Oblivion Constantly Crashing While Playing

Iameggman

I've never used it, so I don't have any personal experience with it, but I believe the key chain mod has a reputation for adding to the crashing problem. The memory is a bit foggy, but I think the Fort Grief key was also a problem ... not sure if it's only a problem with the key chain mod or just by itself. My current guy hasn't tried saving Aleron yet, but previous characters have and carried around the Fort Grief key without any grief (but then again I also haven't tried dropping it out of my inventory either to see if it makes a difference).

Crashing is a "feature" of modded Oblivion, but by all means work towards reducing the crashes.

I've been trying for the last 2 days to get the crashes to reduce, I've ran the optimizing program ''Ordenador'' I ran the program with the Textures folder in the browse bar, by time it finished, It apparently free'd nearly 4GB with the loss of minimal image quality, you can go further with the compression rate, with there being Minimum, Medium and Maximum. I chose Maximum. You can also use it to optimize your BSA's but I did try that but I had to close it because It ran out of memory apparently, however I do still get crashes. I have 8GB of RAM but I'm thinking of buying an extra 4GB of Corsair Vengence. The 8GB I have at the moment are standard DDR3 1330MHZ made by the PC shop Novatech (UK).

Whether adding more RAM to my system will help, I don't know.

Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop Sandybridge Ready Is the name of RAM I'm thinking of getting from Scan.

It'll increase my RAM to 12.

About enabling Oblivion to use more RAM, I've read on another forum about how the Steam version and OBSE files also need to be enabled to use more than 2GB, I did try this but I'm still getting constant crashes, sometimes I can play for 30 minutes, and sometimes it's 3.

Edited by Iameggman

Thanks for the tip Striker, I will disable keychain now and post results after some testing.

lameggman: I'm completely sure that anything more than 8GB of RAM is useless for gaming, even for the newest games. Oblivion is limited to 4Gb with NTCore patch so it won't profit either.

Ordenador is very usefull tool if you have graphic card with small VRAM and still want to use lot of texture packs. It helped me a lot with Skyrim. I run out of VRAM because a lot of texture mods and the game was stuttering as hell. I had around 45 fps but it was unplayable anyway. I think you don't have to use it for Oblivion with your graphic card.

I know that just adding more RAM won't help really, but it's just for reassurance, I'm very sad about how the game just keeps crashing after all that work actually figuring out how to get all these mods to work. I had planned out all the mods I was going to install but... The game just doesn't like it, and it's a grim reality that I'm trying to hide. I'll probably just start over again, but add less which just frustrates me in everyway. Or I might just move on to Fallout 3 or New Vegas. I basically uninstalled all my Bethesda games to stop me from playing them to have long break and then come back and mod the hell out of them, since I've never done a full on, intensively modded playthrough of them before and I've learn't a lot.

The few moments I do get to play are just a tease as the game looks great, and it even runs great but those crashes just happen at anytime, and it makes you lose the determination to play at all because you know it's going to happen.

Edited by Iameggman

I Installed Oblivion Reloaded and by luck or by this mod, I actually got a few more minutes of gameplay before the inevitable crash of doom. The mod itself looked nice, with the subtle depth of field, the new shaders and lighting but I missed my old sunbeams and godrays, I wonder if I can add the ones I had before.

But, because I'm still crashing, I think i'll just uninstall on steam, and then delete whatever folders are left and just start with... -gulp- less mods. I'll move my fresh Oblivion folder backup, back to C/Games. Although I can't actually load the exe from the desktop or Oblivion folder as I get application error with a bunch of numbers. The game only starts through launching from the Steam library and even launching through RazorCortex.

Should I uninstall Oblivion on Steam or just remove the folders manually then add my fresh backup?

Have a look through Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure to see if it mentions anything that you should be doing that you aren't (or haven't in the past ... sounds like this uninstall/re-install cycle isn't your first)

Removing the folders manually will only leave a hopelessly tangled Windows registry ... not surprising that you can't start the game from the desktop.

Oblivion Reloaded has quite a bit of documentation to read before you'll fully understand all it's capable of and also what can be used with it and what can't. The memory management option with less study involved is Memeory purger - extended if you're already using OBGE. Improved Water has some requirements you need to understand first before using that option. Neither Oblivion Reloaded or Memory purger - extended fall into the "drop in Data and forget about it" category.

After I removed Keychain and start to use Memory purger - extended, it seems that my game is much more stable now. I played for 40 minutes and no crash so far. I also realized that Keychain is obsolete if you are using Darnified UI. Thanks for all your tips, I will let you know after few hours of gameplay if the CTDs are gone completely.

I'd normally run the uninstaller through steam, then go and delete the files that are left, but I will read through that guide on how to uninstall properly. But I won't uninstall just yet, I'll do a few other things, deactivate a few mods here and there, start a new game see what happens. I'm not using OBGE, liquid water and the ENBoost mods anymore, just Oblivion Reloaded and Streamline.

Glad your game is running well Morokura, hope it stays that way.

That guide is mostly geared towards the disk versions of the game, so with the Steam version you won't be able to use it as a step by step guide. The registry cleaning part will still apply, especially if you've moved your Steam/Oblivion install location some time in the past. Sounds to me like you already have a pretty good grasp on what folders and files to backup.