New to this Trouble With...

Maleagant

I'm new to adding Mods to Oblivion. I've tried downloading a multitude of them and I'm sure most work.. However, my problem isn't specifically with the mods that add weapons armor etc, My problem is:

I can't get any of the Body replacement mods to work.. period. I've followed their readme's to the letter, I've used OBMM and Manual installs, I've tried for about 6 hours now doing everything I can think of to make them work, But whenever I open the game up, The character creation screen is always the same, No extras, No different Bodies or faces or anything, and even after I create a character, It looks exactly the same.

I am at a loss for how people are getting these characters created and playing with them in game. Especially when I see screen shots of the char creation menu with a ton of options that even when installed correctly Eyecandy and a plethora or other mods fail to show up even when the Data files and Mod manager says they are active.

Getting really frustrated and any Specific instructions step by step or whatever help would be greatly appreciated, I bought the pc version specifically for this stuff, I thuaght it would be as easy as "Install the mod and Play", apparently.. I was wrong. :P

So any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Hi Maleagant.

Body replacements are mostly Omod ready so use that option (Open Oblivion Mod Manager > Create > Add Archive and select the file )

Also try using Archive Invalidation ( Oblivion Mod Manger > Utilities )

If you have a lot of mods, make sure you use BOSS to sort out your load order , also Wrye Bash is recommended :)

Well, it is as easy as "Install the mod and play". Body replacers are accomplished by simply putting the meshes and textures in the right place in your Data folder. The game looks there first, and only goes to the .bsa files after it doesn't find anything.

So I have to ask, what version do you have? Did you get it off Direct 2 Drive or Impulse? Those have extra encryption and might not work the same way. The best way to get this game, if you want to mod it, is to buy a copy of the physical disc.

I don't recommend OMOD's. Sure they're easier, but then you have no idea what's going on in your Data folder. Taking the time to learn to mod manually is way better.

I baught the game from walmart and have the disk.

I have not tried the Create / Archive, I could not figure it out honestly and there are many many files which are selectable and I honestly have no idea which of the files im supposed to archive, I'll try it in a minuet and see what happens though :). And yes I prefer Modding manualy.

as far as the texture / stuff is concerned I place all of the correct files in the correct folders. It just doesnt seem to be working. I may try deleteing everything and getting some sleep then reinstalling tomorow with everything fresh and trying again.

Going to try the creat / archive thing right now and see if that works.

Thanks for the help I'll let you know what happens any other suggestions or help appreciated.

Thanks

>>>> Edit>>>

It also seems that even though when Manualy installing the mods even though they are in the correct folders and the Game data launcher says they are their I still see no results in game. And the Body replacement stuff doesnt show up on the Data file managment in the Oblivion launcher.

Is there a specific Body replacement Mod I should start with and does anyone have the link?

Most body re placers do not have an esp part, so they will not show in the data list.

A body replacer replaces the body only, not the face or clothing. Try undressing your character - or kill & undress an NPC to see if the body looks any different.

It's not a good idea to have multiple body replacers - the game only recognizes one female and one male.

Here is a troubleshooting tip - revert your game to vanilla using this procedure.

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=340

Now take a good look at a vanilla body before making any changes - You should be able to use a save from just after you exited the sewer as you likely didn't have many mods then. If not, you may have to go into god mode (TGM) and kill a male and a female The blades have each - then undress them (take all of their armor) to get a good look at a vanilla body.

Now exit the game and install ONE body replacer - the simplest way is to extract the zipped mod directly into the data folder - don't worry about what folders it goes in as most unzipping programs (7-zip, winrar & Winzip) will create any folders needed and place all files in the proper place for you.

Now go back into the game and repeat the process of looking at a body - compare what you see with the vanilla - the most obvious difference will be that the new body will be naked (unless you use the underwear option on the new body)

Now, if you have a working body, you can reverse the vanilla and remove any extra bodies you have installed. Install the one you actually want and TEST it. Then if you want the opposite sex body do that one and TEST it.