Oblivion Expansion - Nehrim - At fate's edge

RavveN

My initial comment wasn't a request for a link. I already know about this project, which should have been obvious from my first full paragraph, after all. It was, more, an introduction to a lament about why I can't commit to Nehrim right now. Sorry if that mislead you.

My second paragraph is pretty explicit about what Nehrim is and isn't, and I went out of my way in that section of my post to explain that Nehrim is not Oblivion in any shape, manner, or form. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone reading RavveN's post that it uses the Oblivion game engine, though. Let's just hope that Bethesda doesn't jump all over Nehrim like they did with the Morroblivion project, now that its been released. I'd hate to see Nehrim get squashed just as it's starting to pick up some steam, but you never know what antsy lawyers will come up with. To my knowledge, Nehrim doesn't utilize any content that isn't either stock Oblivion or user-created, but the Eula for Oblivion clearly makes it illegal to use any Morrowind content in Oblivion even if you own both games and never release a mod that does. Hopefully, the developers of Nehrim didn't.

I don't know what you're sorry about, RavveN. I have nothing negative to say about Nehrim. From what I've seen and heard on the website, this game is sheer genius.

I do have a question, though. Is it possible for Nehrim to exist side-by-side with Oblivion or does it have to be a complete replacement? It would be awesome if all its files were segregated into one folder or if everything existed as a .bsa, .esm, and .esp so that there would be no data conflicts. If so, it should be easy to create a mod for Oblivion that simply opens a portal to Nehrim. It wouldn't even have to modify Cyrodiil -- just be a spell that, essentially, moves the PC to an appropriate entry point in Nehrim. Even a console command could do that. Other than that, I suppose it's possible to create two separate Data folders and then just manually rename them, depending upon which game you want to play ... a kludge, but it should work.

Still, I'm playing through with things in Cyrodiil right now, so it's going to be a bit before I can play Nehrim. I haven't even visited the Shivering Isles, yet.

1.Make a copy of this folders:

Documents and Settings\Your user folder\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

Documents and Settings\Your user folder\Local Settings\Application Data\Oblivion

Ex:

Games\Oblivion\Documents and Settings\Your user folder\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

Games\Oblivion\Documents and Settings\Your user folder\Local Settings\Application Data\Oblivion

2.Make another 2 folders and copy there to

Ex:

Games\Nehrim\Documents and Settings\Your user folder\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion

Games\Nehrim\Documents and Settings\Your user folder\Local Settings\Application Data\Oblivion

3.When you want to play Oblivion copy the folders from Games\Oblivion to c:\

For Nehrim copy the Nehrim folder.

ALL the time before switching game, copy the point 1. folders in Games\what you played early

Ex:

After playing Nehrim and you want to play Oblivion, copy point 1. folders in Games\Nehrim, after that point 3.

This way you dont lose nothing and dont messup the Oblivion load list.

Hmm ... I'm not sure I followed that entirely. I see what you're doing but this touches only the user account files and not the actual install of Oblivion. On my machine, since I'm using Windows Vista, I have Oblivion installed in c:\Games\Oblivion, rather than to the default location, which causes conflicts with Vista's security features. I'm used to swapping out the entire Data folder to maintain different mod configurations (as well as the user data files), and I figured that's what I'd have to do, here. I don't see where files such as "Oblivion.esm" or "Nehrim.esm", assuming that's how it's named, are being swapped, since those should be in the Oblivion/Data folder, wherever that is on a user's hard drive, depending upon the operating system. It's possible I'm just being dense, though.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a slightly different problem with this, I'm running the steam version of TES4/GOTY Deluxe on a secondary hard drive. Now I have no idea how I'm suppose to install Nehrim under steam to get it working.

• 3 months later...

I have some problems with the installation - the installer won't run. Actually, it activates, but does nothing. Could someone help me a bit?

EDIT: Solved.

Uhm...excuse me. I'm having the EXACT same issue so...HOW DID YOU SOLVE IT?!

The icon appears in my task bar for one second then disappears. I've also got two things in my task manager:

NehrimInstall_1.0.7.5_EN.exe *32 Nehrim - At Fate's Edge Setup

NehrimInstall_1.0.7.5_EN.tmp *32 Setup/Uninstall

So they're in my "Processes" but I can't INTERACT with the installer at all. I tried running the installer as an administrator but that just caused my browser window to freeze up for some reason. I recently reinstalled Oblivion GOTY (not the Steam version btw) just to try out this mod. I've got Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Edit: When you said SOLVED, you should've explained how the installer takes A VERY LONG TIME TO FIRE UP!! >.<

Edited by DJGamer