Oblivion spikes for 15 seconds during Save!

okokokok

well, if its not bloted saves and its not the 4 or 5 exstra files created each save and its not a messy save folder ( i cleaned it) than what is it?

Are you on Win7 or win Vista? If so you might want to turn off indexing for your save game directory.

------------

To turn off indexing, (instructions for win7 which is what I have)

1. Find your save game directory.

2. Right click on it and select Properties.

3. On the General tab of the properties window, click on the Advanced button in the Attributes section.

4. In the Advanced Attributes window, uncheck "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties".

5. Select Okay in the Advanced Attributes window

6. Select Okay in the save game directory Properties window.

7. When the Confirm Attribute Changes window pops up, verify that it says "disable indexing" and make sure that "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" is selected before clicking the Okay button.

You are done.

I recently had this exact same problem. I figured it out because I emailed one of the authors of OBSE, and his answer got me looking in the right direction.

My problem was not bloat in the save game file, but bloat in the OBSE save file, which Wrye Bash does not clean.

I had to upgrade Wrye Bash and use the .obse Statistics function. Right Click on your save game file and select .obse Statistics. It will list every record in the file, that uses OBSE. In my case I found right away that one of them was repeated millions of times.

The culprit? Reneer's Creature Mod, which evidently adds a script record to your game file every single time an animal spawns, and then never removes it.

I disabled the mod and it took less than a second to quicksave.

So try that. You might have a mod that bloats the .obse file, rather than the .ess file.

The above advice is good and likely true. I should have looked closer at your pic previously. Your OBSE save file is extremely bloated according to the size of the file. Take a look at your files; On the 2nd of July your OBSE file was only 45 kb. Now your most recent save on the 14th October your OBSE file is 5.7 MB! 5.7MB worth of script functions, holy sh....! It's larger than your actual Oblivion save file, the ess file which is only 3.8 MB. As mentioned by Megatarius examine your OBSE file through Wrye Bash and you should be able to find the culprit. Something is not right, definitely.

To give you a reference; My Oblivion save file after nearly 1000 saves, 150 -ish active ESP files, and around 300 hours, my ESS file is 6.5 MB. My OBSE file for the exact same save is a mere 335 kb.

I apologize for the oversight earlier and :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Megatarius for mentioning that.

I recently had this exact same problem. I figured it out because I emailed one of the authors of OBSE, and his answer got me looking in the right direction.

My problem was not bloat in the save game file, but bloat in the OBSE save file, which Wrye Bash does not clean.

I had to upgrade Wrye Bash and use the .obse Statistics function. Right Click on your save game file and select .obse Statistics. It will list every record in the file, that uses OBSE. In my case I found right away that one of them was repeated millions of times.

The culprit? Reneer's Creature Mod, which evidently adds a script record to your game file every single time an animal spawns, and then never removes it.

So try that. You might have a mod that bloats the .obse file, rather than the .ess file.

Thanks a Whole bunch for your advice!

Reneer's Creature Mod was the culprit in my instance as well. i checked .obse statistics now and its just a never-ending list of Reneer's Creature mod xD

5.7MB worth of script functions, holy sh....!

LoL very funny observation xD made me laugh hysterically when i read it. :biggrin:

Anyway its all good now Thanks :)

Yep! The creature mod it is! I disablded it and it works fine. Thanks a million!

Though it looks like every little forest critter is again an enemy of the Champion of Cyrodiil! :D

well, if its not bloted saves and its not the 4 or 5 exstra files created each save and its not a messy save folder ( i cleaned it) than what is it?

Are you on Win7 or win Vista? If so you might want to turn off indexing for your save game directory.

------------

To turn off indexing, (instructions for win7 which is what I have)

1. Find your save game directory.

2. Right click on it and select Properties.

3. On the General tab of the properties window, click on the Advanced button in the Attributes section.

4. In the Advanced Attributes window, uncheck "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties".

5. Select Okay in the Advanced Attributes window

6. Select Okay in the save game directory Properties window.

7. When the Confirm Attribute Changes window pops up, verify that it says "disable indexing" and make sure that "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" is selected before clicking the Okay button.

You are done.

It definitely helps but I still had to remove reneer's creature mod until I got it back to completely normal saving time. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Whenever I Google some Oblivion problem, I end up right here. I just had this start happening just the other day and KNEW it was a new mod since I've never seen this before, so I tried deactivating all the more recent ones and reactivating them one at a time. I didn't bother deactivating the creature mod, since I figured a little thing like that couldn't wreak such havoc now, could it?

Anyway, although this is a pretty old thread, I want to thank Megatarius for the fix and also Shadowfen for the indexing hint - I tried that first and I noticed that the problem went from completely intolerable to only frustrating, so I'm leaving the indexing off.

Might be worth messaging Reneer about the problem - he might do an update to solve it. He was certainly still active a few weeks back when I messaged him about another mod.

Okay, I think the OP problem is Streamline. If you are using Streamline, DISABLE the following in Oblivion.ini:

bSaveOnInteriorExteriorSwitch=0

bSaveOnRest=0

bSaveOnTravel=0

bSaveOnWait=0

And ENABLE:

bAllowScriptedAutosave=1

Now be sure that your StreamSave section in sl.ini looks like this:

set SLv.SaveTimer to 5 ; Autosave interval (in actual minutes)

set SLv.NumSaveSlots to 1 ; Number of save slots to use (Max: 60)

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set SLv.DuringCombat to 0 ; Allow save during combat?

set SLv.WhileYielding to 0 ; Allow save while yielding?

set SLv.DangerousArea to 0 ; Allow save in dangerous environment?

set SLv.AllowTrespass to 0 ; Allow saving while trespassing?

set SLv.AllowSwimming to 0 ; Allow saving while swimming?

set SLv.AllowSneaking to 0 ; Allow saving while sneaking?

set SLv.AllowWeapon to 0 ; Allow saving while weapon out?

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

set SLv.AfterCombat to 0 ; Force a save after each combat ends?

set SLv.InteriorOnly to 0 ; Save only when indoors?

set SLv.WhenIdleOnly to 1 ; Save only when character is idle?

set SLv.AfterZone to 1 ; Save after fast-travel or door use?

set SLv.AfterWaitSleep to 1 ; Save after waiting or sleeping?

set SLv.PlaySoundOnSave to 0 ; Play a sound on save?

set SLv.GagAutoSaves to 0 ; Prevent an on-screen save message?

set SLv.SaveReminders to 0 ; Use Save Reminders instead of autosaves?

set SLv.UseLiteReminders to 0 ; Use messages (upper left area of screen) Note: requires SaveReminders enabled

set SLv.SecureAutoSaves to 1 ; Use menumode to produce a secure Note: disables multiple save slots!

set SLv.LowHealth to 0 ; Allow save while health low?

set SLv.LowHealthThreshold to 0.20 ; Don't save when health lower than x%

set SLv.SaveBeforeFastQuit to 0 ; Do a Streamsave before a Fast-Quit?

set SLv.PurgeBeforeSave to 1 ; Do a purge before a Streamsave?

Doing multiple Save slots is not recommended, Oblivion likes a clean save and doing a secure Menu save helps keep corrupted saves to a minimum.