System Specs

viggtu

I was thinking about getting Inquisition for Christmas but I'm not sure I can run it on a decent graphics setting. I figured this place would be the forum to ask on since most modders have custom pc's like me. Unfortunately my pc is six years old. I have a amd phenom II x4 940 black edition processor, 8 gigs of ram, and an AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card. I know I meet minimum specs but I hate running games on minimum. Anyone out there know what kind of specs I might be able to run?

Yah you'll probably be able to run it but probably at medium settings also game loads

lots of textures its somewhat openworld so your video memory of 2gb or more would be best...Im not a AMD guy never bought AMD but my evga gtx 680 and my I7 is handling it real well I have a higher system but this ones doing fine max on everything

If you got a low end GPU, turn tessellation off. Turn post processing to minimum or off.

This game runs like garbage on my GTX 980 btw. I'm not getting the expected performance. I wasn't expecting to max the game out at 1440p, just really close to it. I have to lower several of the settings down considerably or completely off to get 60fps, and it still tanks down to 35 in spots. Had to turn MSAA completely off. turned tessallation down 1 notch, and also post processing down to medium. Could be a driver issue, or it could be this is another unoptimized garbage console port. Although I haven't experienced any of the crashing issues a lot of people said they were having.

My old rig with a radeon 6970 in it runs this game better than I expected it would. Mid settings with some things turned to high, tessallation set to low (terrible GPU for tessallation), 45-60fps with occasional dips in the 30s, and 1080p resolution. Its also OC'd at 1050 core, stock is 880 core. Used to have 2 of them in crossfire. I could probably almost max the game out at 1080p with 2 of those in crossfire both OC'd to 1050 core. So it seems like GPUs in the mid to low end fair way better than higher end GPUs do.

Edited by Beriallord

<snip>

This game runs like garbage on my GTX 980 btw. I'm not getting the expected performance. I wasn't expecting to max the game out at 1440p, just really close to it. I have to lower several of the settings down considerably or completely off to get 60fps, and it still tanks down to 35 in spots. Had to turn MSAA completely off. turned tessallation down 1 notch, and also post processing down to medium. Could be a driver issue, or it could be this is another unoptimized garbage console port.

<snip>

Interesting. It's running just fine on my GTX770/2GB. The in-game Benchmark reports avg. 55fps (low of 45) at 1920x1080.

I'm using the "optimized" GeForce Experience settings, so almost everything except MSAA at "Ultra" or "High".

Was thinking of getting a 900-series card soon, but maybe I should hold off?

Interesting. It's running just fine on my GTX770/2GB. The in-game Benchmark reports avg. 55fps (low of 45) at 1920x1080.

I'm using the "optimized" GeForce Experience settings, so almost everything except MSAA at "Ultra" or "High".

Was thinking of getting a 900-series card soon, but maybe I should hold off?

It could be that the drivers aren't up to snuff for the 9XX series cards yet. Or it could be that the drivers aren't optimal for this GPU running this game. I'm happy with the performance of my 980, just not on this particular game. I hooked up a 1080p monitor and It does run maximum everything else except for MSAA (off) at 1080p resolution though. Consistent 60fps, with the occasional dip in the 45 range.

Edited by Beriallord

I am running an I7 with a Maximux V ROG board and an EVGA gtx 680 max on everything and I have never seen the game slow down one bit it funs 50-55 frames most of the time. I would think unless you are at a keep there is never really more than what 15 characters on screen moving around at one time? pft that's nothing.....game really runs smooth...I have a higher specced system but haven't needed to run it on that one. Got the game last week and I have had 2 crashes over 60 hours of gameplay that's pretty good.....

If you got a low end GPU, turn tessellation off. Turn post processing to minimum or off.

This game runs like garbage on my GTX 980 btw. I'm not getting the expected performance. I wasn't expecting to max the game out at 1440p, just really close to it. I have to lower several of the settings down considerably or completely off to get 60fps, and it still tanks down to 35 in spots. Had to turn MSAA completely off. turned tessallation down 1 notch, and also post processing down to medium. Could be a driver issue, or it could be this is another unoptimized garbage console port. Although I haven't experienced any of the crashing issues a lot of people said they were having.

My old rig with a radeon 6970 in it runs this game better than I expected it would. Mid settings with some things turned to high, tessallation set to low (terrible GPU for tessallation), 45-60fps with occasional dips in the 30s, and 1080p resolution. Its also OC'd at 1050 core, stock is 880 core. Used to have 2 of them in crossfire. I could probably almost max the game out at 1080p with 2 of those in crossfire both OC'd to 1050 core. So it seems like GPUs in the mid to low end fair way better than higher end GPUs do.

Beriallord, I was just curious what your in game benchmark is giving you for results. With everything maxed, including 4x MSAA, I'm getting an average of 50 fps from the in game benchmark.

In game play is generally fine for me, but I just got the new video card yesterday and was surprised by the benchmark.

Just wanted to follow up on that.

An average of 50fps might sound OK on paper, but in reality that still equates to stuttering in quite a few spots in this game. Even lowering to 1080p resolution, with the game running an average of 59.5fps over the period of 30 minutes, there were lots of spots where the game stuttered for me. I had a really fast FPS tank down to 26fps, which then caused a rebound back up to 64, and this was with Vsynch on. Keep in mind, this happened over the period of about 1 second. Stuff like this happening is the cause of the massive stuttering in spots. The spots where the game stutters, I look at my CPU and GPU monitoring programs, and don't see any spikes in usage, voltage, or anything else that coincide with the time it happened in game. I'm done troubleshooting at this point, and I'm gonna wait and see what the next patch does. Like many other people, I had better performance before the latest patch. Patch 2 is when the weird stuttering issues started happening.

There is a thread on EA forums where lots of other people are talking about having issues with patch 2:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/532511-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-2/page-180

Also, something odd that someone noted about this game:

The game barely wants to use more than 2gb ram (not vram), it's always caching, characters, trees, houses, mountains pop out of the blue.

In inventory changing characters is slow as hell, yet it is loaded from ssd.

I can sorta corroborate what this person is saying. I've noticed how the draw distance in this game seems buggy. I've seen people, trees, grass etc popping in and out of view at remarkably short draw distances comparable to other games. Its like a certain amount of the objects on the screen aren't rendering properly, and are constantly popping in and out of view at seemingly random spots. This could explain the stuttering going on. I'm curious as to why they didn't enable draw distance as a setting you could tweak?

If the game is only wanting to use 2GBs of system ram (roughly) then that explains where the bottleneck is when I couldn't find one in GPU or CPU usage that coincides with these dips. If whatever draw distance issue is going on happens to be overloading the texture cache, then you get stuttering. Some games that are 3-4 years old utilize more system ram than this game does, and this also explains why I was getting stuttering regardless of my GPU settings. Yes, I lowered the settings to low, and still got dips below 60 in spots with a GTX 980 that caused stuttering. That just shouldn't be happening, period.

The same stuttering and buggy draw distance was able to be replicated by me on 2 different PCs. This one with an I5 4670k & GTX 980, and the other one with an I5 2500k @ Radeon 6970 x2 crossfire. Issues with AMD crossfire that cause flickering textures, so I disabled that for this game, but the same odd FPS tanks/spikes happen on 2 different PCs using 2 different GPUs.

Edited by Beriallord