want it to appear as if the player is coming onto a scene of existing carnage.

The KillActor thisRef 1 bit is the part that makes the head go, I believe. You might be able to experiment for the other body parts. Something like KillActor thisRef 1 1 1 1 1 might blow off all the limbs, or 1 1 0 0 1 might leave some parts on.

PS the codebox looks much better once again. Kudos on that Admin.

I used a messy way to dismember static corpses for a mod.

Place a unique NPC in a location where you want their remains to be found. Make sure that they have no AI Packages, set their health to zero and run havoc on them so that they fall to the ground in a way that you find decorative, and give them an object script similar to this:

scn HeadPoppinDeathDismemberScript

short doOnce
ref thisRef

Begin OnLoad

if doOnce == 0
	set thisRef to getSelf
	killActor thisRef 1

set doOnce to 1
endif

End

This causes their head to pop off on load, so it is more believable if you make sure that the NPC loads out of view and earshot of the player if you want it to appear as if the player is coming onto a scene of existing carnage.

The KillActor thisRef 1 bit is the part that makes the head go, I believe. You might be able to experiment for the other body parts. Something like KillActor thisRef 1 1 1 1 1 might blow off all the limbs, or 1 1 0 0 1 might leave some parts on.

PS the codebox looks much better once again. Kudos on that Admin.

This looks like it will work. Thanks very much for the help! I am really surprised Bethesda didn't add an option for this. Thanks again. :]]

Tubal, I did check the GECK Wiki, which was a waste of time mostly, since looking up how to dismember corpses, gives me nothing even close to what I was looking for. Sorry if my question annoyed you.

Tubal, I did check the GECK Wiki, which was a waste of time mostly, since looking up how to dismember corpses, gives me nothing even close to what I was looking for. Sorry if my question annoyed you.

Tubal was referring to the speculation above about how the KillActor function works, when it would only take looking at the wiki page for that function to know the details: KillActor

Yes he explained it very well, up to this point:

A brief look at the aforementioned wiki page explains the syntax and usage of the function completely (somewhat different that what was guessed at here), so there's no need to experiment. As I tried to point out above, I'm sure Tubal's response was directed only at this. I assume that since he didn't actually link directly to the KillActor page, the OP took him to mean that his entire question could be answered somewhere on the wiki.

BadPenny generally knows his stuff, so I'll chalk that up as just being tired or something when he replied...

BadPenny generally knows his stuff, so I'll chalk that up as just being tired or something when he replied...

I haven't actively modded for Fallout 3 for about a year and the information stored in my withered brain is always suspect anyway. As the Ministry of Misinformation moniker disclaims, all of my posts are suspect for accuracy. I knew the head popping part worked, thought that the rest might, was too lazy to actually look up the details and reckoned that a partially correct answer was better than letting the post slip to the back of the stack without a word. The truth is out there, and someone with enough interest will find it.

But yes, the tone set in a post can make a helpful comment seem scathing. It is easy to misinterpret one's intent. But seriously, if you know of an entry in a wiki that explains in detail a process being discussed, please go ahead and link to it or quote from it. Sometimes the location of useful information is counter-intuitive, and quite often I found nothing at all of use in the wiki while trying to accomplish something while modding, so I can understand the tendency to dismiss it. And from a different perspective: Instead of just looking stuff up, guessing can gain you unique and interesting facets to your mod, while using the wiki only lets you rehash someone elses answers. Workable perhaps, but also formulaic. There's always two sides to a point of view. Which one is better can vary depending on circumstances. Not that I'm trying to excuse my errors, that's just sloth.

If the OP found something of use then it's all good, as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't replied here because I mostly check this forum at work, since the bethsoft forums are blocked by a filter. ;)

Yes, I meant "Check the KillActor page on the wiki". I couldn't link directly since the Geck wiki is also blocked.

I haven't replied here because I mostly check this forum at work, since the bethsoft forums are blocked by a filter. ;)

Yes, I meant "Check the KillActor page on the wiki". I couldn't link directly since the Geck wiki is also blocked.

It is certainly a pain to have clever bosses at times.

Here is a good example why one should not overdub people's posts with imagined tones of voice and facial expressions. A concise but hurried remark can easily be mis-read as a retort.