The Best A-Bomb Fix?

Inafog

Oblivion Animation Fixer (OAF) isn't a mod, it's an executable so I don't think NMM can run it (but I'm the last anti-NMM guy, so I know diddly about it).

I have used OAF in the past and now use Wrye Bash for my A-Bomb fixing. With OAF you need to rename a copy of your OBSE co-save to match your fixed save (or use TheRoman's method of renaming the fixed save to match the co-save). With Wrye this isn't necessary, it makes a backup of the save and co-save by appending and f to the extension (so MySave007.ess becomes MySave07.essf and the co-save MySave07obse becomes MySave07.obsef) all in Saves\Bash\Backups.

As far as I can tell, fixed with one is the same kind of fixed with the other, so it's just a case of whether you already use Wrye Bash or not, and whether you want to take care of coordinating the save/co-saves yourself or not.

I don't use Wrye Bash. But, I manually installed Animation Fixer and the problem was immediately... fixed. In fact, the flames in fireplaces and torches now move, if anything, too fast. I think it even improved my frame rate. I hope it lasts.

Nope ... that's not how the A-Bomb works. The troublesome byte gradually accumulates changes until the animations start getting stuck again. With OAF you can see the state of the troublesome byte in the box named Byte (third one over from the FixMe button). I'd run OAF whenever it got up to 48 myself, but generally even before I'd think to check in OAF I'd start to see the Legion rider's torches flames get a bit "lazy" and streaming little bits of flame.

You can't hurt anything by running OAF providing you remember to keep the co-save name aligned with the fixed save name (so the fixed save OAF_MySave005.ess has it's co-save MySave005.obse renamed to OAF_MySave005.obse to match the fixed save name).

Yes, if the problem occurs I will run Animation Fixer again. I understand that the a-bomb is caused by an incremental increase of this Byte number until it reaches 49. I just hope that won't be for a while--the problem occurred at about 300 hours; maybe if it's delayed until 600 I'll be done playing this character.

I do wonder why this very serious problem was/is not fixed by Bethesda, or why some mod or file cannot be concocted to eliminate it. Reading some posts on various forums dating from when the a-bomb first made itself known is almost heartbreaking--some players seemed ready to slash their wrists in despair when their long-term games were apparently destroyed in an instant. Surely a permanent, pre-ready solution to this problem is, or at least was, more important than designing another body mesh for another top-heavy anime elf or one to make bricks look a little more realistic. :blush:

After patch 1.2.0416 Bethesda turned it's full attention elsewhere. Any fixing from that point on has been our responsibility ... Oblivion got Steamed and now Steam makes the big bucks from it and Bethesda takes their skim from the pot. Cash cow is all it is to them.

- Edit - My A-Bomb experience suggests that you won't get the full 300 to the next time. That's why I stay alert to the Legion rider's torch flames and re-OAF.

Edited by Striker879