List of various questions - Need help. AI, Script, Radio etc.

ObLars

Hey, im creating a mod for personal use, first of all. At the moment its just a dirty weapon store. Anyway. I need help with a few things. :)

Conversation, i need help with my two NPC's dialogue's. I got them drinking some whiskey in this corner, with some chairs, one of them is the Store Vendor, the other one is the security guard. :) I encountered a problem though. There is a table between them, and they wont talk to eachother, while sitting. Is there a Quest request, maybe a special dialogue? One of them is using a Sandbox Package, while the other one is using a Guard package. How should i go about making them talk to eachother in random conversation?

How would i go about getting one of my NPC's to actually smoke a cigarette? I do know that they need to have a pack in their inventory, but i dont know how to able em to use it.

I also got a problem getting my NPC vendor to sleep with the Sandbox Package. I got everything checked Eat, sleep, wander etc.

Mattresses placed inside the cell his in. He just won't use it. The same with Furniture. He just keeps walking 2-3 steps back and forward, like a moron. I would love some help with this..

Also, the problem with "races". I can use Caucasion, Hispanic and Ghoul. But Asian and Afro American won't work. The textures work inside the GECK, but once i test the esp out on Fallout, its reset to Hispanic/Caucasion. Any help with that would also help me a lot.

And.. Since im already asking a lot of questions - How do i add excisting topics to my NPC vendor? I can only get the ShowBarterMenu to work with a custom topic, not a existing one. Through a Vendor Quest. Any ideas?

Is there a way to make use of a Real World radio channel in Fallout? I mean, wouldnt it be nice to hear about good/bad news, a few nice songs playing while you scavange the waste? I'd like to use some Norwegian Channel, since im norwegian. Is this possible?

This is a "project" where im trying to repopulate the empty stores throughout the Wasteland. Im quite sick of being alone all the time, with only a few other wastelanders in sight. I do know the basics, but every single advice would help me a lot. So if anyone could post script codes i.e "ShowBarterMenu" , A few tips & Tricks would also be apriciated. :)

First, read the tutorials on the GECK wiki. Then, watch the tutorial videos on bethesdas youtube channel. (you may have to log in, as they are rated for adults)

Links to both are in this post: Link. Then check the articles section on the Fo3 Nexus. Then, see how bethesda did it.

Then, and only then, are you allowed to trouble others with questions. And NOT by starting 11 topics in 4 days! Some of which overlap.

Congrats Tubal on your promotion to moderator... :down:

For conversations, it is easiest to find an existing conversation in game and copy it.

I have found that it is pretty easy to get them to do it by accident, just by adding lines to the conversations tab in your quest.

For the sleep/furniture issue, make sure the bed/chair is either unowned, or owned by your NPC. Your cell also needs to be navmeshed. If it's not, they won't be able to reach the furniture. If you got all that, then you're probably just not waiting long enough, they seem to choose at random during sandbox. It's not like they go to sleep at night. If you want them to sleep at night you need to give them a sleep package and set the schedule.

There are a couple of different skin issues. For one, you need to make your esp a master. For the 2nd, you need to make sure one of your .ini files has the line bloadfacegenegtfiles=1

Sorry this is from memory, I can't remember which file has this line.

To add existing topics to your NPC, find the line you want and add a condition, GetIsID = myNPC

The radio question... probably not, but maybe with some hackery. If you figure it out let us know.

I think that covers it.

Congrats Tubal on your promotion to moderator... :down:

For conversations, it is easiest to find an existing conversation in game and copy it.

I have found that it is pretty easy to get them to do it by accident, just by adding lines to the conversations tab in your quest.

For the sleep/furniture issue, make sure the bed/chair is either unowned, or owned by your NPC. Your cell also needs to be navmeshed. If it's not, they won't be able to reach the furniture. If you got all that, then you're probably just not waiting long enough, they seem to choose at random during sandbox. It's not like they go to sleep at night. If you want them to sleep at night you need to give them a sleep package and set the schedule.

There are a couple of different skin issues. For one, you need to make your esp a master. For the 2nd, you need to make sure one of your .ini files has the line bloadfacegenegtfiles=1

Sorry this is from memory, I can't remember which file has this line.

To add existing topics to your NPC, find the line you want and add a condition, GetIsID = myNPC

The radio question... probably not, but maybe with some hackery. If you figure it out let us know.

I think that covers it.

Thanks for the support. Im just eager to get startet, thats why i seem to post a lot of posts. Thats what i'v been looking for, conserning the sleep & conversation question. :) Thanks for being kind, and for the responses.

• 2 weeks later...

With the sleeping issue, have you made sure the bed has a furnature marker on it? If there's no furnature marker on there, they can't be interacted with, and they are just static.

With the smoking issue, double click on your NPC in the main menu to edit them and add the 'smoker faction' to their factions tab. That should be the missing ingredient :)

You can make idle chatter (which is the NPCs conversing with each other) in the quest menu where you keep all of their conversations. Open the main Fallout 3 exe master file and have a look in the 'ConvMegaton' quest under the 'conversation' tab. I learnt a lot of what I needed to learn for my mods by studying what BethSoft did themselves :)

Hope I helped a little :)

With the sleeping issue, have you made sure the bed has a furnature marker on it? If there's no furnature marker on there, they can't be interacted with, and they are just static.

With the smoking issue, double click on your NPC in the main menu to edit them and add the 'smoker faction' to their factions tab. That should be the missing ingredient :)

You can make idle chatter (which is the NPCs conversing with each other) in the quest menu where you keep all of their conversations. Open the main Fallout 3 exe master file and have a look in the 'ConvMegaton' quest under the 'conversation' tab. I learnt a lot of what I needed to learn for my mods by studying what BethSoft did themselves :)

Hope I helped a little :)

Amazing. And i did check that there was a furniture marker on it, i can also sleep on it. It just seems my toons dont want to. :P

The smoking answer is brilliant, thanks a lot! :)

I'll check into the conversation "tip" later, right now im quite into Diablo 2, hehe. I guess i'll get some spirit back now that i got some tips. :)