Female Cousland and Dairren

Lehcar

I don't get why Ser Gilmore is forbidden if Dairren isn't. They are both in service to the Couslands and they are both sons of "minor lords". I guess forbidden just makes him more desirable. Personally, after hooking my Cousland gal up with a couple of times with Ser Gilmore, I found him rather annoying and would actually prefer Dairren. It ticks me off when Roland tells me I suck at fighting and I stink. And his "there's a reason why I'm the best knight of Highever" when in a fight makes me want to gag. To quote Duncan, I "was always his first choice". He wouldn't settle for second best. :P

Is most of this information from books? I don't remember much of a conversation with him at all in the game.

From talking to your (child of Cousland's) mother and his mother (the drunk) it can be determined that he is the son of Bann Loren and when you do the King's Confidant quest (first part of Return to Ostagar) it tells you what a reprehensible piece of human garbage his father is.

I wondered if his dad was the same bann loren they were talking about in King's Confidant.....for the couslands to be thought of so highly, they do associate with some more than questionable people....

Is most of this information from books? I don't remember much of a conversation with him at all in the game.

Based on the game he is OK I felt sorry for him, but not marriage material.

It's based on the game. Lady Landra is introduced to you as Bann Loren's wife, and you have the option of asking her if she was drunk. And as a male you can ask her about hitting on you at the same ball you mother mentions. Dairren is then introduced by Landra as her son.

OK got it now, as I've never used the 'drunk' line on his mother, I'm too polite to use it and not playing male roles I wouldn't even have had that line, I did choose the line to meet him later but didn't read too much into that as it's just a line that doesn't go anywhere. The Return to Ostagar went completely over my head, I didn't make the connection, no wonder the wife is a drunk married to a b* like that. I still feel sorry for the son.

I think the Howe's and Loren's get a bad rap due to the actions of one member of the family. In Awakening Natahaniel expands on the Howe's, and for the Loren's situation I get the impression that Mama Cousland and Lady Landra may even be childhood friends, and Papa Cousland taking Dairren under his wing to train him gives me the impression that they both do not want to persecute the entire family due to the actions of one man. This may also be why they become an easy target for Loghain and Rendon. The Cousland willingness to leave the past in the past (Loren family, trips to Orlais, etc) makes them easy prey for a pair that are trying to relive their former glory, and a blight that gives them opportunity to exploit it. In the case of Dairren, MC's motivation might be twofold; one for getting her daughter married and having grandkids, but the second to help out an old friend who's name has been drug through the mud and family diminished.

what an excellent point danscott, yeah dude - i can dig it

i never liked douchey-douche-dairren for a few reasons, all of them having to do with his personality though. i dont think... lets just call him triple D before i destroy the vibes, ahem, that tre-D was a bad person - more like someone trying to do the best he could with the cards at his disposal considering the environment he's brought up in. one thing for sure is when you're not at the very bottom, but high enough to see what the top could be like - it's safe to say it can easily create envy, bitterness or name your nasty when watching from the side-lines. this was painfully transparent in howe during the first 10 minutes of my first play through. i saw his little squirrel face and said - yup - this little gerbil bastard is gonna screw me first chance he gets. his snide..bah let's not talk about rats

if you look at tre-d - yeah. the poor bastard is as dull as a butter knife, i mean this guy couldnt work a crowd of kindergartners even if his life depended on it. but put his laughable personality aside, he's truly not your enemy, personally i didnt even get the feeling of "closet-hate" even when i was foul towards him. the whole time he's well mannered. he responded fairly well to any positive feedback rolled in his direction. i mean what do we want from these people. they fully respect your family's title & are probably the best chance you'll ever get of having a "friend" that doesnt feel like a servant around you, hence making any kind of interaction/communication completely based off of your title and not your character/personality.

with tight-ass crowd like the noble folk appeared to be from my perspective, i would gladly welcome a friend of the family that breaks the snob routine and sorta jokes around about being drunk and hitting on you. it must be refreshing compared to a constant "yes m'lord, yes your grace" kinda crap that , at least in my opinion, would drive me insane after 30 seconds. at least you can choot the chit with this guy and not have him act like some sorta star-struck groupie that probably couldn't handle your interest were it even there to begin with. where can a cousland go without being recognized, would be nice to just be part of the common crowd & to live a little i say. anyway i completely forgot what my point was supposed to be, so ill end it now but really wish we coulda touched ground regarding Iona, only so much i can say about a dude i barely care for, but respect more or less

heh

p.s. anyone else notice lady landra has whiskers...sorta? maybe? for some reason i remember her having whiskers...

BAHAH!