Saving mods and such for a windows reinstall

hlaalu24

Hi guys, I hope this is the right section to post this in, I'm having trouble finding an answer online. I'm upgrade my comp and I'm going to do a fresh windows install but I want to make sure all my mods get saved correctly so I don't have to deal with missing data and such when I try to load one of my saved games.

I plan to save my whole oblivion folder, reinstall windows, reinstall oblivion and the patch, then copy/replace the folder with the one I saved. The windows version is going to be the same, Windows 7 64-bit. And I'll replace my saved games folder too. Will this work? Thanks for the replies, or links to an answer.

Yep, it should work. I've done exactly that on my x64 Windows 7 machine. So long as you reinstall anything that was installed the first time (Oblivion, SI, DLC, the Unofficial Patches, etc.), then copy your old folder over the top of your fresh install, you should be fine.

It sounds like it'll be installed in the exact same folder as before but be aware that if you change folders that could cause some problems.

Yep, it should work. I've done exactly that on my x64 Windows 7 machine. So long as you reinstall anything that was installed the first time (Oblivion, SI, DLC, the Unofficial Patches, etc.), then copy your old folder over the top of your fresh install, you should be fine.

It sounds like it'll be installed in the exact same folder as before but be aware that if you change folders that could cause some problems.

Cool thanks, I hope it works. It's a pain getting this game setup how you want it, but it's worth it in the end.

It works. My only problem the last time I did this was that Oblivion refused to see my saved .ini file and I had to let it generate a new one. Had something to do with "ownership" of the file or something. Redoing the .ini was easier than fiddling with Windows settings.

Someone over at the Beth forums had this same sort of topic. They had some problems though. He basically ended up having to reinstall EVERYTHING and he had like 300+ mods at the time, including having to redo his Bash patch. However, I think he was also getting a whole new computer or something and not just reinstalling Windows.

Desu, are you "ridin' dirty"?

If you change any hardware at all - new hard drive, amount of ram, etc. Your Oblivion.ini will need to be regenerated before it will recognize the new hardware. Just delete (or rename) the original one and the next time you start the game it will generate a new one based on the new hardware.

As you are reinstalling the base game anyway, you don't need to overwrite it. just the data folder for the mods, and the save game folder for the saved games.

You will need to reinstall your Oblivion, Shivering Isles and if needed the latest patch. Then OBSE, OBMM and Wrye Bash also will need reinstalling. BOSS, and any other utility that is fully inside the data folder will be fine without a reinstall. Do all of these before replacing the data folder - any part of the utility that is included in the data folder will then overwrite the new install giving you exactly what you have now.

If you change any hardware at all - new hard drive, amount of ram, etc. Your Oblivion.ini will need to be regenerated before it will recognize the new hardware.

Ah ok then that explains it. I think this was about the time my husband upgraded my computer to 8gb of ram.