am i doing something wrong(imoral and / or illeagle?

gormonk

I'm not 100% sure (I haven't fully read the EULA in about 4 years) but I believe that you are allowed to make a second copy of your game disk, provided that:

1) You do not profit from it in any way

2) You don't make the disk image available online for download (This one may not be as viable in this day and age, I'm not too sure) [better safe than sorry!] :biggrin:

and..

3) You have previously bought the 100% legit retail copy of the game (This one obviously doesn't apply here, but I thought I'd provide all stipulations with making copies of CDs, DVDs, or BluRays. (Not too positive that I spelled that right)

Hope this answers your question!

Edited by KaotikKreator

Well, IIRC, most EULAs allow for us to make a personal backup of legally bought games. As long as the backup stays personal, you should be perfectly fine. :)

AU and NZ share the same rules I believe. If so, you can have one digital backup of a legitimately purchased game, DVD or CD, but you cannot redistribute it in any way (this includes giving friends the external drive so they can use them) and you must destroy the backup when you are done with it.

The destroy part only comes into things when you have no intention of ever playing the game again.

As for the question, yes, in most cases you are allowed to create a copy of a game you own, for your own uses... This also includes burning it to a disc instead of using just a .iso file so that you don't need to use other software to get around disc checks.

However, newer games are starting to severely limit this sort of thing by means of DRM software that prevents copying of the disc or even drive operation if it also has the ability to burn data. This is one of the reasons why Securom was so severely disliked.