Making Dialogue

niccolo

Hey all;

I'm currently working on a mod and I've reached everyone's favourite part... making the necessary NPC capable of talking. Currently I have her all set up nicely; most of her AI is down pat (I blatantly copied Flak's and then edited it to suit, so that was easy enough) and her shop is running nicely too.

However...

I can't make dialogue! I followed the tutorial on the geck.bethsoft.com website and when I get to the part where the dialogue box is open and it says "Right click on the left hand pane and select 'new dialogue'" I get flummoxed. Nothing happens if I right-click anywhere.

I don't want to add the data the messy way - a new hidden quest that starts automatically, since I recall reading somewhere that that is a cluttered way to do it... what steps am I missing?

Ok, so you're in your quest and you have the topics tab open?

1. Right click on the very far left side of the window where your topics are ('editor ID'), and go to 'add topic'.

2. This brings up another box, a list of lots of topics.

3. Left click on this box and choose 'new''.

4. Name your topic.

5. Double click your named topic to add it to the editor ID list.

6. Left click to highlight your new topic.

7. Add a topic text (what your NPC will say).

8. Right click on the blank space in the 'info' window.

9. Choose 'new'.

10. Add a response text (what your NPC will say in response to your question or statement) and click OK.

The topic is added! Make sure you add their GetIsID to the 'conditions' window on the lower screen, which you can only do when you have added a response to the conversation.

And that's a very basic dialogue walk through. Hope it helped :) if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

You're welcome :) yeah, I think the dialogue pane is mostly there just for reference so you know what the topics your NPC will use, but I agree, it's very useless when you can just check most of this on the quest options anyway.