Killing the count of Leyawiin

Lehcar

Most of Cyrodil's nobility isn't so bad; I actually rather like most of them.

I really like the Countess of Anvil; she's such a sweet lady.

Countess of Chorrol I don't really like, but she's alright.

The Countess of Bruma is a really nice lady, but also really tough and independant at the same time, and I can't help but a love a woman like that.

The Count of Skingrad, I absolutely love him. He may be a vampire, but he's also such a kindhearted and sensitive guy. Probably the nicest vamp in the whole game. :turned:

The Count of Bravil is meh. He's a bit of a d**k, but I can tolerate him... usually I forget he even exists.

The Count of Cheydinhal is kind of an @$$, but if you save his son from a certain Oblivion Gate he acts more kindly towards you, and then I can put up with him.

The Count and Countess of Leyawiin however. I absolutely hate them, can't stand them at all. They're bigoted, snobby, racist, and the Countess is obviously inspired by Elizabeth Bathory the way she kills and maims innocent people just because they are of the beast races.

But for some reason when I tried to kill them, they would not die. All that happened was they fell unconcious and got back up again really fast and IMO I don't know why. Why can't I kill them? Is there any way I can get around this so they can be killed?

2 things: First of all, what about the Count of Kvatch? Oh, wait. He died before you could talk to him, LOL. Moving onto the second thing, it's like this. The Count Leyawiin is always essential, but the Countess Leyawiin and her personal bodyguard are essential until you finish the Thieves' Guild quest pertaining to her. Therefore, if you don't want to risk messing up your game, forget the Count and finish the Thieves' Guild quests to kill the Countess. If you want to risk it, I think there's a set essential actors spell somewhere on this site to be downloaded. I had the same issue with the Night Mother when I wanted to give the Dark Brotherhood a "Great Leap Forward" (get that reference). I still do, but it would be weird unless there was an actual quest pertaining to it.

I pretty much agree with you on your assessment of the various counts and countesses, Lehcar, and since I really like Leyawiin (and Bravil and the entire region to the east of them), I would welcome a mod which, somehow, allowed the PC to eliminate both Alessia and Marius Caro and assume the leadership of Leyawiin. This would require some sort of benefit other than just getting to live in the castle, though, and the behavior of many NPCs in the game would have to be altered, including dialog options and rumors to make this work.

Keep in mind that Alessia is essential until after the quest "Ahdarji's Heirloom" (part of the Thieves Guild quest line) is complete because you can't complete that quest if she's dead. After that she can be killed, but she's also vital for the completion of the Daedric shine quest for Sanguine. If you kill her (or if she gets killed on the road during her visits with her mother, the Countess Arriana Valga in Chorrol) you will be unable to complete that quest and will also be unable to qualify for the last Daedric shrine quest for Hermaeus Mora. Installing mods such as "Smarter Bandits" that make travel more dangerous is almost certainly going to bork the Daedric quests because of this unless you take care of Sanguine's quest before or immediately after "Ahdarji's Heirloom".

The count, Marius Caro, is as much of a low-life, at least in my eyes, as his pretty wife. You can't tell me he doesn't know what goes on in those torture chambers, so it's a good bet that he approves. A mod that makes him unessential would be necessary to kill him, though (either that or you could use the console). However, if you intend to buy the house in Leyawiin, he's the one who has to sell it to you, so you'd have to get it first.

Some way to eliminate Alessia and then take over as Countess of Leyawiin would be a nice thing, too -- again, not being satisfied with just "pretending", but actually being the Countess, being referred to in that manner, having some sort of regular income and responsibilities appropriate to the station, and maybe even having the townspeople talk about you, depending upon what you do. I haven't played through "Kvatch Rebuilt", yet, but you have the option of becoming the Count in that mod, so something like this should be possible in Leyawiin with a little (or more likely a lot of) work. The Count is, apparently, happy with a strong woman just telling him what to do, so another possibility would be the mod giving you the option of freeing the prisoners, which should set well with the castle's mage, who happens to be a Khajiit, himself. If you have a male character, you could just bump off both of them and then become Count and achieve the same ends.

Anyway, now you know what a sticky situation it is to just kill any NPC you want to in the game. Many of them are required to advance various quests and unless you've played through those quests, before (or done some "book research" on them), you really can't tell which ones of the unessential NPCs will be needed later on.

Oooh! Glorious poetic justice! I didn't even know about this place, but I just finished the download. I'm definitely going to look at this one, even though I'm really not into new house mods. I may just have to rethink my next character a bit to justify such a kidnapping. I think, though, that I'd still rather have a way to kill off the Count and Countess. Then, maybe, resurrect the Countess once I'm the Count or Countess, myself, and throw her in her own dungeon to rot away like she does to Kajiiti, Argonians, and Dunmer. No, I've never played any of those races, yet. I just happen to like kitties and don't like to see them abused.

Thanks for the idea. It's logic like this that makes me wish I played truly evil characters more often.

You can't kill them because they are marked as "essential". That said they cannot be killed, but it's a matter of 2 clicks in Construction set to make them killable.

If you'd like that you can contact me and I will make this kind of a "fix" for you.

But yeah, the torturing option is much, much better than just killing them :)

What ub3rman123 said, Chappi55. It would be trivial to do this, yes. The problem is that there are a lot of such trivial "fixes" out there, like removing the border restrictions, that are implemented as mods, thereby causing mod-bloat, which eventually leads to instability issues in the game like CTDs and corrupted game saves. While non-PC users might find such a mod useful, those of us with access to the console are more likely to appreciate being able to do this without adding yet another mod to what, for many of us, is already an unwieldy list of them. Such mods should always include instructions for using the console to accomplish the same thing. Yes, I know. Supposedly if you're using mods you're on a PC and have access to the console, anyway, so why am I saying this. It's a little known fact (among snobbish PC users -- yes, I use a PC) that it's only possible to use mods on a PC. That's not the case, although you have to jump through hoops if you don't have one.

If you do make and release such a mod, though, you should include with it a list of the quests/services that will be broken if you kill either the Count or the Countess. Some inexperienced players will jump all over a mod like this one. ("Oh, lookie! Someone else I can kill!") And then they'll be lamenting later on the game that they can't complete a quest, or buy the house, because they removed the only people in the game that could further those interests.

Also, it's not quite accurate to say that the Countess is essential as if this were a Fact of Nature. As has been pointed out, above, she starts the game as essential but is then degraded to non-essential after completion of the "Ahdarji's Heirloom" quest. If all you want to do is kill the Countess and not the Count and you've advanced the Thieves Guild quest line past that point, there would be no point in installing the mod.

I can think of a way to do this using a script, although I'm not clever enough with scripting, yet, to actually implement it. The downside, though, is that the script will have to run continuously unless you get really clever and tie it to a custom quest (e.g. "Kill The Countess") so it only runs when you activate that quest, perhaps by equipping a token item of some sort, or just activating it from the console. At that point it would still have to run constantly until you finish that quest. Scripts that run continuously are subject to bugs and also bog down the game if you have too many of them running at once. Unfortunately, a LOT of modders put just such scripts into their mods.

The best thing to do is just a little research and legwork. The Countess follows a pretty regular schedule. Watch her and determine what it is, just like any good little thief or assassin should be doing, anyway.