technically challenged asking for advice about mods

spyder7723

You are well on your way Spyder. You wouldn't believe how many "experienced" modders have stumbled on the OCO v2 install. You're getting the hang of this.

When getting stuff for Vija to wear the same rules apply that Ike pointed out. Right now all females in your game use the Roberts female mesh, and MUST use Roberts female clothes/armor. There is a way to change that for individual NPCs (or on a per race basis) using Blockhead, which you now have installed and working. It's simply renaming some files and putting them in the correct folders, so if you run into something you just absolutely must have for Vilja (or your character if you play female) let us know.

- Edit - As long as your posts don't break any of the Terms of Service for the site you won't run into any moderator trouble ... this is your thread (and you can have as many others as you want). Ike and I could get into a bit of hand slapping if we get to our usual kibitzing and poking fun at one another (called thread hijacking) ... but unless someone complains that's not too likely even when we're breaking the letter of the law. And by the way Ike ... what makes you think I'd have any knowledge of naked female characters ... have I developed some kind of false reputation or something?? HaHaHa

Edited by Striker879

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Striker is not exaggerating, having a properly and fully functional installation of OCO v2 at the first try is so uncommon that in some past times, this feat would had you ending in a flaming pyre. Or at least, pursued by a torchs-and-spikes-wielding mob.

A note about ugly-looking NPCS: eventually, you will want to try some Quest Mods (Kragenir's Death Quest is quite frankly hilarious and highly recommendable, not for the quality of the quests themselves, but for the totally bananas sense of humour of its creator). If these Quest Mods have no OCO v2 patches available, their NPCs will look deformed, warped, terrifying. This is normal, since they were modeled after the vanilla look of the characters. The only way to solve it is straight editing their Face assets using the Construction Set.

Now I need to light up my torch and sharpen my spike. See you later, Spyder.

Cheers!

hey guys. wanted to drop a line that everything is still working great. thanks tons for all your help getting my brain to understand things. but one question, my video settings don't save on exit. any idea what I did to break that, or what to do to fix it? im talking about draw distance and such. the in game settings.

Are you getting the crash on exit a lot (it is after all one of the "features" of modded Oblivion) ? One of the things that doesn't happen when you get the exit crash is Oblivion.ini isn't updated.

Try this ... start the game and make your changes to settings without doing anything else. Save in a new slot using the Esc menu and make sure that all hard drive activity has stopped before you return to the game. Now immediately exit and hopefully you don't crash on exit. See if your changes stick then.

it has always crashed on exit ever since my first attempt to add in the unofficial patches. thanks for the suggestion. i tried it, but the game just continues to crash on exit. its not a big deal, more of an annoyance factor of having to adjust volume and draw distances every load. certainly not worth uninstalling and reinstalling again.

Ya I noticed my crash on exit percent chance went up after I started using the UOP too. It fixes/changes a lot of stuff, so it qualifies in the "overhaul" category for mod size and the extent it affects the base game.

We can get those adjusted in Oblivion.ini although if you aren't able to use the max settings it may take some tinkering to get values your machine can handle. First give me a list of the things you are needing to adjust in the game settings menu and whether or not you're moving the slider to the far right (max) or about where in between. I'll adjust mine to about the same and then get the INI settings for each.

Where would we be without you Drake ... I knew that but didn't think of it!!

Alright Spyder ... next time you go into your game and after you get your settings the way you'd like them open the in-game console using the tilde (~) key found just below the Esc key on standard keyboards. The console prompt is just a slowly flashing - in the lower left area of the screen. At the console prompt type "saveini" without the quote marks and then hit Enter. Close the console again with the tilde key and exit the game. Start the game again and see if this has been another case of "Drake to the rescue!!".

Edited by Striker879