Lighting Issue

JimboUK

jim_uk - Hello!

Is the affected tile a piece of landscape or a kit piece mesh?

If it is a kit piece mesh (a place-able square that you bolt together) then open it in Nifskope & check if it has an NiAlhpaProperty.

If it does, make sure it's Flag is not 4845 as that can have a strange darkness in light effect simillar to what's going on in your video.

Models that come out of Blender tend to get their NiAlhpaProperty changed to 4845 no matter what it was going in. It's fine for some things but problematic for others.

If it's NiAlhpaProperty Flags is 4845, change it to 4844 with a Threshold of 160.

If it's not a kit piece mesh but a part of the landscape then it's possibly a strange issue that can happen with lighting. The excellent mod Streetlights has a few instances where the ground flickers where the light falls & it's never been worked out exactly what the cause is.

I looked into it a few times & the best I could come up with was that it seems to be when multiple light objects overlap on the same area.

Moving the light objects further apart or reducing their strength so that they don't clash seems to work.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

It's the landscape, the pool mesh there is fine as is the adjacent house which is lit up like a Christmas tree. I tried moving them apart but it's still happening. It is something I had noticed with the streetlights mod, there's a really bad example of it in Novac as you enter the motel. I'm going to surround the pool with rocks and whatever else I can find to hide it, the rocks from Red Rock Canyon look quite good in the light there, there's also some with dirt on the top which I can populate with plants, thanks for your reply.

It's a bug in the lighting engine, it becomes more pronounced the brighter the light is too. Certain meshes become black if you have a pipboy light mod that increases the brightness by 5x for instance... I've been struggling with the issue for some time trying to figure out what exactly causes it.

I spent several hours at it and got nowhere, I tried smaller lights, bigger lights, brighter, dimmer, all sorts and no luck. I went ahead and surrounded that area with rocks which isn't really what I wanted but it's better than having a flashing ground.

16178734575_6cf3323e57_o.jpgPlayer Home WIP Pool Night by Jim_UK, on Flickr

Sup Jim,

There is a max amount of lights you can use per cell/worldspace block "think I remember it having something to do with a shader limit of sorts.. Can't remember what it is off hand "think 4" but the only work around is creating a ground mesh.nif to replace the visible area of ground. Sometimes you can tweak it just enough in geck by spacing the lighting nodes and then hitting Ctrl F5 in the render window to reset the render. if it still flashes during movement in geck then it will do so also in game.

~Rez

Edited by RayV12

• 2 years later...

Not sure if this is related, but I got a very similar problem. As you can see on this picture...

weird_light.jpg

... the light impacting on a mesh is very weird. The mesh was exported in Blender, and in the cell there's only one light source, so what mentioned RayV12 above is not my case.

Here's the mesh, if someone wants to look at it...

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cm3mdpn9ctsm9pz/BMdlc05mzpitmid01.nif

Thanks for any help.