Brand new install and crashes at Bethesda intro

afromanexe

Hi all,

i just bought Skyrim (no dlc, just base game) through Steam as it was for sale. So far all i have done is a fresh install through Steam and it will crash everytime during the intro.

I have tried disabling the intro, still crashes

Verifying game cache, still crashes

Updated all drives inc mainboard, gfx and sound, still crashes

Enabled logging and i get the following:

[12/24/2014 - 11:19:40AM] Papyrus log opened (PC)
[12/24/2014 - 11:19:40AM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)
[12/24/2014 - 11:19:40AM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)

Which is nothing to go on, as ive searched the forums and everyone else actually seems to get an error here, so thats a dead end.

My system is as follows:

Win 8.1 64bit

EX58-UD3R mainboard with Intel i7 920

Geforce GTX 570 (dxdiag tells me the memory is 4042 MB) running dual screens

16gb of Ram

SSD drive that it is installed on

Ive also run BOSS but that doesnt seem to give me anything to go on either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! It is a base install with absolutely no mods installed and it crashes everytime at the intro.

Couple of things. Try lowering your audio format to 16 bit (cd quality) under control panel - sound - select sound card - properties - advanced - default format.

Also try playing in window mode, changing resolutions as well as game settings and videocard driver settings.

Edited by Valkyrie

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately i checked my audio settings and found that my audio was already on 16 bit 44khz (CD quality) which didnt work, both before and after updated my audio drivers.

I also have tried windowed mode and different resolutions, game settings on low, medium, high.

Doesnt seem like anything gets me any further into the game.

New install never ran...ummmm

DirectX?..In the Skyrim Folder is a folder for DirectX....run that installer.

VCredist...In that folder is another installer. "vcredist_x86.exe" yes X64 bit os still needs 32 bit software.

Newer OS may not have the older Files installed that the game needs.

Hi again, i resolved my issue by running a windows refresh, which is basically a reinstall of windows but leaves data untouched.

I was able to get into Skyrim successfully.

I'd say the root cause was my windows install may have had some corruptions as i originally came from Windows 7 and completed an anytime upgrade to 8 and then 8.1

All fixed it seems now....