Save number resets after restarting.

Well I'm stumped ... can't recall hearing of anything like this before. What version of the game are you using (e.g. Steam or GotY disk version)?

What you've described says something in the launcher. I'm a non-Steam type myself, and I know that launching the Steam version is different than the disk versions I'm used to. Have you seen anything like this mentioned in the Steam forums for Oblivion?

On the OBSE co-saves, they are needed for OBSE and must be kept in the same folder as your saves. My gut feeling is that it's not an OBSE related issue but some setting or something in the Steam launcher, but I could be wrong.

An alternative for you is the save command from the Oblivion console. I used it myself to keep one character's saves separate from my old guy's saves, until I started using Multiple Oblivion Manager MOM. The downside with what I call "named saves" is that you need to remember the incremented save number yourself (so if you loaded your named save MyNewGuy117.ess you would need to remember that it was 117 you loaded so that when you console save you'd name the new save MyNewGuy118.ess). I was always opening the Load menu just to see what the next number should be.